UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Now I'm done for the day and in a better place to think I can say they were thinking of announcing akira tomorrow because this 4k release will also have a new cinema release.

The Streamline dub track on the Funimation release has quality issues. Right before some of the reel changes, they briefly switch over to a mono source that I assume runs slightly longer, which lets them patch the gap between the reels. However, the gaps can be easily patched with other higher quality elements like the Japanese 2.0 Dolby Surround track. Neo Tokyo destruction iirc uses the mono source to deal with a sync issue immediately after; there are ways to deal with that without resorting to the mono source.

Speaking of the Japanese 2.0 Dolby Surround track, it's nerfed on the BD and UHD. The LaserDisc has better bass and they should use a PCM capture of that for their release.

How many times are they gonna release Akira? How many different releases can you give to one same movie?

And why did AL falsely claimed that they have not licensed Kakegurui Season 2? AL confirmed 3 years ago that they have licensed it. In 2021 AL said "You don't have anything to worry about in that regard in Kakegurui's case 😉" when people voiced their worries of AL not releasing the second season since AL has a bad record of not releasing second seasons (March Comes in like a Lion, Sound! Euphonium, Amanchu). Did they lose the license for it or something?

How many times are they gonna release Akira? How many different releases can you give to one same movie?

And why did AL falsely claimed that they have not licensed Kakegurui Season 2? AL confirmed 3 years ago that they have licensed it. In 2021 AL said "You don't have anything to worry about in that regard in Kakegurui's case 😉" when people voiced their worries of AL not releasing the second season since AL has a bad record of not releasing second seasons (March Comes in like a Lion, Sound! Euphonium, Amanchu). Did they lose the license for it or something?

Much like with the Godzilla Minus One standard edition, Anime Limited probably lied (or over-promised if we're being kind in Kakegurui's case) to their customers about Kakegurui season two.

"You don't have anything to worry about in that regard in Kakegurui's case 😉" - we really need to get this printed on a t-shirt or something.

Last edited:
Much like with the Godzilla Minus One standard edition, Anime Limited probably lied (or over-promised if we're being kind in Kakegurui's case) to their customers about Kakegurui season two.

"You don't have anything to worry about in that regard in Kakegurui's case 😉" - we really need to get this printed on a t-shirt or something.
On the back of the shirt it can have "Nothing to report right now, but we're working on it" 😂

So there’s a bunch of stuff on offer both at MCM and on the website, but I can’t see any mention of the ‘special offers at conventions’ for anime unlimited members.
Should I have an extra discount code or something? Is there some free extra with purchase if buying on location or something?

So there’s a bunch of stuff on offer both at MCM and on the website, but I can’t see any mention of the ‘special offers at conventions’ for anime unlimited members.
Should I have an extra discount code or something? Is there some free extra with purchase if buying on location or something?
Perhaps I should clarify that; yes, the standard 10% works on the sale items (Bleach is £40.49), but that’s the usual discount we’ve paid for.
And the sale items are available to all, so not an (un)limited perk either.

And related; I’ve never seen Bleach.
Convince me to order (or suggest I wait for the Xmas and BOGOF).
And TYBW is a multi-part release too? How many parts? As the (collectors’) box doesn’t look like it’ll hold many. Unless it doesn’t, and each “part” is a separate box…

I've said it before but it does often feel AL suffer the same problem that plagued ADV- wanting to release more titles than they have the manpower or time to do so. The unfortunate result being they'll promise stuff in good spirits only for the licence to lapse because they're simply not in a position to deliver it as intended.

I'm not putting this all on them. They did some interviews a few years back that we were all required to get the Japanese studio's final sign off on and said studio took 4 months to do so. So sometimes yes, they are facing the uphill battle of personal intent vs licensor indifference.

Wow, I'm really excited for the blood+ release! The dvds have evaded me for years and years now. Happy happy!
Keep your hands off Eizouken also has my interest as I keep hearing amazing things about it and Masaaki Yuasa made some of my favorite anime. Then there is Karakuri circus. I don't know much about it or if it is well regarded, but I just read the book 'The characters thought me everything' from Megumi Hayashibara. She is one of my favorite voice actresses and plays a roll in Karakuri, so that makes me curious.

Edit: Eminence in the shadow also seems like fun:).

Thanks for keeping us posted, bakura! Curious what else will be revealed!

I want I'm Standing On A Million Lives which it feels like I've been waiting forever for. It's been so long since Sentai got that from Crunchryoll I had given up on them ever releasing it on disc, so I am very happy to see AL with it. I hope they do both seasons though as it looks like this announcement is only for the first one.

Nice. I can finally remove a decent HD version of Blood: TLV from my "probably never ever" wishlist. Not sure about the TV series, but of the remaining announcements that's probably the most interesting.

