ADV Films UK halt sale & distribution of select titles

harkins said:
Paul said:
I suppose all we can do is just wait for an official comment.
And stop buying anime in anything other than complete collection form. I'm starting to get quite a collection of unfinishable titles.
That leads to a vicious circle that will speed up their death rather than encourage them to release series. Not enough sales of the singles will mean that they will not do a boxed set which will ultimately mean a lot of people will never buy a title. Boxed sets, especially in ADV's case are largely dependant upon the popularity of the series and will only happen when they have recouped or are close to recouping their costs for the title.

Gawyn said:
harkins said:
Paul said:
And stop buying anime in anything other than complete collection form. I'm starting to get quite a collection of unfinishable titles.
That leads to a vicious circle that will speed up their death rather than encourage them to release series. Not enough sales of the singles will mean that they will not do a boxed set which will ultimately mean a lot of people will never buy a title. Boxed sets, especially in ADV's case are largely dependant upon the popularity of the series and will only happen when they have recouped or are close to recouping their costs for the title.
True and I do understand that really. Hell, I ‘buy’ all my anime, so I can always say I’ve done my bit. I’m just hacked off over now having a box and 2 volumes of Welcome to the NHK sat there with (gut feeling) little chance of ever filling the thing. So that’s the best part of £35 down the pan – and I only bought them a week ago. And that added to the Geneon collapse last year leaves me with a few series that I can’t possibly finish or would have to pay stupid sums for. Has anyone seen the cost of the Shana discs on Amazon? You’re talking around £30 for some volumes and £55 for volume 6!

certain titles never seeing the light of day at all (I'm thinking of Sergeant Frog here, given its length and otaku-centric appeal, it'll never make enough money).

Slightly off topic, but I would be suprised if Sgt Frog didn't make it in one form or another - as far as I've heard it's got a large following in Japan in the wider market, not just in otaku circles but with younger children and adults - I'm not suggesting it's anywhere near Pokemon scale but I think the potential's there for it to become a valuable asset for ADV if they market it correctly. Of course, whether ADV will be concerned about that at the moment is a different matter.

harkins said:
Gawyn said:
harkins said:
Paul said:
True and I do understand that really. Hell, I ‘buy’ all my anime, so I can always say I’ve done my bit. I’m just hacked off over now having a box and 2 volumes of Welcome to the NHK sat there with (gut feeling) little chance of ever filling the thing. So that’s the best part of £35 down the pan – and I only bought them a week ago. And that added to the Geneon collapse last year leaves me with a few series that I can’t possibly finish or would have to pay stupid sums for. Has anyone seen the cost of the Shana discs on Amazon? You’re talking around £30 for some volumes and £55 for volume 6!

I hope this is not true as I will be in the same boat, NHK can sit next to my half filled Rozen Maiden and Karin boxes and Black Lagoon. Maybe ADV and Geneon were bith in pretty bad shape last year and that's why their deal fell through, neither really having the money to do what was needed.

I remember when Pioneer pulled out of the UK anime market - they destroyed all their remaining stock.

At least ADV's clearing out as opposed putting instant death on their titles. Makes me feel they're planning for their next move instead of dying out. :)

Okay, now it certainly looks like ADV are on the way out, Cancelling their most popular current series is not something any company would do unless they're dying. This is probably going to leave a lot of dead licenses. I'm lucky I saw 5cm in the cinema...

The below news article was published, and then pulled from, ICv2. Hence it being a screen-cap instead:

http://img159.imageshack.us/my.php?image=advnewsyy8.png

I would suggest that due to the fact this has been officially removed from their site that you take whatever you read in this with a pinch of salt, however, it's seeming more and more likely that the Japanese investment in ADV has been canceled.

Paul said:
The below news article was published, and then pulled from, ICv2. Hence it being a screen-cap instead:

I would suggest that due to the fact this has been officially removed from their site that you take whatever you read in this with a pinch of salt, however, it's seeming more and more likely that the Japanese investment in ADV has been canceled.

Not my place to confirm or deny, but when you compare their list to the UK list you get a pretty good correlation between licenses acquired post investment that have gone on hiatus...

What the article that was pulled says is up to ADV to confirm or deny, but if you assume it to be true is you can pretty much bet that the companies who licensed titles to ADV (indirectly) will still want to make those licenses work for their own profits. So I'd expect to see a variety of those titles come back sooner or later to release lists (whatever the problem was...).

Hmm, OK, now I'll start worrying. :eek:

Can I arch my back and make hissing noises at "fans" (I'll start using that term in it's loosest sense now) that don't buy DVD's yet?

So, Andrew, any good news about the anime industry in the west? :?

So basically it’s ‘all gone wrong’ and the fat lady is drawing in her breath for the final song. I honestly cannot see any possibility of a happy ending here. This is a terrible loss to the industry and although ADV aren’t necessarily everyone’s favourite, I’ve always seen them as the flagship of the industry. This is like the sinking of the Bismarck.

