UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

anime_andrew said:
Two-for one on answers - no plans yet because still awaiting assets to work from. I'd proposed compressing it downwards but we'll see how that goes, dealing with Pony Canyon for video is a new experience for us here...

AP
Considering Pony don't use the original encodes from the Japanese discs like Aniplex, I'm pretty sure you'd be able to take Justin's encodes and reauthor them for 2xBD50s if PC allow it.
Are you aware that there is currently a defect with Part 1 of the BD/DVD where the audio for the first two episodes is Mono though?

I appreciate the breakdown of the reason for Tatami Galaxy's price point. Again, hoping there'll be a standard edition at some point, as it's a show I'm keen to check out on the strength of community chatter. (If nobody's checked it out, go look up Demolition D+'s review of the show on Youtube. In fact, go and check him out full stop!)

I've also had a dispatch notice for my copy of Thunderbolt! To say I'm excited isn't the word.

Now that we know that the @anime DVD for Empire of Corpses doesn't include English subtitles, is there a particular reason the UK is still being subjected to those "steelcases" that the French side of Anime Limited seem so fond of, rather than a good old Scanavo Steelbook?

Jaysgba said:
Now that we know that the @anime DVD for Empire of Corpses doesn't include English subtitles, is there a particular reason the UK is still being subjected to those "steelcases" that the French side of Anime Limited seem so fond of, rather than a good old Scanavo Steelbook?

Shared production on printparts basically - Scanavo is expensive and takes a long time to do. FWIW I am listening on the futurepaks and am not going to use them on future UK releases whatever France chooses as they just don't sell really vs other packaging types.

Best,

AP

NormanicGrav said:
Hmmm... what else is there that we could get some updates on...

Perhaps these lot?
  • Blood Blockade Battlefront - Not much is said about this title for a fair while.
  • Miss Hokusai - Since I understand the delay regarding the booklet, GKIDS now have the film in the states. Will that interfere (i.e. they could offer a dub) or not?
  • The Place Promised In Our Early Days & Voices Pack - We know the disc-related stuff is done, what's the packaging for this release going to be like?

BBB: Designs off to approval now, masters are in, BBFC scheduled - it'll be a 116 page booklet with collector's packaging so it's a beefy release! Seeing if we can add more to it yet too...watch this space (am a HUGE fan of the show though, so is Keith - who is managing this one.

Miss Hokusai: In the UK at least I don't think a dub will help the film one way or another so as we've authored already the use of a dub even if it happens isn't that good for us. The booklet is STILL being back and forth'd to IG right now so I'm frustrated but we can't do much on it, we are all working our hardest to get it approved asap.

Place Promised: Debating what type of inside to use (Amaray or Digipack) but both features on one BD50 then separate DVDs for each separately and a case especially for Voices (Amaray or Digipack, looking at cost/sensibility on each right now). We've also created a pretty cool booklet to go with The Place Promised and the usual Collector's packaging.

Best,

AP

anime_andrew said:
Jaysgba said:

Shared production on printparts basically - Scanavo is expensive and takes a long time to do. FWIW I am listening on the futurepaks and am not going to use them on future UK releases whatever France chooses as they just don't sell really vs other packaging types.

Best,

AP

There's no news you could give that will excite me as much as the ditching of those futurepaks, but it'd be great for an update on what the plans for After War Gundam X are.

anime_andrew said:
NormanicGrav said:

Perhaps these lot?
  • Blood Blockade Battlefront - Not much is said about this title for a fair while.
  • Miss Hokusai - Since I understand the delay regarding the booklet, GKIDS now have the film in the states. Will that interfere (i.e. they could offer a dub) or not?
  • The Place Promised In Our Early Days & Voices Pack - We know the disc-related stuff is done, what's the packaging for this release going to be like?

BBB: Designs off to approval now, masters are in, BBFC scheduled - it'll be a 116 page booklet with collector's packaging so it's a beefy release! Seeing if we can add more to it yet too...watch this space (am a HUGE fan of the show though, so is Keith - who is managing this one.

Miss Hokusai: In the UK at least I don't think a dub will help the film one way or another so as we've authored already the use of a dub even if it happens isn't that good for us. The booklet is STILL being back and forth'd to IG right now so I'm frustrated but we can't do much on it, we are all working our hardest to get it approved asap.

Place Promised: Debating what type of inside to use (Amaray or Digipack) but both features on one BD50 then separate DVDs for each separately and a case especially for Voices (Amaray or Digipack, looking at cost/sensibility on each right now). We've also created a pretty cool booklet to go with The Place Promised and the usual Collector's packaging.

Best,

AP

I think Place Promised/Voices may as well get a nice digipack set since you have a booklet to go with it. But of course if you're still planning that Makoto Shinkai collection then feel free to use amaray. Just my thoughts.

anime_andrew said:
NormanicGrav said:

Perhaps these lot?

Nice...i love BBB and anything else you can add to it would be lovely.

Got Mobile Suit Gundam: Thunderbolt today...lovely release.

My sole gripe with stuff like Thunderbolt is I wish Sunrise would translate the extras. I mean we have four separate storyboard books, a design works book and an extras disc. It would be brilliant to be able to read that stuff in English. It perplexes me that they'll push for dubbing the show but then won't produce an international version of the printed media. I'm sure there's valid reasons but as someone whose Japanese is absolute rookie level I'd love to soak in the information present.

I guess the obvious thing is it means one identical product for the entire world - easier to produce, and primarily geared toward the Japanese market, but with the dub and subs to insure decent import numbers (which no doubt swell the total sales numbers + boost Oricon chart position, if they care about that)

Lutga said:
I guess the obvious thing is it means one identical product for the entire world - easier to produce, and primarily geared toward the Japanese market, but with the dub and subs to insure decent import numbers (which no doubt swell the total sales numbers + boost Oricon chart position, if they care about that)

In the UK non-domestic sales aren't counted. I'd assume Oricon is a similar deal. Oricon also obviously won't include sales from non-Japanese retailers, like All The Anime or RightStuf.

Buzz201 said:
In the UK non-domestic sales aren't counted. I'd assume Oricon is a similar deal.

Oricon records non-domestic sales exported by Japanese retailers but counts them separately from domestic sales. The figures for these cannot be accessed without the highest level of paid subscription which is aimed at companies using the data commercially. This costs a huge amount and as such data requiring this level of access is basically never made publicly available.

Quick question for Andrew.
Clean artbox for your next collector editions from Aniplex? (Your Lie in April, The anthem of the Heart, Erased, Persona3 and Genius Party even if GP is not from Aniplex)
Or at least an O-card, with all the BS (aka : Logo, BBFC, etc.) on-it.
I really don't like logos, BBFC etc. on artbox (especially on spine) and my purchase will depend on : clean artbox or not. (The last will probably end-up on a no-buy.)
Collectors like Baccano or Noein will be an insta-buy on the other hand.

Anime Limited have put up a new blog post giving us a look at the ultimate edition of Fullmetal Alchemist.

Let me be the first to say that I'm really excited for this now we've seen how the gate is shaping up. It looks really well made, better than I was excepting and more in-line with my hopes, and it seems as though all the blood, sweat and tears are paying off nicely!

I really like the chosen image for the artbook as well and can't wait to dive into the contents later in the year. ^^

Back