UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Glad to see Ping Pong on there, although 300 isn't a high number. If that's considered the bar, the UK industry is in a really sorry state.

Thanks Andrew :D

If Giovanni's Island was considered one of the poorer performers and it still cleared that figure it illustrates that an average of 300 wouldn't be a good thing at all.

R

anime_andrew said:
I like this kind of comparison, I think there's a lot of credit to go on doing things this way and really I do encourage it :)! You earn bonus points from me for it too!

Yus, bonus points are my favourite kind of points! If I collect enough can I trade em in for a Gunbuster OVA collection, Katanagatari or Kyousougiga license? No? Oh, well okay....

anime_andrew said:
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised and there'll be an opportunity to buy circa that price either on retail or via an All the Anime special offer there, we certainly want to make it available to as many as we can as it's a show we really, really really love here. Easily my favourite show of that season (Kabaneri steals show of the year so far for me though).

More seriously (not that I don't seriously want those titles, especially Gunbuster....) hopefully it can drop to between £30 and £35 per part as I think I'd be willing to spend that for Satorus's mum...er, I mean this wonderful show and it's compelling story. >_>

anime_andrew said:
Haha - good point there too actually! The trouble is - sometimes the best we can do is gun at a closer to UK standard price and have to sit in-between. I'm hoping given what we can access that this won't be one of those so while it'll be two sets that maybe we can balance the prices out somewhat. Watch this space, you make a compelling point though :).

That's fair, I understand that you have your hands tied at times in regards to what you can do, but as a consumer it's sometimes hard to look for why things cost what they do or take how long they take when you see similar things cheaper. I appreciate you coming on and answering people on here as I can't imagine it's a nice feeling having people react this way (not that I think anyone is being particularly mean about it, nor that they shouldn't voice their opinions on the matter).

anime_andrew said:
You don't look like that at all - you made a compelling case and it was reasoned, with actual numbers behind it which made it really fun to discuss :). I appreciate that too!

Re Gundam - definitely is, awaiting packaging files now but expect Build, Build Try and Victory as soon as we can get packaging approved to be scheduled :).

I'm glad, I always fear I'm coming across a bit too hostile or passive-aggressive when it's really not my intention, just the grumpy Scottish person in me really lol.

As for Gundam, good stuff. I've actually not seen Build or Build Try but I'll, er, try them for sure. I've said it before but you release Gumdam on BD over here, I'll buy it. I am curious though, do you plan on sticking to the same kind of design/theme for all Gundam releases? I like how it seems to be shaping up based on the spines of the two releases artwork I've seen thus far (which granted is a small sample to be making assumptions on).

Buzzkillington said:
As for Gundam, good stuff. I've actually not seen Build or Build Try but I'll, er, try them for sure. I've said it before but you release Gumdam on BD over here, I'll buy it. I am curious though, do you plan on sticking to the same kind of design/theme for all Gundam releases? I like how it seems to be shaping up based on the spines of the two releases artwork I've seen thus far (which granted is a small sample to be making assumptions on).

I'd really like to see some news regarding what's going to happen to the unfortunate titles such as After War Gundam X, in that it's DVD-only in Japan and US, over here in the UK. After War Gundam X is the title I am most interested in from the Gundam franchise, but past comments regarding Sunrise's western Gundam releases, along the lines of "All UK Gundam on BD", "licensor wants PAL for DVDs", "Sunrise won't do SD-on-BD", have me rightfully worried that the UK is going to miss out on some of the franchise.

Definitely great to see that the statistic was untrue because I like the the CE model and I'm hopeful it has a good future in the UK. It's especially nice to see Terror in Resonance and Giovanni's Island (despite the fact I know Giovanni's Island is at the lower end of the scale there) there as I'm fond of both sets myself.

Out of curiosity Andrew, how did the original Durarara!! CE sell compared to X2? Simply asking as you've listed one of them so now I'm interested in seeing a comparison :)

Jaysgba said:
I'd really like to see some news regarding what's going to happen to the unfortunate titles such as After War Gundam X, in that it's DVD-only in Japan and US, over here in the UK. After War Gundam X is the title I am most interested in from the Gundam franchise, but past comments regarding Sunrise's western Gundam releases, along the lines of "All UK Gundam on BD", "licensor wants PAL for DVDs", "Sunrise won't do SD-on-BD", have me rightfully worried that the UK is going to miss out on some of the franchise.
A fair concern. I do wonder why companies do things like this, I mean if Gundam is selling well for a UK release (and to be fair I have no idea if it is, I really hope so though) then why wouldn't you want to release more of it, DVD or otherwise? I guess that's why I work for a fabrication company and not running an anime business.....

