UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

The Count SE being the same price as the mystery box which had the LE and 4 others BDs makes me laugh a bit. Still, I'm sure that's Amazon just pricing silly, I imagine AOL will have it a fair bit cheaper.

Pigtails & other shorts, which was taken off Amazon has now reappeared under a standard format, Due April 24th :
They killed a CE to do a combo pack standard edition? I don't even.
It's like they took entirely the wrong message from our complaining about a lack of SEs.

Including a DVD barely makes sense in a CE, including it in a combo pack just increases the price for no good reason.

Oh no that version is the tv show only, no movie. And it's out in March. Give it 12 months and a nice looking version with both in a art box will appear (or until the ultimate edition is sold out). Seems like the rule.

Not so much so actually - Full Metal Panic! Ultimate is the weird one as we never did standards (there was a long time where approval with that licensor was painfully slow and difficult so we de-prioritised it vs other projects, sorry folks). Every other Ultimate Edition has had a standard release on BD as well not long after (general rule is 3 months after for the key bits).

Secondly - all FMP is really is a repack with a nice box using amarays - it's not really what we'd define as a Collector's Edition but we thought it was something nice to do so as we had the chance via our shop, so why not :)?

So in future more like with Gurren Lagann where it'll be more like 2 years down the line (usually closer to 2 years) unless we feel like doing something nice for Christmas for folks on a product and including one in a Mystery Set as a treat for a show of our choosing. Or you know general whim when we get unique artwork later (like Gurren Lagann).

As you'll see with added FAQs and such as we go, we do recognise giving more info is useful so we're doing our best there anyway to avoid confusion :).

Hope that clarifies that one for folks!

Best,

AP

It's like they took entirely the wrong message from our complaining about a lack of SEs.

Including a DVD barely makes sense in a CE, including it in a combo pack just increases the price for no good reason.

Did we kill a CE? Or did we just move it to produce in a more limited quantity to meet actual demand via our shop and a retail partner? As you're so keen to leap to conclusions, I leave it to you to figure out....

Best,

Andrew

It's possible there wasn't any material they could acquire to make a collector's edition possible. Or it could be a similar case to The Garden of Words where the runtime was too low to consider it. Pigtails, the main feature, is 30 minutes long, as for the other shorts; Kick Heart is 12 minutes long, Wasurenagumo (Li'l Spider Girl) is 25 minutes long, Tansu Warashi is 23 minutes long, and Oval x Over is 4 minutes long.

Full Metal Panic Complete Collection... All 3 Seasons in an artbox, limited to 300 copies £49.99 from All the Anime, £39.99 early bird, out on 6th March
I think it's pretty good that you can essentially get three standard edition releases (one being 24 episodes) for £40. You'll probably eventually be able to get all three sets (less the box) a bit cheaper than that, but that's a really good price for newly released sets.

I'd certainly like to see more of this kind of thing, it's a good option for those who decided against the fancier release or weren't able to get it and it's a bit better than usual even for people who normally get the standard release anyway.

I suppose it might discourage some people from getting a fancier release if they know there'll be a good standard collection down the line, but hopefully that wouldn't have a major impact and I think it's worth having those options so that more people can get the releases they want (especially if they're also more affordable options).

The release situation for Full Metal Panic is probably somewhat unusual, so I'm not sure this really indicates any change in policy, but I hope it does well and maybe results in more options for people to choose from for future releases.

And more information was posted regarding this while I was typing. Oh well.

Did we kill a CE? Or did we just move it to produce in a more limited quantity to meet actual demand via our shop and a retail partner? As you're so keen to leap to conclusions, I leave it to you to figure out....

Best,

Andrew
Lately with AL, whether there's no information, some information to be miscontrued, or even concrete statements on your own website, it's impossible to know what's actually going to happen with your releases anymore.
It sometimes feels like you expect us all to have a neverending supply of money to buy releases at the drop of a hat.

Apologies for my lack of tact.

Lately with AL, whether there's no information, some information to be miscontrued, or even concrete statements on your own website, it's impossible to know what's actually going to happen with your releases anymore.
It sometimes feels like you expect us all to have a neverending supply of money to buy releases at the drop of a hat.

I don't think AL intend for you to buy every single release they put out nor do they intend for people to buy them all the moment they are out. Sure, their releases go OOP, but it isn't overnight, you normally have months, sometimes years. You don't have to buy them all at once, you know.

I don't think AL intend for you to buy every single release they put out nor do they intend for people to buy them all the moment they are out..
Surely they must to some degree else early bird pricing wouldn't be used to explain how every release isn't too expensive.

AL are literally impossible to budget for. You never know when a title is out until a couple weeks beforehand, and in that time they'll probably put up an early bird for another title you want. Followed by another early bird you need to find the cash for.

I couldn't afford the Persona 3 Movie 2 early bird because i had to re-buy Gurren Lagann. I won't be able to afford whatever early bird is next week because I now need to re-buy FMP to fix the issues with the UE that I only got because season 2 was exclusive to the UE.

To be fair to AL you didn't need to rebuy GE or FMP...that's purely your choice. I have both the UE's and while the artwork on the two new boxes are nice I wasn't rebuying just for box artwork.

To be fair to AL you didn't need to rebuy GE or FMP...that's purely your choice. I have both the UE's and while the artwork on the two new boxes are nice I wasn't rebuying just for box artwork.
I can't open the Gurren lagann UE without discs falling out, after two replacement digipacks. FMP lacks any sort of information on the Amarays in the UE, and removing/inserting the Amarays damages the UE.
That's twice in two months they're releasing products better than previous UEs.

Actually, I'll start looking at this positively and hope @anime_andrew finally gives TiR the CE I always wanted now.

To be fair, I'm not sure the folks at Anime Limited know exactly what's going to happen with their releases most of the time. I don't mean that in a bad way, they're just always having to deal with external factors and other companies so it's not always going to be easy to know exactly what they can expect. They'll also have to deal with restrictions on what they can say (especially where things aren't certain), so that makes it more difficult to give reliable and accurate information.

I'm not trying to suggest that every issue has nothing to do with Anime Limited, just that there are reasons that we never quite seem to get as much information as we'd like as soon as we'd like it. It's also not limited to Anime Limited, it just seems to be a natural effect of the way things work in the anime industry. It would be nice if things were better in that respect, and I expect that many companies (especially local distributors) are trying to improve things, but I don't think it's fair to be too hard on companies for not being able to deliver especially high standards of information in short order.

I don't know if that's entirely relevant to the Pigtails & Other Shorts situation, although a change on a particular retailer's website for a release that's a little way off yet doesn't seem like a major cause for panic. It's certainly worth pursuing more information on the change but it seems unfair to complain before you know the whole story and then complain that you don't know the whole story when there's plenty of time for Anime Limited to comment.

I think there's only so much Anime Limited can do to help people with budgeting. They do want people to buy their releases but that also means they need to get releases out, I expect they do plan release timings to try and ensure people are more likely to be able to buy but there's not schedule that's going to be perfect for everyone.

I suppose they could just give the releases away but that probably wouldn't be the perfect solution for the company (or particularly effective in the long run).

Back