UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I feel with this that even the selling point of the Amano art on the box is almost deceptive, as the designs are much more simple when adapted to the anime, by one of the JoJo anime character designers. I'm sure they'll get another shot at that soon enough.

1 step closer to Ex-Arm getting a local blu-ray release

At least Ex-Arm has enough name recognition that some people will buy it because it's terrible. Gibiate, on the other hand, will probably sell so badly that it'll be less than half of its EB price in every sale from next year until the license expires.

At least Ex-Arm has enough name recognition that some people will buy it because it's terrible. Gibiate, on the other hand, will probably sell so badly that it'll be less than half of its EB price in every sale from next year until the license expires.
They're still trying to get rid of copies of the 009 Re: Cyborg 9 LE 9 years after release.

Despite the lovely art work, that can't even save me from wanting to get it, I remember hearing a lot of negativity about it when it originally aired... though I haven't seen it myself so I shouldn't fully judge but regardless, there's been enough that it's probably warranted.

Hey now, I actually liked 009, lol - I even own a copy of the JP 3D release I can watch in my 3D-capable projection theater at home. 😎
Same, even used the 3D disc on my old 600hz 3D Plasma.

A bit of a hard sell in the UK though being a movie based on a franchise that has never seen a prior UK release. Surprisingly the mid 2000s version was broadcast on Irish childrens tv.

Hey now, I actually liked 009, lol - I even own a copy of the JP 3D release I can watch in my 3D-capable projection theater at home. 😎

A bit of a hard sell in the UK though being a movie based on a franchise that has never seen a prior UK release. Surprisingly the mid 2000s version was broadcast on Irish childrens tv.

Didn't mind the movie myself either, nothing crazy but an alright time.

Was my first exposure to the series, since then I've only watched the Devilman crossover which was fun though I've wanted to pick up Discotek's release of one of the series.

Pretty sure Netflix had another entry in the series which was a sequel or prequel to Re:Cyborg? not sure if it's still on there though as I'm pretty sure the Devilman crossover isn't on there anymore.

I don't have Netflix currently so can't check.

The EB for this week is Gibiate. I don't know what they're thinking with this one as it's considered to be one of the worst shows of recent years and doesn't have a home video release in the US. The only good thing about it is the Amano artwork. This is the second worst rated full length anime series on MAL, eclipsed only by EX-ARM.
It's probably part of a package that a licensor forced on them when they bidded for a more popular show, and now they're stuck trying to recoup their losses. It's hardly a good look for their image as a boutique label though.

Meanwhile Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu and Dance Dance Danseur remain unreleased in the west. There is no justice.

There was another Re: Cyborg movie (I don't think it was a series?) that I saw later on where the Cyborg group was hiding out on a ranch somewhere, and were being attacked by the bad guys, I remember it vaguely because it's been so long since I saw it. IIRC I think it was a better story than 009. Is that perhaps the mid 2000's version you are referring to?

There was another Re: Cyborg movie (I don't think it was a series?) that I saw later on where the Cyborg group was hiding out on a ranch somewhere, and were being attacked by the bad guys, I remember it vaguely because it's been so long since I saw it. IIRC I think it was a better story than 009. Is that perhaps the mid 2000's version you are referring to?
It was a series, it was broadcast in Japan in 2001 and was shown on Toonami in the US. It's one of the early 2000s series locked in Sony hell like Blood+.

From Wiki
A third television series, entitled Cyborg 009: The Cyborg Soldier was broadcast on TV Tokyo from October 14, 2001 to October 13, 2002 on Sundays at 18:30. It spanned a total of fifty-one episodes.

The opening theme song for the third anime television series was "What's the Justice?" by Globe. The first ending theme was "Genesis of Next" by Globe followed by "Starting from Here" by Globe and later was replaced with "I Do" by Fayray.

The 2001–2002 series of Cyborg 009: The Cyborg Soldier was dubbed by Animaze, Inc. and ZRO Limit Productions, and was shortened to its manga name. The English-dubbed version of Cyborg 009 aired on Cartoon Network as part of its weekday after-school action anime/animation programming block, Toonami in 2003 with the first 26 episodes, and was on its unnamed late Friday night/Early Saturday morning “Graveyard Shift” line-up in 2004 to air episodes 27 to 42, before it was dropped from their lineup. The edited version of the series was also distributed by Sony Pictures Family Entertainment Group, while the uncut version is distributed by Sony Pictures Television.

Devil Survivor 2 CE is also now available to buy

A series that has been available on Blu-ray for the past several years in the UK via MVM, & they are asking £40 for a CE. No way this is going to sell well. I will wait & pick it up in a sale, once it drops below £20.

Just checked the product page & the release date is 22/7/24. Never seen a product go up for EB after the release date before. 🤣

Back