Anime at the cinema

God just clicking on this thread again has gotten me angry again! And I can't even swear to let it all out! Arggghhh!!! WHY!!!!

God just clicking on this thread again has gotten me angry again! And I can't even swear to let it all out! Arggghhh!!! WHY!!!!
Why do you need to see it first? This seems unhealthy...

I like to think of it as my special bonus for not getting to see Your Name upon its UK release.

I'm more just perplexed and annoyed beyond belief to the point that I want to bash my head against the wall until I pass out from loss of blood that nobody picked it up, not even for the LIFF, like...why? UK Distro's being incompetent or Japanese committee being up their own ass, either way I'm angry! Kudos to Funimation man, I don't know how they did that one, or maybe it was easy and the UK is just garbage. I paid £100 for the Hideaki Anno Live Action Blu-ray, I'm such a fan of everything he does, my excitement for this was palpable, now I'm just in the mood for a fight. I needed this movie so bad, now...take your stupid kaiju movie, I've got a new love interest now. *cries*

I'm more just perplexed and annoyed beyond belief to the point that I want to bash my head against the wall until I pass out from loss of blood that nobody picked it up, not even for the LIFF, like...why? UK Distro's being incompetent or Japanese committee being up their own ass, either way I'm angry! Kudos to Funimation man, I don't know how they did that one, or maybe it was easy and the UK is just garbage. I paid £100 for the Hideaki Anno Live Action Blu-ray, I'm such a fan of everything he does, my excitement for this was palpable, now I'm just in the mood for a fight. I needed this movie so bad, now...take your stupid kaiju movie, I've got a new love interest now. *cries*

As I said earlier, I think the UK distributor was waiting to avoid a huge gap between home video and theatrical. I guess they were trying to avoid a repeat (prepeat?) of the Your Name scenario AL are facing. AL has hyped and hyped and hyped Your Name, now there's still a 6 month+ wait for home video.

All I can say is that I don't think you'll be disappointed. There's some interesting stuff in there, stuff that seems to be right in the Anno wheelhouse, and it takes an interesting politically forensic approach to a kaiju event . I'm not sure you could describe it as a straightforward action film. I'm hoping to see it again because I think there's a lot of political stuff you could read into that I unfortunately missed first time round.

That said, rumour is Hideaki Anno was kind of a dick to Shinji Hugichi...

If Godzilla is released on home video in the UK it'll bomb beyond belief now and I'm going to laugh my ass off, idiots. It'd be like delaying the release of Pokemon Go in the UK so it'd be closer to the launch of Sun and Moon, idiots don't they realize rising tides lifts all boats. Apples and oranges, different medium, different genre but Your Name is going to be huge for AL and the hype they built for it will contribute to that handily. If I buy Zilla, and that's a huge if because I might just skip it altogether now, I'll just import it. These guys can go to hell.

If Godzilla is released on home video in the UK it'll bomb beyond belief now and I'm going to laugh my ass off, idiots. It'd be like delaying the release of Pokemon Go in the UK so it'd be closer to the launch of Sun and Moon, idiots don't they realize rising tides lifts all boats. Apples and oranges, different medium, different genre but Your Name is going to be huge for AL and the hype they built for it will contribute to that handily. If I buy Zilla, and that's a huge if because I might just skip it altogether now, I'll just import it. These guys can go to hell.

Toho's release has no English subtitles. It's not an option for the vast majority of people. Provided they can get theirs out roughly in line with Funimation's, Altitude will be fine.

Also, I suspect Altitude has just delayed their theatrical to reduce the gap between theatrical and home video, which is probably the best approach. I know several people who are still looking forward to Shin Godzilla and haven't resorted to piracy. I think the long gap might have screwed Your Name slightly, as the people that couldn't see it theatrically have been subjected to a tonne of nonsense from the people that have and I don't know that it can live up to the hype.

Even if Altitude managed to release it day and date with Funi, I'd get Funi's. I'm usually level headed *audience erupts into fits of laughter* but screw em, I'll just get Toho's and find subtitles elsewhere.

As I said earlier, I think the UK distributor was waiting to avoid a huge gap between home video and theatrical. I guess they were trying to avoid a repeat (prepeat?) of the Your Name scenario AL are facing. AL has hyped and hyped and hyped Your Name, now there's still a 6 month+ wait for home video.

Stepping in here to shed some light on this but that's just not the case and Altitude are very smart people too who know the longer you leave a film after original theatrical, the harder it can be to push to the market. Piracy is a huge barrier to entry as if people can pirate it (spoiler from Japanese home video, they can do that) is the minute you have an issue especially. Also nobody sane in business doesn't get part moving sooner or you just are risking losing £££ you invested to acquire the film to start :).

Your Name's hype has benefitted - it has been a #1 best seller regularly on Amazon just now and pre-orders are great plussss there's always things we can do before homevideo too (IMAX would be nice to start). That said of course we don't want to wait but ultimately what normally slows down a release is not delaying it so you can do it close to homevideo but actually contract points or other business restrictions. So I'm pretty sure it's not been a grand strategic move anyway...

