UK Anime Distributor Animatsu Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dannielle said:
(If Animatsu or Anime Limited are reading and either have or are interested in the license for Shirobako, please give it a pretty release =3).
Seconded. One of the best shows in what was already a fairly strong season.

thedoctor2016 said:
windcott said:
so does everyone essentially think the rest of index won't make it to the uk at all ?
I dont think it will by his comments no.

:cry: bummed out about this, I blind bought index (possibly my first blind buy) and absolutely loved it, I can't find the rest of the season anywhere to stream legally :(

If we had an anime series battle on the forums I feel as though Shirobako would easily win about now (lol).

Jerome's comments were sort of ambiguous. It sounded as though they might finish Raildex but it won't be getting a great release if they do? Sucks that it sold badly, though after the massive delay until long after the hype had died down I'm not entirely surprised things turned out this way.

R

Jerome's comments to me sound like he's fed up of anime licensing in general, and whatever happened behind the scenes with Raildex was the straw that broke the camel's back, rather than any particular hatred towards Raildex.

I know it's easy for people to be unhappy with him and to suggest he's unreasonable, but I'd probably be just as bitter if I was regularly forced to make bad, often illogical decisions, at the behest of other people who are desperate to protect their seemingly unsustainable business model.

Jerome? Being an asshole? C'mon guys, surely you've got the wrong guy here. I love the way he writes JAPAN in all capitals though, as if it's one of the warring factions in Index, like SCHOOL or ITEM.

anime_andrew said:
Anyway, I've nattered on enough! Wouldn't normally intrude on another company's thread, but thought I would contextualise since I was indirectly referred to :)!
Nothing to apologize for here, your reply was remarkably polite and informative.

Rui said:
If we had an anime series battle on the forums I feel as though Shirobako would easily win about now (lol).
This sounds to me like you're looking for something to do on Sunday nights for the next eight months or so!

ilmaestro said:
This sounds to me like you're looking for something to do on Sunday nights for the next eight months or so!

Ummm...

Say, on second thoughts Ian's AUKN survey sounds like a much better way to resolve this! I'm expecting Shirobako-related things to be chosen as the winners in most categories. Best UK anime company → the company most likely to license Shirobako in the voter's opinion, and so on.

Don't let me down, team.

R

Shame I couldn't vote for Shirobako in Ian's awards because it didn't start in 2015...

Expanding on Rui's idea, I hereby propose the "Funny Story, AnimeUKNews First Official Bi-Annual Shirobako Awards". An example of some of the categories and nominees would be:

"Best Shirobako Anime Of [Year] Award"
Nominees: Andes Chucky, Exodus!, Shirobako, The Third Girls Aerial Squad.

"Most Anticipated Shrobako Anime Of [Year] Award"
Nominees: Marginal Village Depopulation Girl, Shirobako Season 2, Two Piece

"Best Shirobako Studio Of [Year] Award"
Nominees: Musashino Animation, Studio Taitanic.

"Worst "Damn It" Tarō Moment Of [Year] Award"
Nominees: That Time Tarō Mucked Up, That Other Time Tarō Mucked Up, That Time Tarō Mucked Up Again.

(You actually want to let me do this).

Joshawott said:
"Worst "Damn It" Tarō Moment Of [Year] Award"
Nominees: That Time Tarō Mucked Up, That Other Time Tarō Mucked Up, That Time Tarō Mucked Up Again.
I think Shirobako also deserves an award for making Tarou somehow kind of tolerable (as well as at least one other character, probably a few more minor characters too).

I can't really imagine anyone other than Anime Limited actually doing something special for a release of Shirobako. I just can't see Animatsu/Manga or MVM building a suitable new release for it from scratch, it's not really the sort of thing they tend to do. I guess it's possible if they teamed up with an australian company or something but I don't think it'd be very likely.

Saying that, I can't say I'm hugely confident that Anime Limited would do it either but it'd be really brilliant if they did. Also, I would be open to the possibility of someone else giving it a go since it could be an interesting experiment.

Joshawott said:
Shame I couldn't vote for Shirobako in Ian's awards because it didn't start in 2015...

Expanding on Rui's idea, I hereby propose the "Funny Story, AnimeUKNews First Official Bi-Annual Shirobako Awards". An example of some of the categories and nominees would be:

"Best Shirobako Studio Of [Year] Award"
Nominees: Musashino Animation, Studio Taitanic.

If Musashino Animation doesn't crush Studio Taitanic something is very wrong with the world.

(I should probably split this off to avoid taking the Animatsu thread over with Shirobako at some point, but it's a license suggestion so sort of legitimate, right?)

R

On an Animatsu-related topic, I found this tweet of Jerome's rather disturbing as it pretty much confirms something I thought was happening. It's part of a series of interactions with some familiar faces which contains these nuggets.

Jerome: Global anime distribution is now controlled by Crunchyroll, Funimation, Sentai and Viz Media. That's it.
CR put Arpeggio on Netflix UK, so there is zero chance I'd license it. Not worth it. Big shame.

(In response to being asked about why big titles don't go on Netflix.)

Jerome: It should be simple to understand. These series have been out for over two years b4 going on there. And! They have gone onto Netflix after DVD and Blu-ray. Not before. Why buy a disc if u can already get it on Netflix?

(In response to being asked about releasing a complete collection right after a series goes on Netflix.)

