UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

You know, as someone once pointed out, if film has the power to corrupt minds, then BBFC members' must be the most corrupt of all, given all the terrible, shocking footage they have to sit and watch in order to be able to make their mandatory cuts to protect The Ignorant Masses from similar harm.
This theory makes too much sense.

Could end up with a Code Geass situation where Kaze just released it uncut without the knowledge of the BBFC.

Doubt that would ever happen again though.

Never Forget.

BBFC WARNING, VIEWING THE IMAGE ABOVE MAY TURN YOU INTO A PAEDOPHILE also NSFW-ish I guess.
So, I don't actually know this story. I'm guessing Kaze put Code Geass through the BBFC process, they demanded cuts, but Kaze ended up using the original uncut video?

I'm also guessing that the image ayase links to is a bit they wanted cut.

So, I don't actually know this story. I'm guessing Kaze put Code Geass through the BBFC process, they demanded cuts, but Kaze ended up using the original uncut video?

Code Geass was originally released on DVD by Beez Entertainment, which had that tiny bit cut. When Kaze later re-released it on blu-ray (and DVD again), they didn't uphold the cut.

I will never get tired of telling this story, showing the BBFC at its most ludicrous.

to obtain this category cuts of 0m 1s were required

Company was required to remove a shot likely to encourage an interest in underage sexual activity (in this case a young girl in the background of a shot suggesting sexual activity)
Seeing a flat-chested (fictional, cartoon) girl of indeterminate age watching another (fictional, cartoon) girl grope another (fictional, cartoon) girl for one second is likely to encourage an interest in underage sexual activity.

Note that it's not "vaguely possible in Mary Whitehouse's fevered dreams", it doesn't "have the potental" it's LIKELY. Viewing that still image for one second is likely to make you interested in underage sexual activity according to the BBFC.

Last edited:
Holy ****. There's a certain Rick & Morty clip that would very accurately convey my reaction to this.

I despair for humanity. (Even more than usual, I mean.)

Last edited:
If a country as notoriously litigious as the US can manage without a mandatory home video ratings body (as far as I know US video distributors aren't constantly being sued for encouraging rape, murder, suicide and child abuse the way the BBFC seem to think watching videos can) I think we'd be just fine without the BBFC.

It's funny because I constantly hear from Americans in regards to how they're jealous about how more lax Europeans are in regards to nudity from television and cinema to even education where a teacher in the US was recently fired because they showed students historical pictures that featured *gasp* nudity, one parent even called the cops lmao.

On browsing Hollywood Classics, I happened to notice that they list UK home video rights to Yugo Serikawa's The Little Prince and the Eight Headed Dragon as being available to licence from Sony. I'm unsure if they would only have the English dub, but they do list Serikawa as director whereas William Ross was credited on the US release back in 1964. I've suggested it a few times, but it is its 55th anniversary this year and would make a terrific release. It has a beautiful style of animation that was a big influence on Genndy Tartakovsky and Zelda: Wind Waker (amongst others I'm sure), and also has an incredible, arguably career-best score from Akira Ifukube (Gojira). I'm unsure if there would be an HD master available, but one would hope so (though given the subpar quality of the Prince of the Sun Blu-Rays, maybe I shouldn't be so optimistic...)

It's funny because I constantly hear from Americans in regards to how they're jealous about how more lax Europeans are in regards to nudity from television and cinema to even education where a teacher in the US was recently fired because they showed students historical pictures that featured *gasp* nudity, one parent even called the cops lmao.
They always say America doesn't give a damn about violence in media and gets flustered about sex, whereas (Western) Europe is the other way around.

Of course, being in the middle of the two as we always are, our authorities don't like either.

Has there been any word on The Place Promised in Our Early Days / Voices of a Distant Star coming back into print, or AL getting a hold of 5 centimetres per second?

My Noein hasn't shipped yet, not that it's an issue as I'm sure they're pretty busy catching up on orders so meh. Anyway...

Has anyone sent their Your Name disc back for a replacement yet? Was thinking of sending mine out today or tomorrow but wondering if it's maybe a bit early?

Personally, I'm still waiting on Noein from the Christmas sale, alongside the respective posters for the A Silent Voice and Yuasa bundles.

Back