ADV Films UK halt sale & distribution of select titles

Mohawk52 said:
J_C_X said:
Anime is too niche in the UK right now, for example AnimeCentral was the least watched channel last week (according to BARB).
That is terrible, and after all that advertising they did in the TV guides and newspapers, and did you see their 10sec ad on Sky and ITV? No me neither. :roll: I had a guy in work who just happen to glance my desktop that has a picture of Saya from Blood + on it and asked me if it was from a game. I told him what and where it was from and he said out of the blue, I like that stuff too bad it's not on the tele, to which I clicked on AC's web site and showed him the channel. he said "I knew nothing about it, why didn't they advertise it?" Good question I said. :roll:
It was pretty well advertised in all the places you'd expect fans to be looking. I heard about it in Neo shortly after it started broadcasting and of course it was mentioned here, I'm sure the UK anime club said something about it to it's members at the time and in most anime conversation circles there's a good chance someone will have heard of it. It's all about networking, far more effective than corperate advertising... and free.
Fellistowe said:
I'll just say one comment I've heard from industry recently:
"MVM are picking up all the good shows nowadays"
Amen to that, they're now my joint favourite distributor, if they pick up another good show before Beez gives me another mecha revelation they may well overtake em. :)

Fellistowe said:
Conan-san said:
Randomly swinging; confidence in the MVM company was non existant after being inable to make good on several shows that could of done fairly well (Kodocha and Dective Conan spring to mind), not geting shows that would of otherwise done gangbusters on tv (YYH) and the total ineptitude of the Sailor Moon releases?

I'll just say one comment I've heard from industry recently:
"MVM are picking up all the good shows nowadays"
aye? Haruhi's uncomfirmed and FLCL would've been great some five years ago.

Fellistowe said:
Conan-san said:
aye? Haruhi's uncomfirmed and FLCL would've been great some five years ago.

Better late than never ;)

And don't underestimate the selling power of Black Lagoon....
...You got excited when the delay for smash bros brawl was anounced, didn't you?

You meen the same black lagoon that will probably not get finished?

Conan-san said:
...You got excited when the delay for smash bros brawl was anounced, didn't you?

heh, apologies, I'm not a gamer so that one went way over my head :p

Conan-san said:
You meen the same black lagoon that will probably not get finished?

First series was certainly finished, and as far as I'm aware from past vague info floating around at the time of Geneons restructure, the sub and dub tracks for the second one were finished by the relevant subcontractors (well, I don't think their contracts on production were cancelled).

The fact that UK companies like MVM and Beez vie for licences direct from Japan means there shouldn't be an issue with licensing, and if the sub and dub tracks are complete there's nothing stopping MVM from buying them from Geneon.
Geneon still exist, they are just missing a distributor.

How about Contender as a potential distribution partner?

They've got the experience with Asian Cinema (Hong Kong Legends, Premier Asia), and ever since the Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee back catalogues were mined, HKL has been running on idle. Maybe they have the spare capacity?

Fellistowe said:
beez_andrew said:
MVM are a publisher, not a distribution partner - nor would they have any real interest as it doesn't benefit them greatly.

Andrew, am I right in saying the key word in that sentence is "partner" ?

Just quoting from MVM's website:

MVM is unique in the UK Anime industry in it’s multi-level supply, acting as licensor, distributor, wholesaler and retailer.

So MVM are basically in-house for all but advertising (which is handled by the same third part advertising company as Manga Ent).

Actually that's not so true either, for sales they use another company as well - like Pinnacle called Elevation Sales. My point is this - why would ADV-US cut costs by removing their fully staffed UK office to move their stock to another UK office who uses a sales company. Why not just talk to the sales company itself?

Apologies for not explaining better, the whole subject of companies such as Pinnacle is a long explanation really and one of the less covered issues as it's not usually of interest to fans ^^;. Will explain more in a second!

beez_andrew said:
Is it true to say this is MVM's biggest strength? They run a tight ship, keeping costs low by handling all aspects of the licensing and distribution process efficiently with minimal manpower and labour overheads, whilst leaving the more expensive and labour intensive process of PR to a third party, or as is more the case, the fanbase (through sites such as this).

ADV UK spends a lot of money and manpower on a strong public face, be it running events and bringing guests over for expo and conventions, extensive website and social networking sites, and talks and presentations.

The above is all true but it misses an important business element out. By running a very small ship, Elevation Sales (like Pinnacle) take the DVDs and talk to all the retailers out there, persuading them to buy X units of DVDs at a rate below RRP (let's say £13 for now for a 19.99 title). Of each £13 sale they make, they take a cut from that as well as charging for storing DVDs in their warehouse.

After the cut and cost to manufacture DVDs versus typical number of units sold per anime release at present, the profit for a company is small as is.