Sorry if I seem a tad dramatic but I’m really upset by this.

On a slightly more positive note (I think) perhaps fewer players in this market might result in stronger players. Funi inparticular.

harkins said:
Sorry if I seem a tad dramatic but I’m really upset by this.

Same here. I love the anime industry we have in the west, because it was formed on fans trying to bring anime over here, and has still for the most part stayed with that ethos. I really don't want to see it die (but can't help think at this point in time in needs to)

harkins said:
On a slightly more positive note (I think) perhaps fewer players in this market might result in stronger players. Funi inparticular.

Hmm... Funi haven't had such good quarterly reports recently have they? If that trend continues I couldn't see the parent company (Navarre) backing them for too long.
How are the rest of the players doing btw? I think Manga Ent have been wiped off the map nowadays. Beez and Bandai still look shiny (ish).
Media Blasters seems to be happily plodding along in the niche of a niche market.

p.s. I'm now amending my sign for ADV saying "I ain't dead", adding the very small print "OK, the nice parents I had have kicked me out of the house, and it's snowing, and yes, I'm feeling a little funny and have been coughing up blood a little bit nowadays, and maybe my arms and legs are looking a little gangrenous and I may have to amputate, but don't worry, I'm fine..."

Paul said:

Goodness me, so it is true. This screenshot is a very important find; ADV really want to keep this to themselves though it seems.

This has made me wonder if any other kind of articles were posted on ICv2, then pulled.

Times really are bad for the industry. I think this leaves all the US industry with more or less no Japanese investment (excluding Bandai who are a Japanese company).

Thanks for the help, Japan... Seriously, do they really want to see their industry crumble in other countries?

Hopefully more people will see this picture, so they can stop speculating about it all, because these are the facts.

This is worrying if it's true.

I'm starting to wonder - Are we going to see another anime crash, similar to the one that happened with VHS? :(

What I don't understand though, is, because the Japanese anime market is so saturated and close to imploding, wasn't the recent batch of anime made with the purpose of selling to the west in mind? If so, isn't the fact of the Japanese backers pulling out, just going to bugger up the industry evenmore?

Or am I getting my facts screwed up?

From what I've read on animeonDVD though ADV's backers (Solzitz, however you spell it ;) ) were a financial backer rather than someone like a production company. Financial companies very easily pull funds when the market looks bad (which the American market does).
Don't discount that another backer may appear (as a lot of people are speculating since that ICv2 article was pulled).
We are not going to know the truth either way until ADV themselves tell us, chances are right now there is a lot of dealing going on over the pacific and we just have to wait and see.

Tasker said:
What I don't understand though, is, because the Japanese anime market is so saturated and close to imploding, wasn't the recent batch of anime made with the purpose of selling to the west in mind? If so, isn't the fact of the Japanese backers pulling out, just going to bugger up the industry evenmore?

If you look at the current series being aired in Japan, they are decidedly more Japanese focused than the spring and summer seasons offerings were.

btw, did anyone else read the column in Newtype USA from Jonathan Clements a few issues ago that said the Japanese were basing 50% of their profits on the western market? I wonder how much that number has changed....

p.s. Even if Japan did decide to turn their noses up at us and close borders (which I doubt), I can hardly blame them seeing how we've treated them. We steal their anime for free and then bitch they don't make it good enough or sell it too expensive. I mean, come on...

Balls!!!:evil:

Not happy now.

I do my best to support the industry I don't down load, I don't watch fansub. I spend probably between £150-£200 sometimes more a month on DVDs admittedly region 1 for several reasons including the quickest way I can get to see things (see things I don't do), price (only really relevent at the mo because of the exchange rate) and just something I like about most R1 releases. Now we have this Geneon no longer producing and ADV apparantly in trouble/on the way out, now whose next.

I forgot about the manga side of ADV as well I wonder how that is coping.

CitizenGeek said:
Fellistowe said:
We steal their anime for free and then bitch they don't make it good enough or sell it too expensive. I mean, come on...

Indeed! The situation is rather atrocious :[
I'm not sticking up for fansubs, But, Japan do do it to themselves. Anime is one of the biggest things that go through the file sharing programs [Which are massive, more so than us] in Japan. I don't think there industry is very supporting really. All in all, I'm not that surprised by the Japanese. £150 for 24 episodes ain't exacted very healthy for a average straight-out-of-school otaku.

Back on the main topic: ADV really are going through hard times, Its quite disappointing and saddening them watching them do this. This bad press can't be good though. They really need to get out a press release and shut everyone up and let them think it over. They seem like they need some business advice or something. =/ All we can do is hope they will pull through or at least not everyone loses there jobs, globally.

Back