Jerome: Whicj one was that? Sadly! STARZ, Manga's previous corporate parent controller all digital. I wouldn't have done that. And now we are independent it's not something I'd do again. I wouldn't even do simulcast unless I was paid big MGs by CR or Viewster, which they aren't. No financial point. I pay £xxxx to Japan for the license. CR or Viewster offer me £xxx for exclusive simulcast. And £0 overages/royalties. They rinse over 70% of v value out of said license. I am then left with an empty shell to market on DVD and BD at additional £xxxxx cost and only convert 10-15% of fanbase 2 purchase. **** that. I'd rather launch my own VOD platform. It also irks me that the thieves and pirates are the ones now dictating the terms to the rest of the industry. Just like Napster did. It's ****ing hilarious.

There was some more general ranting but it confirms what I thought about how some sides of the UK industry are hostile towards simulcasting. I personally wonder whether Manga's relationship with companies like Toei is the direct reason Toei are so disinterested in letting us in on simulcasts, too. While I think he raises a number of good points (why are they only making money on exclusivity deals, something which harms fans??) and of course I don't want him to simulcast out of charity, using our market as a negotiating chip and refusing shows which have been made available to enjoy online is something which troubles me. Withholding the series so they're 100% 'fresh' to market seems to be more than a little unrealistic.

R

That's interesting, Andrew Partridge said on the most recent AL podcast that popular shows could make their money back in a month.

I believe he was talking about streaming, but it was a while back and my memory's not that good, so it might have been physical releases, although since most of their titles stream anyway, either is good...

thedoctor2016 said:
The tweets were to me, and he doesnt do simulcasts as there financially viable, thats what I thought he was saying.

I don't mind him not wanting to do his own simulcasting, that's his choice, but I'm deeply worried living in a country where our self-proclaimed biggest anime company/group of companies is actively hostile towards streaming and considers legal streams damaging when it comes to sales. It doesn't work like this anywhere else; the US monetises streaming and uses it for strategy decisions as well as to keep brand loyalty for the physical releases. Japan streams (well, or broadcasts) all of their television shows for obvious reasons. I don't see the logic around forcing people to go without for years (or making them resort to piracy or 'flights to the US') then expecting those people to come back eagerly to buy the disc release from the company which actively made things harder for them.

How did the sales for Index, a series which we didn't get as a stream, work out?

How is this building brand loyalty and trust, exactly? People learn that they have to bend or outright break the law to watch a show when all of their friends are and when it's actually relevant on release, then come back with their tails wagging for a crummy DVD several years later when nobody cares? I wouldn't care if he was just trapping his own company in the past, but if his old fashioned attitudes are making our streaming availability worse I'm actively cross with him. The lunatics are running the asylum.

I still don't understand why UK companies don't make noise about legal streams to raise awareness, or at least publicise their links to the show right when it starts streaming like AL does so people come hot off the simulcast and know where to go to buy their disc release in the future. Especially now we're moving to special editions; anyone can make a flashy piece of key art to draw in casual buyers but a stream can be the difference between a person putting down £10 for a S.A.V.E. set or buying a £100 special edition.

R

It's a shame we wont get a Physical release of Ars Nova it's a really good series. On Jerome's point about series being available on Netflix, this fact didn't stop them releasing Knights of Sidonia though I'm not sure what sales were like for this.

I can understand as a private company they are not willing to take huge risks on shows that have already been streaming for some time. I think there will come a point where Manga will have to venture into streaming/ Simulcast we are just not at that point yet.

crashmatt said:
It's a shame we wont get a Physical release of Ars Nova it's a really good series. On Jerome's point about series being available on Netflix, this fact didn't stop them releasing Knights of Sidonia though I'm not sure what sales were like for this.

I can understand as a private company they are not willing to take huge risks on shows that have already been streaming for some time. I think there will come a point where Manga will have to venture into streaming/ Simulcast we are just not at that point yet.

From what UK Anime Network said on their podcast a while back when Jerome made similar comments about Netflix destroying sales, Sidonia might be the problem. Apparently there are only a couple of titles Manga/Animatsu have released this year that were previously on Netflix, Sidonia and another which I can't remember (I thought it was Bodacious Space Pirates, but that isn't on Netflix). Andy Hanley said the other title was the best selling non-Ghibli release of the year, so it was Sidonia that presumably informed Jerome's opinion.

Attack On Titan may have been that other release?

When Jerome was asked about possibly releasing Seven Deadly Sins a few weeks ago, he said it was unlikely & something about Sidonia under performing.

I still hope they release the second series I'd be disappointed after shelling out 30 quid if I couldn't get the second season.

Rui said:
thedoctor2016 said:
Especially now we're moving to special editions; anyone can make a flashy piece of key art to draw in casual buyers but a stream can be the difference between a person putting down £10 for a S.A.V.E. set or buying a £100 special edition.

R

^^^ This 1000 times. Also he's essentially relying on people blind buying. The fact is the casual market, people who just wana watch the stuff, are moving over to streaming, that's the way the world is now. Home video is mostly going to be a collectors market or market for 60+. He can either be forward thinking like anime limited, or do what he is doing at the moment, releasing me editions, then complaining and thinking releasing a dvd only will fix his problems. I also don't get why he always insults the fans in his tweets ? This guy seems like an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back