Now if you add in that MVM is not a charity - they would be charging a reasonable price of each sale also for the service, or a monthly flat out charge for the service of using the same distributor as them.

MVM are indeed tight ship - outsourcing most of its work to outside contractors (PR, Sales etc). But this would not transfer to them taking ADV UK's titles on, there's no profit to be made there and would be consistently more hassle relaying the requests for their titles onto the likes of Pinnacle or Elevation than it would be worth! Especially when you could arrange a deal with Pinnacle/Elevation/Whoever yourself.

All the above is true, but keep in mind we marketing types are let out of our cages talk to one another too, so we know roughly the score already :p

Fellistowe said:
MVM's public exposure in comparison is very minimal (possibly their weakest point I'd say) and low key. (Beez I'd say is inbetween ;) )

I'd be interested just how much sales figures are effected either way by both approaches, as I still feel the work that ADV UK do (or did) is critical for keeping the fanbase alive.

Beez is indeed in between - though there are reasons for that, which will change around May time!

In all honesty - there is no holy grail one approach. Each are good but you really need both to do well (i.e. good supplier links as well as good customer links). ADV UK's work was indeed very good for keeping the fan base alive, stuff like arranging cinema screenings at the Barbican, running events alongside others like Anime Day at HMV etc. They help bring new fans into the fold so would hopefully increase sales figures.

Of course how much it affects sales on a title-to-title basis is very difficult to establish however. As you may be a fan popular company, but to increase sales you also need to be popular with the retailers or fans have to request the titles they want from their preferred shops!

Fellistowe said:
Without those events at expo, without the social contact, does anime in the UK just become a flat import business rather than a vibrant and interesting experience? I'm open to thoughts and ideas either way ;)

I'd argue that you can't remove the social element of anime in the UK easily - take Minamicon and such for example. These were around even when the VHS scene was going through major setbacks - with numbers around 300 or so attendees at the time max.

Thus I'd argue it's a bit of a moot thought experiment there - but that being said I would say anything of this kind of genre without a social element becomes a bit flat.

Take that ever shining example of fantasy series Hercules starring Kevin Sorbo and Xena: Warrior Princess starring Lucy Lawless- there aren't any events dedicated to Xena and Hercules thus it has become kind of flat nowadays. People may buy the DVDs if of interest, but nothing else really. There's certainly not a vibrant and interesting community relating to it now!

You could argue the same to be true, broadening out over many series of course, to anime if you took the social element away.

Mind you - the fact that there are fans in the UK willing to talk on the internet if nowhere else about their favourite shows - suggests that the social element will live on I'm glad to say (for any number of reasons again - that's a whole essay waiting to happen!) So long as that keeps going as well there's always a chance for the industry to grow with it :).

heh, thanks for all the above Andrew, sorry I didn't make it clear, I didn't doubt your assessment on ADV's choices (hence I highlighted the partner bit), I was just sniffing for a bit more clarity on MVM (which you rather nicely provided ;) ). Good info too, hopefully it enlightens a lot of people as to why DVD's cost so much!

beez_andrew said:
I'd argue that you can't remove the social element of anime in the UK easily - take Minamicon and such for example. These were around even when the VHS scene was going through major setbacks - with numbers around 300 or so attendees at the time max.

I'd certainly agree the social element in the UK will never die as long as the fans continue to do what they do best (heh, you know how well I know that), but I think the industry side of things could well suffer from a decrease in PR.
Take Expo for example, if none of the distro's had any social element to them there would be nothing like the guest signings, cosplay events, or special talks. It would just become a vendor show (and a tad flat and boring).
Granted that the convention scene could make up for it, but as you know it's hard for the fan run conventions to come up with the capital necessary to bring important guests over, much as we'd love to (and try to).

As you say though, it's mostly a thought experiment. I guess I'm mostly upset over ADV UK because I just don't like to see bad things happen to good people, and you never know, perhaps even one person standing up and saying "hey! we don't want to see these people go, they mean a lot to us!" may in some way mean something. I gracefully bow and concede defeat :)

I guess it stands to those equally capable to step into the breach and continue the fight for anime fandom *looks Andrews way...*

p.s. May, hmm, Expo? Now what are you up too...

trumpster said:
It was pretty well advertised in all the places you'd expect fans to be looking. I heard about it in Neo shortly after it started broadcasting and of course it was mentioned here, I'm sure the UK anime club said something about it to it's members at the time and in most anime conversation circles there's a good chance someone will have heard of it. It's all about networking, far more effective than corperate advertising... and free.
Yes is saw that little half page ad in NEO too, but that is like preaching to the choir, and now as many of the new series AC are showing have probably been seen by most of the fans they are losing interest and leaving AC cold as the viewing figures are showing. AC need to tap fresh eyes, and invite new people to have a look and maybe become new fans so they don't have to rely on the established fans who are proving fickle.

