Anime at the cinema

Looking forward to A Silent Voice! Re: no local screenings, it might be more effective to lobby your local cinema than it is to lobby distributors. I'm not entirely clued up on how the finances work out, but I believe that it's the cinema that has to pony up to book the film? Ergo, if they think there's going to be a decent turn out then they're probably going to.

Being an Aberdonian, I wouldn't necessarily agree that Aberdeen (City) is in the Highlands given the geography but Your Name is showing at the Eden Court in Inverness so there's no need to quibble ;)

Worth noting that there are upcoming showings of Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the Shell via Manga.

My only complaint is convincing people to get up off their arses and actually go see anime in the cinema ;_; I guess I'm kinda lucky living right between Glasgow and Edinburgh (well as far as this goes, it's a shithole otherwise :p) as I'm probably gonna have one of them as an option, if not both.

It was scheduled for Cheltenham Cineworld, if you can get to The Brewery on Wednesday 1st or Friday 4th February. I was tempted to go, just to show my support, but I've never seen Yu-Gi-Oh! before.

I might have to book tickets for that Friday showing. Thanks for the info. Been years since I watched a children's card game.

That said, even if there's nothing that can be done, that doesn't mean I can't be disappointed.

Re: no local screenings, it might be more effective to lobby your local cinema than it is to lobby distributors.

I'd agree that this is the route to go. Back in 2011 I emailed DCA in Dundee suggesting it would be great if they showed some films from the Scotland Loves Anime festival. Starting the next year, they did. I'm not saying my one individual email did anything on its own, but it surely couldn't have hurt either, given the outcome.

I've emailed them a few times now in praise when they've shown anime from SLA or taken part in the JpF Tour and have had reply in the past from their head of cinema, so it proves that they do read them.

Worth noting that there are upcoming showings of Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the Shell via Manga.

There are indeed. ;) Details here.

Manga are also touring the Yu-Gi-Oh! movie The Dark Side of Dimensions. List of venues here.

There's a screening of A Silent Voice as part of the Glasgow Film Festival at the GFT on 23rd Feb at 5.45pm. Other screenings of that may be of interest here include the UK premiere of Shin Godzilla, the documentary Mifune: The Last Samurai and a strand of Kurosawa films to tie in: Rashomon, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Seven Samurai and Stray Dog.

A Silent Voice is confirmed for Dundee DCA, and I have my ticket. Hats off again to Anime Limited! :D

I also bought tickets for the other Japan Foundation films, too.

There's a screening of A Silent Voice as part of the Glasgow Film Festival at the GFT on 23rd Feb at 5.45pm. Other screenings of that may be of interest here include the UK premiere of Shin Godzilla, the documentary Mifune: The Last Samurai and a strand of Kurosawa films to tie in: Rashomon, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Seven Samurai and Stray Dog.

@Yami: Are you planning on going to any of these screenings yourself, if you don't mind me asking?

I unfortunately can't make it, but I would've fancied the Mifune documentary and Shin Godzilla. I wonder what plans are set out for those, outside of these screenings.

Shin Godzilla is great. If you can make it go for it.

I saw it on a plane, and despite my initial concerns about the way Godzilla looks, and the fact they had very obviously blur censored a plane that appears briefly in one sequence, I went on to really enjoy it. I can't wait for it to get a proper UK release. Looks like Funimation might be able to release their BD before that happens though.

Any signs of a UK home video release or cinema tour, do you know?

I would assume Animatsu has it, so presumably limited theatrical and then home video.

However, aside from a Japanese article saying it had been sold in the UK & Ireland, we don't have any evidence.

I'm sadly too busy to make any of the GFF screenings. Shin Godzilla is being credited to Altitude Films though, and I have little doubt it'll get a limited theatrical release.

Can't believe I still haven't seen Godzilla, what the **** are they doing, Guess I'll pick up the Japanese BD next month at this point, ******* embarrassing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just checking something, no particular slight towards yourself intended qaiz, but is the following rule:
Offensive Language: We have users of all ages and backgrounds. Please avoid offensive language on the forums and official chat channel.
Still in effect? I know chaos wasn't a big fan of people swearing here so I tend to self-censor a lot.

I'm sadly too busy to make any of the GFF screenings. Shin Godzilla is being credited to Altitude Films though, and I have little doubt it'll get a limited theatrical release.

Altitude Films going all in for the Otaku market then, given the other news from earlier today? Let's hope it gets a BD, with at least some of the extras from the Japanese sets.
Can't believe I still haven't seen Godzilla, what the **** are they doing, Guess I'll pick up the Japanese BD next month at this point, ******* embarrassing.
It hasn't even had its UK premiere yet, don't abandon all hope.

Last edited:
Just checking something, no particular slight towards yourself intended qaiz, but is the following rule:

Still in effect? I know chaos wasn't a big fan of people swearing here so I tend to self-censor a lot.

Can confirm that it is and that the word in question has now been deleted from our collective options when posting entirely courtesy of our robot overlords. Ah, power.

R

Back