Anime DVD UK quality vs US quality

Just went on their page, just scrolling down....fuuuudge that's a lot of responses.

And wow, they're pleased with 700 sales out of 1,000 copies shipped? That's erm...a real indicator of the industry.

ayase said:
Shiroi Hane said:
PS, here's a comparison I once did of the Japanese, US and UK DVDs for Haruhi:
http://anime.thenexxus.org/haruhi/stuff/comparisons/
Now this is more concerning; the UK disc has a different (wrong) aspect ratio? And while the UK screenshot is obviously in the middle of a frame transition, every single one of those shots on the left looks awful.
The first 2 are 720x480, while the UK one is 720x576.

So, yeah, they are different ratios, unless you watch them, and it will change it to the right one, since it's anamorphic.

Just Passing Through said:
Here's a question about the US discs...

Do you get the weird cross-colouration in certain, not all scenes?

Here's a link to an example image...

http://www.myreviewer.com/Image_uploaded_by_Jitendar_Canth_DVD_JPEG/a145289

See where the highlighted girl is, where darker shades contrast with lighter ones, her uniform and blouse, or her hair against her skin, there's this weird blue bloom...

Is that the same on the US DVD disc, or dare I even ask, the Blu-ray?
Think that may be intentional.
Vampire Bund has all sorts of crazy filtering going on. The TV version was full of similar things.

Whoa, once again they hammer home their stance that they believe cheap discs excuse everything. I appreciate that it's (most likely) 100% Madman's fault for being sloppy, but the reaction here is just painful to watch ;_;

R

ayase said:
every single one of those shots on the left looks awful.
I purposefully picked the most difficult scene from the OP to see just how badly if was handled. The shot on the right was a control sample of a scene that compresses a lot better. Kyoani OPs pretty much always have at least one scene that pushes way beyond the limit of DVD bitrate.

Anyway, to the opening post!
I can't help but be amused that it is the UK disc that went with the loli buttcheek ^^;

And PS: discovered that I did a comparison of the Kiddy Grade menus. Note that the UK/Madman menus are animated where the US ones were not.

The English tracks have been upmixed to 5.1 anyway since the Japanese tracks are stereo.

Your audio clips sound like there's a phase problem. I have no idea what you have to do wrong to end up like that, but it happened to an episode of Gosick on Crunchroll's simulcast.

On all Madman discs the DVD credits are shown after the last episode on the disc; there is no other way to access it.

lol, you are right, even tho it doesn't have a menu button to access it, the DVD credits come up after the last episode finishes....what a stupid solution...oh well, -1 thing to rant about :)

I like how MangaUK replied on Twitter. It is always a load of useless crap when a company lays down the "diplomatic" solution. This way, you know that it has been taken to heart and no doubt will be remembered by them in the future.

Where did you post this other than here, to raise Manga's ire? Or were they linked to here?

animefreak17 said:
@Tind

what series did they screw us over on
As much as a couple of us have already said we didn't read the entire post, this is some impressive dedication to not reading any of it, and still expecting answers.

Joshawott said:
Just went on their page, just scrolling down....fuuuudge that's a lot of responses.

And wow, they're pleased with 700 sales out of 1,000 copies shipped? That's erm...a real indicator of the industry.
That actually sounds like a p.good sell through rate to me, but I have no practical idea either way.

I had a quick read through that; and whilst I didn't get a chance to look at the pictures (nets running slow atm because my brothers grabbing a show), but yeah; that's not exactly good.

People in the states complain about Funimation making retarded choices with thier imports (Ie converting 30FPS to 24FPS) but sounds like Manga/Madman make some equally stupid choices.

Personally, I don't think in this case the cost argument is valid either; Manga are the only 'legitimate' source for these series in the UK, so they should be of decent quality. Having to import to get a reasonable version of the show really isn't good, regardless of Manga are charging less for the show.

Even more so give how far behind they tend to be in terms of release dates.

IE. Buy Welcome to NHK now for £15 import, or wait for it come out here, probably cost £25, and potentially be a bad copy.

It's not a good sales point...

PPS. I did take a look at Manga's twitter and couldn't see much on this, just thier competition today.

alexrose1uk said:
PPS. I did take a look at Manga's twitter and couldn't see much on this, just thier competition today.

They swept it under the rug.

I posted this issue on their website's forum and on their Twitter and after I gave them a final question ("Honestly, have you compared the US op/ed (extra) audio track with the UK ? "), they did not answer it, instead they removed all related posts from every place they have access to.

So in short, they just release the DVD that the Australian Madman Entertainment gives them and they either don't even check it's quality or just don't care to get it fixed.

Tind said:
alexrose1uk said:

They swept it under the rug.

I posted this issue on their website's forum and on their Twitter and after I gave them a final question ("Honestly, have you compared the US op/ed (extra) audio track with the UK ? "), they did not answer it, instead they removed all related posts from every place they have access to.
At least they saw sense re: getting rid of their twitter posts. The other stuff is a bit more insidious, but at the same time it's kind of what I'd expect them to do if you posted it on their own forums.

Some of the MangaUK comments I saw were, "The bottom line is that we always strive to bring UK anime fans the best possible products and value for money. It is unfair to judge us and nitpick us to death over select releases that are actually pretty good.", and in summing up, "If it aint broke mate....".

(I was talking to someone about it so I pasted those in at the time.)

I take it to mean that their model is working for them and for their buyers, and people who don't like it should look elsewhere as they don't plan on changing things. Which is an understandable, if annoying, stance. They're very open about only wanting to support a certain segment of the marketplace.

R

Still not a good attitude to take towards QC, and I find it ironic given some of thier comments on people NOT buying thier releases. I do agree sometimes nitpicking can be a little overdone, but reducing picture and audio quality...that's not a good thing as they're primarily in the business of supplying media!!

Late, Sometimes broken/flawed.
What makes us WANT to buy releases like that? It's not a good selling point.

They have worked themselves into a bit of a corner though. With their very low prices as their main draw, they have to cut corners, but if they raised the prices they feel people wouldn't buy any more. And from some of the online comments I've read, they're probably right.

I'm sure we'd all appreciate them giving Madman a nudge about their encoding practices though, and surely that much at least is free for them to do.

Otherwise, OP, it may be worth you sending your findings to Madman as well, leaving Manga out of the quality complaint process entirely. The complaint would have more weight coming from them, but they don't seem to want to take any responsibility, so...

R

Siren as well could do with a poke. As they aren't exactly amiss when it comes poor authoring of discs (Missing signs track on season 1 of Druaga).

What annoys me isn't the little stuff as on the extra features that the OP pointed out. I am long experienced, ever since I bought my first DVD, at the UK missing out on decent extra features.

It's the big stuff on the programme itself, like downmixing 5.1 audio tracks to 2.0 Stereo when they don't have to. Sentai's Xam'd DVDs have 5.1 audio in both English and Japanese. Madman's discs have 2.0 Japanese audio.

There's another forthcoming title that I can't recall offhand, but its US release has 5.1 English audio, and the Aussie release has downmixed that to Stereo. When the US studios specifically create 5.1 dubs for their anime releases, what's the point of downmixing those to stereo?

Rui said:
They have worked themselves into a bit of a corner though. With their very low prices as their main draw, they have to cut corners, but if they raised the prices they feel people wouldn't buy any more. And from some of the online comments I've read, they're probably right.
I think common sense just tells you they're right. Your average consumer cares about the finer points of video quality about as much as I care about the average consumer.

Back