UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Shirobako- Window seems to be closing AL like the show but no news

Just to point out, the comment about the "window closing" on Shirobako was from myself rather than Jeremy - that's my hot take based on what I've seen and heard around its western availability rather than the thoughts of Anime Limited themselves!

(And my attempts to splice together audio of Jeremy saying "Shirobako Ultimate Edition confirmed" were vetoed, sad to say ;))

That would be great, alright. Unlike Gundam Unicorn, where I brought the DVD releases, I've had to miss out on these due to the crazy prices Blu-ray prices and no DVDs. Not holding out much hope, mind you...
I'd like Thunderbolt too, but that's only just come out, so I'll give it a few years before I start whining...

Regarding Haruhi, I wonder if this means AL are entertaining the notion of putting S1 out in broadcast order. The general consensus is that, season 1 taken in isolation, broadcast order is absolutely the best way to watch the show. The existence of S2 makes that pretty much obsolete, but AL (presumably) only have S1 rights.

In any case, it's nice to have some sort of update, as small as it may be, since they've barely mentioned anything about Haruhi since they announced the had the license well over a year ago.

I think the only hope for Macross to be freed is a coalition of companies from the US, UK, AU and even non english speaking countries all get the license for Macross titles of their choosing in Japan (which I'm pretty sure they are free to do at least for everything but the original) and when Harmony Gold come a calling with their BS the companies all come together and call their bluff. This would help with any legal costs as they would be divided.

But honestly the chance of that happening are next to zero, so the only other hope is for Japan to finally do what needs to be done. But I suspect they just don't care.

How the hell does Robotech exist in Japanese?

I saw one of my friends was with the Harmony Gold guys to discuss the new Robotech comic thats coming out and it made me sick to my stomach >_<

Just to point out, the comment about the "window closing" on Shirobako was from myself rather than Jeremy - that's my hot take based on what I've seen and heard around its western availability rather than the thoughts of Anime Limited themselves!

(And my attempts to splice together audio of Jeremy saying "Shirobako Ultimate Edition confirmed" were vetoed, sad to say ;))

Ohh, I was gonna ask what that meant. Cheers for saving me the trouble :D ..I went into panic stations there..

It does make me wonder if there's something around Shirobako that's causing this lack of UK license, the show itself not being marketable? High asking price? Poor sales elsewhere? I only say as when the title pops up we've pestered each UK company & you'd (well..I!) think they would be jumping on it ..
I'll continue to hold out hope, along with Mushi Shi.

EDIT: I know I could import but I'm holding out for a UK version.

Ohh, I was gonna ask what that meant. Cheers for saving me the trouble :D ..I went into panic stations there..

It does make me wonder if there's something around Shirobako that's causing this lack of UK license, the show itself not being marketable? High asking price? Poor sales elsewhere? I only say as when the title pops up we've pestered each UK company & you'd (well..I!) think they would be jumping on it ..
I'll continue to hold out hope, along with Mushi Shi.

EDIT: I know I could import but I'm holding out for a UK version.

The perfect storm of all three probably?

It apparently didn't do well on Crunchyroll or when Sentai released it in America, presumably due to poor marketability. With some suggesting it's Japanese success may have increased the asking price.

I doubt Shirobako has much mainstream sales potential here at all, but that makes the CE model even more appealing. I only watched it on a whim and really loved it; however it was free for me to make that leap and I doubt blind buyers would be tempted quite so easily.

I also expect that its popularity on this site doesn't really reflect the situation in the wider market (sadly). Cute girls often turn a certain type of viewer off outright, yet it's not really a show about cute girls at all; it's about cute career women and that might in turn alienate some of the regular anime crowd. We're enthusiasts who find learning about anime being made fascinating, while a lot of viewers just want to see explosions and groping.

R

I doubt Shirobako has much mainstream sales potential here at all, but that makes the CE model even more appealing. I only watched it on a whim and really loved it; however it was free for me to make that leap and I doubt blind buyers would be tempted quite so easily.

I also expect that its popularity on this site doesn't really reflect the situation in the wider market (sadly). Cute girls often turn a certain type of viewer off outright, yet it's not really a show about cute girls at all; it's about cute career women and that might in turn alienate some of the regular anime crowd. We're enthusiasts who find learning about anime being made fascinating, while a lot of viewers just want to see explosions and groping.

R
We've had this discussion before, the marketing of the show screams CGDCT even those the rest of the show doesn't.

Back