UK Anime Distributor Animatsu Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ironically I think Sidonia would probably have done better if it had had more streaming. Netflix's stupid streaming schedule meant I never bothered watching it (I don't have Netflix and one sight-unseen delaycast isn't a reason for me to subscribe). So the physical release was never even on my radar at all. There's so much anime out there that if an unknown title is deliberately withheld from me then I'm more than happy to give it a miss.

R

Dannielle said:
Attack On Titan may have been that other release?

When Jerome was asked about possibly releasing Seven Deadly Sins a few weeks ago, he said it was unlikely & something about Sidonia under performing.

I think only releases from this year were being counted, AoT was late 2014.

In a moment of sudden inspiration it came to me and I believe the other title mentioned was Space Pirate Captain Harlock (which is on Netflix)

Rui said:
Ironically I think Sidonia would probably have done better if it had had more streaming. Netflix's stupid streaming schedule meant I never bothered watching it (I don't have Netflix and one sight-unseen delaycast isn't a reason for me to subscribe). So the physical release was never even on my radar at all. There's so much anime out there that if an unknown title is deliberately withheld from me then I'm more than happy to give it a miss.

R

You're probably right. I'm so used to streaming now, I wouldn't even drop £23 on Danganronpa without watching an episode first (an American friend lets me borrow their FUNimation account). Even though I love the creative team involved and the show sounded really good and I was amazed at how cheap the show actually was. I guess it's now a case of Pandora's box being opened and Manga failing to deal with the consequences.

Clearly it must be possible for it to work financially otherwise Anime Ltd. wouldn't still be doing it and they wouldn't be buying digital only rights to shows like Arslan. Then again, Manga's recent announcements have all been uninspiring to me, whereas AL's have mostly been really interesting so maybe it's a case of the right titles getting money and the wrong titles getting pittance.

Most of my orders especially UK ones are blind buys, SAO i own still haven't watched same with GL and many others only my US imports or JP ones are series I have seen before

thedoctor2016 said:
Most of my orders especially UK ones are blind buys, SAO i own still haven't watched same with GL and many others only my US imports or JP ones are series I have seen before

Actually, having thought about it. I will blind buy cheap Anime Ltd. releases, but that's only because Andrew Partridge (generally) has good taste, so I know I'll probably like it. Whereas Manga haven't developed that sense of selection and many of their titles actively disinterest me.

Buzz201 said:
thedoctor2016 said:

Actually, having thought about it. I will blind buy cheap Anime Ltd. releases, but that's only because Andrew Partridge (generally) has good taste, so I know I'll probably like it. Whereas Manga haven't developed that sense of selection and many of their titles actively disinterest me.

I blind buy everything tbh, I'm too old to start with this streaming malarkey :lol:

britguy said:
Yes, so do I. Shall we start a club?
I'm looking forward to the "Blind Buyers Club" anime in the future.

Quite a few things I pick up are blind buys too but even then I think that having things available for streaming and added to my Crunchyroll queue helps remind me that I was interested in those shows. It does also mean it's more likely that people will be watching and talking about the show so that might also influence my decision.

I suppose that having shows available streaming does also mean that people can watch them and decide that they're not really interested in buying the show but I'd imagine that'd be a smaller factor than the potential benefits.

It'd be interesting to know if Animatsu/Manga are actually struggling or if they're really doing fine. The negative posting could be more of a general style/attitude thing than a response to actual problems.

Smeelia said:
It'd be interesting to know if Animatsu/Manga are actually struggling or if they're really doing fine. The negative posting could be more of a general style/attitude thing than a response to actual problems.

Jeromes twitter etiquette has been the same for a long time :lol:

thedoctor2016 said:

I don't do blind buys anymore, it's too expensive to take the risk. Its also easy to watch most shows via streaming so you can try before you buy. This is probably the biggest plus for me. Before streaming I didn't have a clue what to buy but streaming has helped me get back into watching anime it's far more accessible and I usually pick up physical copies of shows I like the most.

So in many ways streaming has made it easier for me to commit to purchasing anime.

I blind buy things if they look appealing since I have very good filtering in place to spot things I like. I don't mind taking a punt but there are some situations where streaming does affect my purchasing, for example:

1. I didn't think I'd like Fate/Stay night but I bought MVM's DVD set back in the day because it was cheap. Actually, I didn't really like it and wanted to punch the entire cast. But when Fate/Zero popped up for streaming I gave it a go and loved it, so much so that I bought the very expensive 'import' BDs. A massive win for streaming (and a massive loss for my wallet). Without the stream I would have bought a cheap complete collection at best. The series seemed to do quite well for MVM in special edition form too, probably in part due to people who felt like me but didn't have my budget or who wanted to buy locally.

2. I don't usually really love comedy because I'm a humourless old git. But then Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun streamed and I adored it, so I joined in the clamouring that Sentai said was needed in order to justify a special edition. Enough people demanded it and one was announced, so I preordered it instead of going for a cheaper version as I normally might have done without my passionate love of Kashima and Hori. Another win for streaming, and for a company which uses modern technology to interact with its fans in positive ways.

3. I wasn't that interested in Arslan Senki since I watched the old version and wasn't blown away back in the day. Anime Limited sorted out a stream for us directly and now I'm champing at the bit hoping they'll license it for a fancy edition soon.

4. I almost skipped Shirobako entirely because it looked like another one of the neverending 'cutesy girls in a club' shows I can't stand. Thank goodness I watched the first episode on Crunchyroll, as it's a much better show than I thought. Shame it's not getting a special edition, eh? (That was a hint.)

R

IncendiaryLemon said:
Rui said:
the neverending 'cutesy girls in a club' shows I can't stand.

Heresy!

Teehee.

In all seriousness thanks to streaming I probably spend more on series I would normally have skipped than I save on series which looked cool on paper but kind of sucked. I sometimes buy the terrible shows anyway even after seeing them streaming for stupid reasons like them having a good opening song, whereas something as simple as a negative review can turn loads of buyers away sight unseen. Sweepingly saying all streaming is bad for business seems desperately silly.

I wonder whether some really rubbish shows which come as part of a package deal could actually make more money from the "£xxx" streaming fee than they ever would in the market as physical products, when all is said and done.

R

IncendiaryLemon said:
Rui said:
the neverending 'cutesy girls in a club' shows I can't stand.

Heresy!
I also feel personally slighted.

Re: discussion surrounding Jerome's comments. This is a lot of discussion for someone talking such obvious nonsense. Visibility of the product you are trying to sell should be something you pick up in the home video industry kindergarten.

If it helps I'm pretty sure that I'm in a minority for my views about cutesy girls here.

The main thing that I don't understand is that it's universally agreed (I think) that anime on television gives good exposure and boosts sales. VCRs and their more modern cousins have been around the entire time that this has been relevant, but nobody sensible is worried that this will destroy the market for official anime releases because they recognise that people want the product. If the BD (or DVD) is better than the Netflix stream in some way then surely this is what should be marketed (ideally with a splash screen at the end of the Netflix stream itself)...

I wish I could ignore Jerome; it's annoying that he can still sabotage anime simulcasts for me from afar.

R

No, I dont think it is people are more concerned at about ease of watching the show these days, over the quality only fans true fans would care and buy the BD release over Netflix.

Rui said:
If it helps I'm pretty sure that I'm in a minority for my views about cutesy girls here.
You must have missed the results of the recent "Character Battle" that we conducted. Although I swear I saw your name somewhere in those threads... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back