UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Yikes!
Not a deal breaker but still sucks that something like this has happened on a disk that has had to be re-done first time around.
What's the definitive release of this movie to-date then, apart from the Japanese version of course?

I have the JP release and it's perfect. If you want to be very picky, the Italian Dynit release encoded by mp3dom is the best- with less banding- but it's not worth it if you already have it.

The JP 4K one is an upscale of the original master which was a native 1920x1080, but the HDR is reference quality from what I hear- besting titles like The Revenant and Mad Max Fury Road in that regard.

Ah. 😬
I've just discovered a two-frame video glitch at 1h12m28s on the new disc of Your Name. Here's a photo off my TV screen:
View attachment 5577
Doh!
4730bbfa9252d0_full.jpg

True, but there they misspelled credits of a 40+ year old series as well. Kimi no na wa doesn't have that.

But that sucks. Whoever did the compression here made some mistakes, though not as bad as Madman.
That’s very true, and I agree that it sucks there’s still an error, but at least it’s otherwise fixed now.

Last edited:
I re-posted Neil's posts on Your Name on Blu-ray.com (with credit) and mp3dom responded in regards to the image distortion:

"Those artifacts (glitches and colored blocks) most of the times are not encoding problems but due to digitizing problems (problems when reading the master tape)"

He also commented on the Code Geass movie disc, where I asked: "If the compressionist can do huge spikes in intense moments, why is the brightness wrong?"; His response:

"Because the high spikes are decided by the encoder engine itself and not by the compressionist.
Encoders can be manually set up to 40 Mbps. Temporary spikes above 40 Mbps are decided by the encoder when some conditions are met (a sequence that demands more bits while previous/next sequence does not, and the buffer have enough space to cover those spikes).

You can manually "favour" the encoder to create spikes if you want (manually lowering bitrates in previous/next scenes and forcing a maxed out 40 Mbps for that particular sequence) but you can't ask the encoder to "give you 1 second of 60 Mbps". 99.9% of the times, those spikes are automatically generated by the encoder because its engine thinks that that way is the best choice (and if you see it's not true, you need to manually change something)."

Source

Back