As I'm not clear on where AL stands with Gundam any more, I'll refrain from any snarky comments about 0080 and 08th MS Team 😇

I admire your strength of character! ;)

I've said it before but it does often feel AL suffer the same problem that plagued ADV- wanting to release more titles than they have the manpower or time to do so. The unfortunate result being they'll promise stuff in good spirits only for the licence to lapse because they're simply not in a position to deliver it as intended.
Very much this. There can be a huge gap between what people in a company want/intend to do, and what they end up having the capacity for. That's why we should always be wary of answers that come from bombarding them with random lists of titles we want instead of waiting for official announcements.

The other factor is the Embracer buyout. Anything AL staff said they wanted to do before then should have a line struck through it, since we don't know how much autonomy they have anymore. The most obvious sign of a pivot in creative direction is the licence of Naruto and Bleach. AL traditionally haven't touched Shonen Jump shows, but now they've committed to release two 300-episode series within a year of the buyout.

Gundam was brought up, there are more niche titles in the pipeline, the guy asking the question listed off a number of titles including the ones you listed here and Andrew responded "some of those you mentioned are in the pipeline". So more are coming.
Nice. I can finally remove a decent HD version of Blood: TLV from my "probably never ever" wishlist. Not sure about the TV series, but of the remaining announcements that's probably the most interesting.

As I'm not clear on where AL stands with Gundam any more, I'll refrain from any snarky comments about 0080 and 08th MS Team

Very much this. There can be a huge gap between what people in a company want/intend to do, and what they end up having the capacity for. That's why we should always be wary of answers that come from bombarding them with random lists of titles we want instead of waiting for official announcements.

The other factor is the Embracer buyout. Anything AL staff said they wanted to do before then should have a line struck through it, since we don't know how much autonomy they have anymore. The most obvious sign of a pivot in creative direction is the licence of Naruto and Bleach. AL traditionally haven't touched Shonen Jump shows, but now they've committed to release two 300-episode series within a year of the buyout.

Sounds like they could be going the way of Arrow Films (who were also bought out). Starting out as a distributor of niche, horror films, and then pivoting and branching out their catalogue to other genres. Presently, they seem to do a bit of everything now.

I'm guessing Anime Limited started out with the same intention; likely wanting to curate their catalogue to a certain type of niche anime, and with boutique/collector style releases. However, perhaps the people who bought them out want to expand and grow the business. I would imagine there's only so much of a market for niche anime, especially in a collector's release that comes with premium pricing, and especially within the UK market.

Perhaps their idea is to put out more mainstream stuff (like Naruto and Bleach) that is likely to sell better, to then fund their more niche titles (or passion projects) that they are more traditionally associated with.

I've been keeping track on what's licensed and what not for UK anime for the past decade or so. Anime Limited in recent years have managed to get through some titles here and there but there's still a chunky list to go through.

I do expect most of what was announced yesterday to be part of the Early Bird slate this coming Christmas sale. List below doesn't include titles on pre-orders like Lonely Castle in the Mirror or continuous shows like InuYasha.

Films:
Anime:Licensed:Status:
Akira
2024​
Previously licensed by Manga Entertainment
- Released on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray & DVD in UK
Blood: The Last Vampire
2024​
~ Released on Blu-ray & DVD in UK
~ Also planned for release in France by AllTheAnime
BLUE GIANT
2023​
Received Theatrical release
- Already out in USA on Blu-ray by GKIDS
Cardcaptor Sakura the Movie 2: The Sealed Card
2018​
UK debut
- Already out in USA on Blu-ray by Discotek
City Hunter: Angel Dust
2023​
UK debut
- No Home Video Release Yet in the west
The Colors Within
2024​
UK debut
The Concierge
2024​
UK debut
EUREKA: Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution
2017​
UK debut
~ Already out in USA on Blu-ray by Crunchyroll
~ AL delayed CE pre-orders due to various factors
The First Slam Dunk
2023​
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
2024​
- Released on Blu-ray & DVD in UK
Komada: A Whisky Family
2024​
UK debut
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED FREEDOM
2024​
Spy x Family Code: White
2024​
- Already out for UK/USA streaming by Crunchyroll
Summer Wars
2024​
TEKKONKINKREET
2024​
Previously licensed by Sony Pictures
The Tunnel to Summer, the Exit of Goodbye
2023​
- Already out in USA on Blu-ray by Sentai
Wolf Children
2024​

OVAs:
Gunbuster 2: Diebuster
2024​
Previously licensed by Beez Entertainment
~ Released on DVD in UK
~ DVD version released in USA by Discotek
Macross Zero
2024​
UK home video debut
~ Scheduled for February 2025 by Anime Limited UK/USA
Project A-Ko
2024​
Previously licensed by ILC Limited
~ Released on DVD in UK
~ Already out in USA on Blu-ray by Discotek

