Anime DVD UK quality vs US quality

So has Manga done this with their other shows such as HSoTD, Bamboo Blade to Vampire Knight?
Since I was thinking off getting these titles,(since they are a nice tidy sum) but this thread has put me off.

Otaku-san said:
So has Manga done this with their other shows such as HSoTD, Bamboo Blade to Vampire Knight?
Since I was thinking off getting these titles,(since they are a nice tidy sum) but this thread has put me off.

Vampire Knight should be fine as we did the work on that up to mastering - in fact I'm bemused why the IFO on Bund has anything to do with VK 01 on it either so I'm inclined to believe it's something rather erroneous.

No idea on the other two I am afraid.

Andrew

With Vampire Knight (and Guilty) it should also be noted that the US sets are on flipper discs, which are evil. The UK sets contain proper single discs.

R

kaze_andrew said:
Otaku-san said:

Vampire Knight should be fine as we did the work on that up to mastering -

So there wasn't anything altered on there as opposed to the resolution and audio bitrate? just the usually refresh rate naturally.

I ask only out off interest

kaze_andrew said:
Vampire Knight should be fine as we did the work on that up to mastering - in fact I'm bemused why the IFO on Bund has anything to do with VK 01 on it either so I'm inclined to believe it's something rather erroneous.
Madman licensed VK in Australia so it's an error on their end.

Just Passing Through said:
It's the big stuff on the programme itself, like downmixing 5.1 audio tracks to 2.0 Stereo when they don't have to. Sentai's Xam'd DVDs have 5.1 audio in both English and Japanese. Madman's discs have 2.0 Japanese audio.

There's another forthcoming title that I can't recall offhand, but its US release has 5.1 English audio, and the Aussie release has downmixed that to Stereo. When the US studios specifically create 5.1 dubs for their anime releases, what's the point of downmixing those to stereo?
They aren't necessarily downmixing, just using different assets - Japanese 5.1 mixes are rare, most of them are upmixed in the US.

Rui said:
Otherwise, OP, it may be worth you sending your findings to Madman as well, leaving Manga out of the quality complaint process entirely.
Didn't they react badly when people merely queried about the Haruhi mono audio issue?

Shiroi Hane said:
Rui said:
Otherwise, OP, it may be worth you sending your findings to Madman as well, leaving Manga out of the quality complaint process entirely.
Didn't they react badly when people merely queried about the Haruhi mono audio issue?

If everyone complains about everything they'll have to improve eventually (positive thinking!). They do seem pretty grumpy.

R

Does cutting the quality of the actual discs content count as cost saving?

A few hours authoring and encoding can't be that crippling a cost, it feels like their guys are more lazy than anything.

A well encoded DVD still looks very good, though, many BD/DVD and HDTVs have sophisticated upscaling.

...Honestly it feels like we'd be better off if funi took over manga (double benefit, since we'd get access to funi's streaming service) and made all their releases duel region.

But if you want to get paranoid, R2 releases might intentionally be crappy to decrease the incentive of japanese importing european R2 discs.

Sorry, lots of random thoughts.

Aegelward said:
But if you want to get paranoid, R2 releases might intentionally be crappy to decrease the incentive of japanese importing european R2 discs.

If that was the case then Region A blu-rays would have the same problem since blu-rays have different region codes compared to dvds,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region

DVDs Region 2 = Japan/Europe, Region 1 = USA
Blu-rays Region B = Europe, Region A = USA/Japan

mangaman74 said:
Aegelward said:

If that was the case then Region A blu-rays would have the same problem since blu-rays have different region codes compared to dvds,

Bandai's K-ON! releases are a case in point. Stripped of Japanese extras and with low bitrate lossy DD 2.0 audio to avoid aggrieving the Japanese licensors...

Yeah... Manga K-ON! Blu-rays are so gonna sell out! :?

mangaman74 said:
Aegelward said:

Bandai's K-ON! releases are a case in point. Stripped of Japanese extras and with low bitrate lossy DD 2.0 audio to avoid aggrieving the Japanese licensors...

Yeah... Manga K-ON! Blu-rays are so gonna sell out! :?

Bandai seem to have a history - if my memory is correct the Kurokami bds are English dub only (that the Japanese bds didn't sell well might be reason for the lack of the Japanese language track with subtitles).

Aegelward said:
...Honestly it feels like we'd be better off if funi took over manga (double benefit, since we'd get access to funi's streaming service) and made all their releases duel region.
I know you meant to say "if they were both taken over by some company that doesn't utterly suck", because Funi taking more direct control of Manga would be no improvement imo.

The main reason (as far as I can see) that we don't already have access to FUNi's streaming site (considering they stream everything on YouTube where they have UK rights) is that the cost of doing so is more than the advertising revenue and that wouldn't change.

Little side note for people who plan to buy the Funimation release of Rosario to Vampire S01 from America:

On the box and back cover they say for extras: "Textless opening songs and Trailers"

Normally you would think creditless opening and ending, however they actually only put the textless closing song (+Trailers) on the disk (2nd disk), so no opening song.

Not a big deal, just sayin'.

ps: This is with the LE, but I assume the regular edition is the same.

Tind said:
Little side note for people who plan to buy the Funimation release of Rosario to Vampire S01 from America:

On the box and back cover they say for extras: "Textless opening songs and Trailers"

Normally you would think creditless opening and ending, however they actually only put the textless closing song (+Trailers) on the disk (2nd disk), so no opening song.

ps: This is with the LE, but I assume he regular edition is the same.

No big deal for me as I don't usually watch textless credits anyway. Also I won't be paying for my limited edition as I ordered it with Axel points.

mangaman74 said:
Tind said:

ps: This is with the LE, but I assume he regular edition is the same.

No big deal for me as I don't usually watch textless credits anyway. Also I won't be paying for my limited edition as I ordered it with Axel points.

Not a big deal for me either, since I dont like the opening song, but the closing song is awesome so it would be a problem if it was the other way around.

The second season's opening and closing song are both good, anyone who purchased Capu 2, could you please confirm if that's missing the opening song too?

(Funy is blocking my country from it's forums, so I can't ask there directly...)

Not DVD, but Blu-ray...

UK... First Squad (Japanese Russian co-production) released by Sony, with Russian and other dub audio, not Japanese!

US: First Squad released by Manga US, two versions, shorter version has Japanese audio!

Appleseed Ex Machina DVD didn't have a japanese dub either (but it had German...), only the Blu ray.

Not DVD, but Blu-ray...

UK... First Squad (Japanese Russian co-production) released by Sony, with Russian and other dub audio, not Japanese!

US: First Squad released by Manga US, two versions, shorter version has Japanese audio!
To some extent I can support the UK release here, since the original language of the film is Russian, not Japanese.

Back