So I'm certain you'll find trying to avoid a situation like Your Name is 100% not the goal with this. It's actually still in cinemas though and passed by Arrietty now though so we're still working hard in the meantime :)!

AP

Stepping in here to shed some light on this but that's just not the case and Altitude are very smart people too who know the longer you leave a film after original theatrical, the harder it can be to push to the market. Piracy is a huge barrier to entry as if people can pirate it (spoiler from Japanese home video, they can do that) is the minute you have an issue especially. Also nobody sane in business doesn't get part moving sooner or you just are risking losing £££ you invested to acquire the film to start :).

Your Name's hype has benefitted - it has been a #1 best seller regularly on Amazon just now and pre-orders are great plussss there's always things we can do before homevideo too (IMAX would be nice to start). That said of course we don't want to wait but ultimately what normally slows down a release is not delaying it so you can do it close to homevideo but actually contract points or other business restrictions. So I'm pretty sure it's not been a grand strategic move anyway...

So I'm certain you'll find trying to avoid a situation like Your Name is 100% not the goal with this. It's actually still in cinemas though and passed by Arrietty now though so we're still working hard in the meantime :)!

AP
Having seen Your Name now, I don't know that it would benefit that much from IMAX. Sure a larger screen and maybe better audio quality are nice, but its not a film that needs it. It worked perfectly fine on a seat back tablet, with the occasional annoying interruption for duty free.

If you could somehow do a coordinated push on places that didn't get the film upon it's initial release ,that might be nice. But then, I suspect that would be difficult to pull off, and there's probably reasons it skipped those places to begin with.

You just want the IMAX screenings to be somewhere that's a pain for me to get to out of spite, don't you?
I wouldn't object. It's not like you haven't been obtuse about the whole thing on Twitter ever since the film first came out. I mean, people were just being lazy when they didn't take a train to go see the film, weren't they?

I wouldn't object. It's not like you haven't been obtuse about the whole thing on Twitter ever since the film first came out. I mean, people were just being lazy when they didn't take a train to go see the film, weren't they?
Yes, in situations with a train journey of under one hour and no prior commitments.

Yes, in situations with a train journey of under one hour and no prior commitments.

I'm not sure you can say that. Perhaps I'm being unfair, but anime fans seem to be a socially anxious sort. Taking a train and finding a cinema in an unknown city/town is not necessarily as easy as you'd think, and the potential consequences of it going wrong are quite severe. I personally get incredibly nervous in cinemas and prefer not to go on my own.

This is partly why I take objection to the "If you didn't see this film, you don't care about anime in cinemas" line some people were using. It's not that easy and to simplify it so aggressively like that just makes people with legitimate reasons not to go feel even worse.

I'm not sure you can say that. Perhaps I'm being unfair, but anime fans seem to be a socially anxious sort. Taking a train and finding a cinema in an unknown city/town is not necessarily as easy as you'd think, and the potential consequences of it going wrong are quite severe. I personally get incredibly nervous in cinemas and prefer not to go on my own.
My actual local cinema are 25 minutes away by bus or one of them is 18 minutes by train. The "local" cinema I use for anime is 40 minutes by bus or 30 minutes by train. The people whose primary issue was having to travel that little to a cinema are those I take issue with. It does seem that some people just have unrealistic expectations as to how close a cinema should be to their home.

I hate cinemas myself; well, I hate that they're full of people as I really don't deal well with people. I still stomach it to enjoy movies on the big screen - once the movie starts, I can pretty much forget there're other people there.

My local cinema is ~45 minutes away and I have to travel for over an hour to the most expensive region in the UK to see anime in a different one. So what? Everyone has different circumstances. What if Buzz was travelling for work or family during the time Your Name was in the cinema? What if he was short on cash that month? What if there was some kind of personal drama in his life making it hard to spare the time? Heck, what if he needed a wheelchair space and the cinema didn't have enough spaces for the demand over the handful of showings? I can think of any number of reasons why real, hardcore fans might not be able to spare an entire day to go on what amounts to a 5+ hour trip on public transport to see a film. I'll always try to make time for anime in the cinema but those who don't are just as worthy of respect.

Heck, until you start seeing anime you really, really want to see in the cinema there's no way of knowing you'll even like it enough to make the expenditure of money and time worthwhile. Seeing normal films in cinemas can often be kind of underwhelming if the circumstances aren't right, after all; I have a friend who has loved anime for two decades straight and I still had to drag him to go see Kizumonogatari (which he loved) because the cost and time issues discouraged him. If there's nobody doing that for Buzz I don't blame him for waiting for the later release.

R

Your not wrong.I could of gone to see Yugi-oh the other night but then I thought,Nah I'd rather sit on my **** and play some Resident Evil and have a couple of beers,considering I couldn't care less about Yugi-oh I feel it was the right choice.

This is the issue I'm currently having, I want to support anime in the cinema, but I couldn't give a damn about Yu-Gi-Oh.

Money isn't an issue -- I have vouchers, but I can't convince anyone to go with me, and I don't want to go alone. I feel like I'm letting the side down by not going though.

Back