Lavigne said:
Re all Gundam on BD I the UK - would be interesting to understand how this affects Turn A.

Wasn't Turn A indefinitely delayed while they tried to argue in favor of BD? I know when it was announced a lot of people said they really wanted BD for this one (myself included), and I vaguely remember them mentioning on a podcast that they would be delaying it significantly while trying to work something out.

Although I guess your question could be more, what if Sunrise refuse, will it still get a release at all if Gundam is to be BD or nothing.... (I'm not sure if BD only for Gundam is actually the case). Regardless, Turn A is one I really want on BD.

Buzzkillington said:
Wasn't Turn A indefinitely delayed while they tried to argue in favor of BD? I know when it was announced a lot of people said they really wanted BD for this one (myself included), and I vaguely remember them mentioning on a podcast that they would be delaying it significantly while trying to work something out.

Although I guess your question could be more, what if Sunrise refuse, will it still get a release at all if Gundam is to be BD or nothing.... (I'm not sure if BD only for Gundam is actually the case). Regardless, Turn A is one I really want on BD.

Yes, this was it - AL originally had it for DVD-only, and now it's delayed indefinitely. What's the endgame for Turn A in the UK in the event of a BD release not being possible?

Also don't quite get why the licensor would be insisting on PAL-only DVDS. Is this about reverse-importation as we're in the same DVD region as Japan? Silly if so, how long has Turn A been available in Japan now? Nearly two years, and in a better format....

Lavigne said:
Buzzkillington said:

Yes, this was it - AL originally had it for DVD-only, and now it's delayed indefinitely. What's the endgame for Turn A in the UK in the event of a BD release not being possible?

Also don't quite get why the licensor would be insisting on PAL-only DVDS. Is this about reverse-importation as we're in the same DVD region as Japan? Silly if so, how long has Turn A been available in Japan now? Nearly two years, and in a better format....

If a BD isn't possible for Turn A Gundam, I do hope they can at least get Sunrise to allow an NTSC DVD for those that are willing to settle. I'll probably just write off Turn A Gundam as one not worth owning if it's DVD-only though, as it's sourced from film and has a blu-ray in Japan.

qaiz said:
Glad to see Ping Pong on there, although 300 isn't a high number. If that's considered the bar, the UK industry is in a really sorry state.

It's not especially in my opinion - I consider 1,000 the bar to be honest actually. Usually over the space of a 1 year life of the show. Not actually sure where the 300 units comes from unless someone's measuring through traditional domestic channels only actually.

AP

anime_andrew said:
qaiz said:

It's not especially in my opinion - I consider 1,000 the bar to be honest actually. Usually over the space of a 1 year life of the show. Not actually sure where the 300 units comes from unless someone's measuring through traditional domestic channels only actually.

AP

According to Jerome's Twitter, it comes from a database of sell-through numbers. Which, I don't know but I would assume, only considers traditional channels.

Deluxe editions simply don't sell. I know. I can see everyone's sell-thru numbers. Loads of expense and hassle for no return.

Can I read slightly into the "traditional domestic channels" part of your comments and ask whether international purchases make a significant contribution to your CE sales?

Even though those who know me know I'd buy a half eaten sausage roll if an official licensor put a Gundam sticker on it, I'd hope not getting Blu-rays wouldn't mean a given Gundam title is off the table for the UK. I can understand why a Blu-ray would be preference and why stuff like the MSG movies aren't going to get a fresh release here but I think a lot of series would be missed out. It'd be a release strategy that basically only targets the existing fans, not tries to create new ones. AL have been doing a great job of expanding Gundam's presence so I'd love to see them continue in that direction and make pretty much everything available. Like I said when I reviewed MSG volume 1, I think it really does have something to offer new fans even today.

Buzz201 said:
anime_andrew said:
qaiz said:

AP

According to Jerome's Twitter, it comes from a database of sell-through numbers. Which, I don't know but I would assume, only considers traditional channels.

Deluxe editions simply don't sell. I know. I can see everyone's sell-thru numbers. Loads of expense and hassle for no return.

Can I read slightly into the "traditional domestic channels" part of your comments and ask whether international purchases make a significant contribution to your CE sales?

Ah okay, it'll be the home video charts - which only captures:

A) Domestic sales
B) Major retailers

So what isn't included are:

A) All the Anime.com sales (we have a healthy sales channel there actually and appreciate the direct relationship with folks)
B) Event sales
C) Smaller retailers (people like Anime-on-Line etc don't show up)

So when you add it all together there's a good chunk of sales that don't show up.

