UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Night is short had the exclusive poster extras, this one the artbook.

Yeah, you're probably right. I looked at the page at saw the 40 in-case booklet & thought that was the art book being mentioned. I did ask the question whether the Night is Short posters constituted the slight price hike & was met with silence, so I've been unsure whether that was going to set a new standard going forward. I recall someone else talking about prices rising a few pages back, but I'm unsure what particular metrics or examples they were using

Night is Short's poster wasn't so limited in quantity and it's still listed the same way it was (except non EB price.)
If I ordered like 4 Minutes ago, is there any way to find out before September whether or not I got into the 500 pieces with the artbook? @_@

Hey @anime_andrew what about Millennium Actress?

If you don't get it, Eureka might beat you to the punch (and they have a bigger fanbase than anime, so it would probably sell better). Still, you guys would probably have better packaging (though, they have David Mackenzie, so the encode would be superior). Either way (if you're interested or not), I'm curious if you've tried to acquire it.

Apparently AL and Kazé Germany worked together for some announcements during Animagic since Kazé used AL's trailers. It's nice seeing such collaborations.

Yeah, you're probably right. I looked at the page at saw the 40 in-case booklet & thought that was the art book being mentioned. I did ask the question whether the Night is Short posters constituted the slight price hike & was met with silence, so I've been unsure whether that was going to set a new standard going forward. I recall someone else talking about prices rising a few pages back, but I'm unsure what particular metrics or examples they were using

Been a bit busy so may have missed the initial query - sorry! Yes basically we only really move the prices when there is an extra cost involved than just producing the set there. For the Night is Short set you have to keep in mind there was the added cost of printing the poster, packing material and postage as they have to go out separately when rolled (our preference and we believe it gives you a better experience on the poster wherever possible).

For Kiznaiver it's the same thing - the book is a solid B5 size and hardback to boot so it's not far off the size of my 11 inch laptop really. It's also a solid 120 pages giving you the definitive artworks for Kiznaiver - which is something as a fan of the show I couldn't really not pass up the chance to do. Doing that does necessitate a slightly higher pre-order price on our shop but I'd say for the slight extra cost it provides something really worthwhile.

We can't do this as easily with other retailers as it all needs to fit in one package and the book + BD is hard to do so we run it on our shop as an exclusive as we have a bit more freedom on that frontier.

So ultimately, unless there's something special to add in, pricing will remain consistent for Collector's Edition product. Fear not - there's no sinister plan to raise them and if we do we'd be explaining why it's happening not just doing it & hoping nobody notices / complains :).

Hope this helps!

Andrew

Apparently AL and Kazé Germany worked together for some announcements during Animagic since Kazé used AL's trailers. It's nice seeing such collaborations.

Yeah - we're old friends with a lot of folks over there so share trailers where we can to help out :). Nothing crazy going on there just a friendly share of promo assets - always nice to see though!

Best,

AP

For Kiznaiver it's the same thing - the book is a solid B5 size and hardback to boot so it's not far off the size of my 11 inch laptop really. It's also a solid 120 pages giving you the definitive artworks for Kiznaiver - which is something as a fan of the show I couldn't really not pass up the chance to do. Doing that does necessitate a slightly higher pre-order price on our shop but I'd say for the slight extra cost it provides something really worthwhile.
Just curious. How much bribing would have been necessary for you to have done the same for Hyouka?

Just curious, as Kiznaiver's UK release is released closer to the French release, is the UK release using the French authoring or is it an in-house author from the UK?

The French release is a 9-3 split (9 on a BD-50 and 3 on a BD-25). That's what FUNimation and Sentai do. That doesn't inherently mean it'll look bad, but it may raise an eye when you remember that the French release of Re:Zero, which looked worse than the FUNimation discs, was authored in house in France.

Same thing with Lupin III Part IV. 2 BD-25s and 2 BD-50s. Very low bitrates (14.5 mbps) and lots of banding.

Because it's a 9-3 split there is no way they can use Aniplex's encoding. That was on 2 BD-50s with an even 6-6 split. I know it'll look better than Re:Zero, but to what degree, I'm not sure.

Hey @anime_andrew what about Millennium Actress?

If you don't get it, Eureka might beat you to the punch (and they have a bigger fanbase than anime, so it would probably sell better). Still, you guys would probably have better packaging (though, they have David Mackenzie, so the encode would be superior). Either way (if you're interested or not), I'm curious if you've tried to acquire it.

I drool just thinking about the 4K restoration of Millennium Actress.

Worth noting that David Mackenzie is freelance, he’s worked with a lot of the different labels in the UK - Eureka, Arrow, BFI, Second Run, Second Sight, Indicator, and I’m sure there’s more. AL could probably call upon his services, and it would be great if they did so.

Back