UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

So is there a predicted date for 00? Because the UK side seem to be distancing themselves from it, which almost certainly implies not this year. And yet there's the French set, now available.

But hey, it's only us. Clearly we're not important like other territories...
So after posting this sour comment I let it stand because obviously there has been more important and tragic news in past 24 hours. However, I'd like to better outline my grievance with this topic. I'll spoiler tag it so if people want to pass it they can more easily.

So the AL license for Gundam was announced in mid 2015 not long after the similar deal for the US if I recall correctly. Since that time we have had

Zeta
ZZ
Reco
Thunderbolt movie I

Alongside this we have had screenings at events like MCM and SLA including most of The Origin episodes, in addition to The Origin, Thunderbolt and NT having import editions sold by proxy.

Now on the US side they've released near everything by this point. They also have near annual con panels, got a cinema event for NT and are getting a sizeable event for SDCC.

Now as I've acknowledged in the past, US to UK is apples to oranges. So how about comparing things to our neighbour France, who are handled by the same company as us?

I have no real problem with making the AL releases English/French combined. Let's them cover both markets by cooperation. Except we now have a situation where France is ahead of us instead of on par with us. France also got a screening of NT, the world premiere of the first Reco movie and a visit from Tomino.

So where does that leave the UK in the middle of the 40th anniversary celebrations other regions are clearly getting treats for?...Kinda just being told to be thankful we can finally buy some of the long awaited/delayed titles. Yay?

I appreciate as a customer I am entitled to nothing. I also appreciate there are major events in play concerning how the UK is now viewed by foreign companies. But speaking as a fan I'm disappointed. If this had just been America, I'd have been sad but accepted it's hardly uncommon. But seeing the French side of the company that is responsible for the UK releases too be involved in special events and pushing the boat out whilst we get nothing by comparison during such an occasion...yeah, it's not something I care for at all.

What Gundam shows do you need to watch before wing?

(I've only actually watched Origin 1-4 and have the original series in my to watch pile and CCA on preorder.)

Wish there was a Bandit Flower EB so I could save on shipping. They're both out on the same day... Oh well, I'll probably pre-order Wing next week.

Awesome, thanks for letting me know. Theres so much Gundam stuff it can be a bit overwhelming when you don't know it!

You are around the right people if you ever wanted to get into it :p. As mentioned Wing is a seperate stand alone show set apart from the main "Universal Century" series. Seed, 00, Iron Blooded Orphans etc etc are also standalone shows that require no knowledge of anything else.

(I've only actually watched Origin 1-4 and have the original series in my to watch pile and CCA on preorder.)

These are the main series. Origin is a good start point, then the original show (or the movie trilogy that is coming out soon. it is a condensed retelling which imo is superior but yymv). Just a heads up though CCA takes place after Zeta and ZZ if that matters to you.

You are around the right people if you ever wanted to get into it :p. As mentioned Wing is a seperate stand alone show set apart from the main "Universal Century" series. Seed, 00, Iron Blooded Orphans etc etc are also standalone shows that require no knowledge of anything else.

These are the main series. Origin is a good start point, then the original show (or the movie trilogy that is coming out soon. it is a condensed retelling which imo is superior but yymv). Just a heads up though CCA takes place after Zeta and ZZ if that matters to you.
Thanks for letting me know. Tbh before today I didnt realise that there were some shows totally separate from the others. It's such a big franchise that's gone on for so long that I basically ignored it as it seemed way to much to take in!

When AL did that origin 1-4 SE set seemed like a good chance to dip my toe in as it were but still wasnt sure I'd watch much more.

I'll make sure to watch Zeta and ZZ before CCA though it may be a while before I get round to it!

Thanks for letting me know. Tbh before today I didnt realise that there were some shows totally separate from the others. It's such a big franchise that's gone on for so long that I basically ignored it as it seemed way to much to take in!

When AL did that origin 1-4 SE set seemed like a good chance to dip my toe in as it were but still wasnt sure I'd watch much more.

I'll make sure to watch Zeta and ZZ before CCA though it may be a while before I get round to it!

No worries, I was in your situation once. If you want to know anything about one of the shows or a viewing order just ask :)

I'm going to spoiler my question as its about KyoAni

I'm just wondering how much trouble the recent fire at Studio 1 will cause for the upcoming UK release for Tamako Market and Love Story

Again, my thoughts over the last few days are pretty public, so I don't want this question to be seen as one of /those people/ who just want or only worry about Anime

I wouldn't worry about anything that's already out there on public release in some form. Technically it's all about localising discs. I guess there would be a delay if contracts aren't finalised or in place, but I'd guess that once a release is announced by a distributor, those things are already settled. The only thing that might cause a delay will be respect to sensitivity and timing.

Guess Just Passing Through is right for the anime itself.
However everything extra, like artworks, special features and packaging approvals may need some extra time or alternatives.

Hmmm, seems strange that its more expensive than Char's Counterattack is at the moment, given their similar length. No Early Bird for this one?
It's not actually available for pre-order yet, I'm sure they'll do an early bird when it becomes available for pre-order (I assume the reason it's not yet is so people don't buy it before the early bird). It also has the same RRP as Char's Counterattack so it'll likely be the same price.

Back