Mohawk52 said:
trumpster said:
Yes is saw that little half page ad in NEO too, but that is like preaching to the choir, and now as many of the new series AC are showing have probably been seen by most of the fans they are losing interest and leaving AC cold as the viewing figures are showing. AC need to tap fresh eyes, and invite new people to have a look and maybe become new fans so they don't have to rely on the established fans who are proving fickle.

I think the problem AC has is that it starts too many series at the same time so if you miss the first few episodes of a couple of the series you want to watch, you might decide to leave it till the next set of series start and that means 1 less viewer for nearly a whole month for 26 ep series (or longer for more eps) now think how many people that could add up to. I think what may work better for them would be to start a new series each week or whatever it would work out at. That way if somebody missed the start of a series there may be another series starting they might watch, and at least it would keep them interested in the channel and as long as things were advertised on there properly they would know what's coming and may hang around for the next new series.

Just a general comment here: It's really tragic that ADV UK are finished! :/ They were awesome, definitely pushing anime in the UK in a way few other companies could claim. They released quality products, and I'm eternally grateful for the Evangelion tin set!

So long, ADV UK, ye shall be sorely missed by this anime fan! It's a pity that ADV have fallen victim to fansubs, but such is the industry in it's current state :[

Wait... are ADV UK really completely "finished"? I can't be bothered reading seven pages of debate, but I didn't think they were dead yet...

ANN have reported that ADV Films have taken down a number of their titles from their website now... And some stores holding them are no longer listing them. This have annoyed me quite some - Gurren-frickin'-Lagann is on that list and that means I won't be able to see it until any longer.

I'm sure I won't be alone on this but I'm going to watch it on Fansubs until they finally get there act together and start releasing it.

There are some other titles there as well, Like Welcome To The NHK in which I've seen but was planning to get it all together. I'm actually quite irritated now. I've been dying to see the series.

Sorry but.. Fansubs for the first view now. >__<

I'd say the above news is probably the clearest indication yet that ADV are officially in extremely dire straights. It seems like almost every new week brings news of a fresh cut-back from the company; be it Anime Network, Newtype USA, their UK and European operations and now this... If they can't even afford to release anything new, you have to question their viability in the future.

Also, it strikes me as odd that around this time last year, ADV were talking up massive investment from a Japanese investor, which quickly led to many of the licenses they've now suddenly placed in turmoil. One wonders whether or not there has been a sudden decrease in investment from the Japanese side of things which has left ADV in this concerning situation. It does seem very much like they've suddenly pressed the big fat red 'Panic!' button.

Well if you read the comments on the ANN forum its been pointed out that none of the these shows have been pulled from AN's VOD service and now it appears that some of the media has been restored to the site. Also the links to these shows now point to error messages its not like they have been carefully removed.

It looks like this is just more website issues like the ones ADV have had before, its unlikley they would have lost the liceneces or cancel these because when they done so in the past they removed the properly from the site and made announcements to retailers in advance.

Things aren't good with ADV atm but nothing as major, and selective, as this would have happened without some warning.

Also the idea that the japanese investors pulled is also highly unlikley, if it was a money issue they would have prioritised releases so they held onto money spinners like GL as they would have already paid for the licenses and would seek the best way to get a good return on that thus dropping lesser series.

I would have said the same thing, Hybridchild, but you have to question, if this is just technical maintenance with their website, why would they refuse to comment on the matter when questioned by ANN? They could have averted this whole issue if they had just admitted as much, but given their refusal to provide an answer, one suspects this implies there is something much more serious afoot.

Also, you say "they would have prioritised releases", but perhaps they simply don't have the finance right now to justify, say, commissioning an English dub, going through the whole production process and creating an advertisement budget for multiple series? It's been well documented just how much it costs to produce English dubs, so if worse comes to worse, I wouldn't be surprised to see many of the more niche anime they are releasing to be switched over to sub-only.

Indeed, I'd be seriously surprised if they genuinely canceled all of these releases, but we're probably looking at massive delays on the more popular stuff and certain titles never seeing the light of day at all (I'm thinking of Sergeant Frog here, given its length and otaku-centric appeal, it'll never make enough money).

I suppose all we can do is just wait for an official comment.

Just speculating here...
Since ADV UK's website kinda went down in a similar manner before the big anime sale (I was kinda watching it...), I wonder what the chances are that ADV's job losses were across the board, removing their own internal (website based) sales and distribution wing completely and just maintaining their subcontract distribution routes?
The VOD service probably requires very little manpower to run, so it'll survive. The labour intensive sales and distribution wing may have just died though (and probably a huge chunk of the PR staff too)

I also wonder, will the official statement we are all waiting for in Feb be a global statement?

Just ponderings....

Back