TV:
Blood+
2024​
UK home video debut
~ DVD version released in USA by Sony
Comet Lucifer
2015​
UK home video debut
~ Already out in USA on Blu-ray by Sentai
~ Due to length of time, expect license to have expired
DAN DA DAN
2024​
UK home video debut
~ Currently simulcasting on Crunchyroll & Netflix
~ Not officially announced, but chances for HV are extremely high.
~ They have theatrically released Episodes 1-3
Devilman Crybaby
2024​
UK home video debut
~ Netflix exclusive series, English dub for HV TBD
The Eminence in Shadow Season 1
2024​
UK home video debut
Gakuen Basara: Samurai High School!
2018​
UK home video debut
High School Fleet
2016​
UK home video debut
~ Currently simulcasting on Crunchyroll
~ Aniplex of America never released it on HV
I'm Quitting Heroing
2024​
UK home video debut
I'm Standing on a Million Lives
2024​
UK home video debut
~ Not yet released on home video by Sentai
~ Part of the Crunchyroll package deal provided to Sentai
Karakuri Circus
2024​
UK home video debut
Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!
2024​
UK home video debut
Love Live! Superstar!! Season 2
2022​
UK home video debut
~ Not yet released on home video by Crunchyroll
Mr. Love: Queen’s Choice
2024​
UK home video debut
~ Scheduled for December 2024 by Anime Limited USA
~ Part of the Crunchyroll package
Naruto Shippuden
2023​
- Released on DVD in UK
Pet
2024​
UK home video debut
We Rent Tsukumogami
2019​
UK home video debut
~ Not yet licensed for home video in USA

Looking at the list, they could breeze through them without too much issue but my problem is that the gap between the US and UK has been widening more and more especially when it comes to Sentai's catalogue. I get that Anime Limited have a lot on their buffet, but it would be better if they announce it in advance rather than leave it to the last second.

Last edited:
I've been keeping track on what's licensed and what not for UK anime for the past decade or so. Anime Limited in recent years have managed to get through some titles here and there but there's still a chunky list to go through.

I do expect most of what was announced yesterday to be part of the Early Bird slate this coming Christmas sale. List below doesn't include titles on pre-orders like Lonely Castle in the Mirror or continuous shows like InuYasha.

Films:
Akira
2024​
- Released on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray & DVD in UK
Blood: The Last Vampire
2024​
BLUE GIANT
2023​
Cardcaptor Sakura the Movie 2: The Sealed Card
2018​
UK debut
- Already out in USA on Blu-ray by Discotek
City Hunter: Angel Dust
2023​
UK debut
The Colors Within
2024​
UK debut
The Concierge
2024​
UK debut
EUREKA: Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution
2017​
UK debut
~ Already out in USA on Blu-ray by Crunchyroll
~ AL delayed CE pre-orders due to various factors
The First Slam Dunk
2023​
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
2024​
Komada: A Whisky Family
2024​
UK debut
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED FREEDOM
2024​
Spy x Family Code: White
2024​
- Already out for UK/USA streaming by Crunchyroll
Summer Wars
2024​
TEKKONKINKREET
2024​
Previously licensed by Sony Pictures
The Tunnel to Summer, the Exit of Goodbye
2023​
- Already out in USA on Blu-ray by Sentai
Wolf Children
2024​

OVAs:
Gunbuster 2: Diebuster
2024​
UK home video debut
- DVD version released in USA by Discotek
Macross Zero
2024​
UK home video debut
~ Scheduled for February 2025 by Anime Limited UK/USA
Project A-Ko
2024​
Previously licensed by ILC Limited
~ Released on DVD in UK
~ Already out in USA on Blu-ray by Discotek

TV:
Blood+
2024​
UK home video debut
~ DVD version released in USA by Sony
Comet Lucifer
2015​
UK home video debut
DAN DA DAN
2024​
UK home video debut
~ Currently simulcasting on Crunchyroll & Netflix
~ Not officially announced, but chances for HV are extremely high.
~ They have theatrically released Episodes 1-3
Devilman Crybaby
2024​
UK home video debut
~ Netflix exclusive series, English dub for HV TBD
The Eminence in Shadow Season 1
2024​
UK home video debut
Gakuen Basara: Samurai High School!
2018​
UK home video debut
High School Fleet
2016​
UK home video debut
~ Currently simulcasting on Crunchyroll
~ Aniplex of America never released it on HV
I'm Quitting Heroing
2024​
UK home video debut
I'm Standing on a Million Lives
2024​
UK home video debut
~ Not yet released on home video by Sentai
Karakuri Circus
2024​
UK home video debut
Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!
2024​
UK home video debut
Love Live! Superstar!! Season 2
2022​
UK home video debut
~ Not yet released on home video by Crunchyroll
Mr. Love: Queen’s Choice
2024​
UK home video debut
~ Scheduled for December 2024 by Anime Limited USA
~ Part of the Crunchyroll package
Naruto Shippuden
2023​
- Released on DVD in UK
Pet
2024​
UK home video debut
We Rent Tsukumogami
2019​
UK home video debut
~ Not yet licensed for home video in USA

Looking at the list, they could breeze through them without too much issue but my problem is that the gap between the US and UK has been widening more and more especially when it comes to Sentai's catalogue. I get that Anime Limited have a lot on their buffet, but it would be better if they announce it in advance rather than leave it to the last second.

Pretty sure Diebuster was released here in the UK on DVD at one point (Beez maybe?) Thankyou for the list though, v helpful to keep track :)

Back