Re international: Not sure - I'd have to cross-ref my sales with actual reported stats but it's true international sales don't go to the BVA actually so they'd be obscured from Jerome's eyes too so given his viewpoint there, I'd assume there's a good deal of sales just that way that are missing too.

Best,

AP

anime_andrew said:
Ah okay, it'll be the home video charts - which only captures:

A) Domestic sales
B) Major retailers

So what isn't included are:

A) All the Anime.com sales (we have a healthy sales channel there actually and appreciate the direct relationship with folks)
B) Event sales
C) Smaller retailers (people like Anime-on-Line etc don't show up)

So when you add it all together there's a good chunk of sales that don't show up.

Re international: Not sure - I'd have to cross-ref my sales with actual reported stats but it's true international sales don't go to the BVA actually so they'd be obscured from Jerome's eyes too so given his viewpoint there, I'd assume there's a good deal of sales just that way that are missing too.

Best,

AP

I gathered it probably wouldn't cover things like that. Thanks for the information. :)

Gemsy-chan said:
I'll ask again but Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt...when?

Sorry if I sound like a broken record but I want my greedy little mitts on it.

Same here, it's been a month since the official release date, I know it takes a while from release date to get to us here in the UK with these import releases but this is kinda ridiculous right now lol

The Anime Limited Q4 Schedule (UPDATED WITH SRP!)

Key: SRP = Suggested Retail Price, MVMP = MVM's Anime-on-Line Price

• The Anthem of the Heart
    October 31st 2016
    • Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack] - SRP £34.99 - MVMP £24.49
    • Standard Edition [DVD] - SRP £19.99 - MVMP £13.99
  • Belladonna of Sadness
    November 28th 2016
    • Collector's Edition [Blu-ray] - SRP £34.99 - MVMP £24.49
  • Erased
    December 5th 2016
    • Part 1 (Episodes 1-6) Collector's Edition [Blu-ray] - SRP £59.99 - MVMP £41.99 *UPDATE: SRP may be lowered depending on the outcome of the CE*
    • Part 1 (Episodes 1-6) Standard Edition [DVD] - SRP £24.99 - MVMP £17.49
  • Fullmetal Alchemist
    November 21st 2016
    • Part 1 (Episodes 1-27) Collector's Edition [Blu-ray] - SRP £69.99 - MVMP £48.99
    • Part 1 (Episodes 1-27) Standard Edition [DVD] - SRP £39.99 - MVMP £27.99
    December 5th 2016
    • Part 2 (Episodes 28-51) Collector's Edition [Blu-ray] - SRP £69.99 - MVMP £48.99
    • Part 2 (Episodes 28-51) Standard Edition [DVD] - SRP £39.99 - MVMP £27.99
  • Genius Party & Genius Party Beyond
    December 12th 2016
    • Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack] - SRP £39.99 - MVMP £27.99
  • Lupin the Third (2015)
    November 14th 2016 *Likely to end up in 2017 if the dub is confirmed by licensor*
    • Part 1 (Episodes 1-12) Collector's Edition [Blu-ray] - SRP £59.99 - MVMP £41.99
  • The Murder Case of Hana & Alice
    October 10th 2016
  • Ouran High School Host Club
    November 7th 2016
    • Complete Series Collector's Edition [Blu-ray] - SRP £59.99 - MVMP £41.99
  • Persona 3 the Movie #1: Spring of Death
    November 7th 2016
  • Persona 3 the Movie #2: Midsummer Knight's Dream
    November 28th 2016
  • Pigtails and Other Shorts (aka the Production I.G. Short film collection)
    December 5th 2016
    • Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack] - SRP £39.99 - MVMP £27.99
  • Project Itoh: Harmony
    October 24th 2016
    • Collector's Edition Steelcase [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack] - SRP £34.99 - MVMP £24.49
  • The Tatami Galaxy
    November 28th 2016
    • Complete Series Collector's Edition [Blu-ray] - SRP £69.99 - MVMP £48.99
  • Tokyo Marble Chocolate
    November 28th 2016
  • Your Lie in April
    October 31st 2016
    • Part 2 (Episodes 12-22) Collector's Edition [Blu-ray] - SRP £59.99 - MVMP £41.99
    • Part 2 (Episodes 12-22) Standard Edition [DVD] - SRP £29.99 - MVMP £20.99

Back