A plea for game suggestions...

Jaymii said:
The first few models of PS3 were backward compatible, via emulator for us and built-in for the US, but not anymore.
lol, yes, I am aware of the general concept, my "the" was specifically referring to the PS3 that he has access to. :p

Mutsumi said:
The older PS3s were all 60gb, which at least makes them easier to track down on ebay. The PS3 upscales PS2 games quite nicely by the way. :)

You mean, except for the 40gb and 80gb ones

ilmaestro said:
lol, yes, I am aware of the general concept, my "the" was specifically referring to the PS3 that he has access to. :p
Ohh, you were doing the thing like me where you don't bother with quotes. Okay. :)

Ah yeah, generally don't use quotation when I'm replying to the first post. Quoting to me is to distinguish when you're not doing that.

Jambo said:
Big confession: I'm 23 and have never owned a games console. Never. (Used to play on a friends N64/Gamecube/wii and got pretty good a smash bros, but thats about it.) Always been a PC gamer, but it seems the world is leaving this old platform behind.

The only thing that's leaving the PC platform behind is the mainstream audience, there's a ton of Indie games out there that put some of the big titles to shame.

However, since you want recommendations for some console games, for the 360 I would say the Gears of War series, Halo 3 (just for campaign alone, I doubt many people still play multiplayer on it) and Halo:Reach, for either console, Bioshock if you haven't picked it up for the PC, Bulletstorm, if you want to dip into some fighting games, then Super Street Fighter IV, Mortal Kombat and Marvel vs Capcom 3 are good bets to go on, if you enjoyed Assassin's Creed and want something more sophisticated and challenging, then go for Hitman: Blood Money, although for current generation consoles, it is only available for the 360, as for PS3 exclusives, Metal Gear Solid 4 is a solid bet, although it does help if you've played at least MGS1 and 2 (3 is a prequel, so don't worry too much about it plot wise), the Resistance series and Little Big Planet

Thanks for all the responses - gaming PC was old and full of arachnids and died a noble death, terrible timing with some of the games coming out in the next few months too. sorrows.

Valkyria Chronicles is high on the list of games to check out (never played a jrpg and I'm reading a tonne of glowing reviews too) and I'm thinking Bayonetta for some action based good times.

Just watched some gameplay footage for BulletStorm - is this normal? Developers seem to have set out to make a 'badass' shooter...might pick up for the hilarity if nothing else.

Marvel vs Capcom 3 seems a must for pvp gaming - going to convince flatmate to stop playing WoW for five seconds and join in.

Metal Gear series is one of those game franchises that it was impossible not to be aware of even if you weren't a console gamer - in a strange way playing it would almost feel nostalgic

Thanks again - keep 'em coming! I'm compiling a list...

Shirayuri said:
Mutsumi said:
The older PS3s were all 60gb, which at least makes them easier to track down on ebay. The PS3 upscales PS2 games quite nicely by the way. :)

I never really thought of those ones as older.

If we're going to get picky *my* backwards compatible PS3 (RIP) was 20GB originally :)

So Jambo, do you know if your housemate's PS3 is the kind which can play older PS2 games too?

R

Mutsumi said:
Shirayuri said:
Mutsumi said:

They were released at the same time as the 60GB ones though.

Shirayuri said:
Mutsumi said:
Shirayuri said:
Mutsumi said:

They were released at the same time as the 60GB ones though.

They were not. For the first six months at least, possibly the first year, all PS3s were 60GB.

Mutsumi said:
They were not. For the first six months at least, possibly the first year, all PS3s were 60GB.

I know several with 40GB and 80GB models that didn't wait that long after release; so it'd be fair to assume that most people will refer to 'old' PS3's as these.

Wiki said:
There are several original PlayStation 3 hardware models, which are commonly referred to by the size of their included hard disk drive: 20, 40, 60, 80 or 160 GB.

But whatever; I can see this going down the same line as other things you've got caught up over. All you said is 'older', and if you think something being 6 months newer no-longer makes it old; well I can't fathom how you can come to that. I would hardly call 6 months later to be significant enough to warrant it. As I said; some guys I know who got them the first xmas they were out have 80GB models; so I'd still be willing to call them the 'original' or 'old' PS3's.

But seriously, i'm not even gonna carry on; playing a game over petty definitions with you just isn't worth it.

wow, wish I had found this out sooner - the flatmate's PS3 is the 160gb slim version, so apparently can't deal with PS2 games.

Shirayuri said:
Mutsumi said:

I know several with 40GB and 80GB models that didn't wait that long after release; so it'd be fair to assume that most people will refer to 'old' PS3's as these.

To be honest, we're both right. Considering that there are two distinctly different versions of the PS3 (fat and slim), and that the slim has been out for a good while now, when saying 'older' PS3 it would be fair to just think of all the older model, ie the fat ones. However, the 40GB models came out in October 2007, half a year after the 60GB ones. The 80GB ones almost a year and a half after the 60GB ones, in August 2008.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Playstatio ... B000WNDP5M
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PLAYSTATIO ... 489&sr=1-1
Release dates are on the Amazon listings. Sorry if you think I am being obsessive, but I bought my PS3 on release day and I knew there was only one model out at that time, and for a sizeable time afterwards. It's just... I can't back down when I know I am right. I just can't. If it bothers you that much, Google 'Aspergers Syndrome' and perhaps you'll understand a little more of me.

Rui said:
If we're going to get picky *my* backwards compatible PS3 (RIP) was 20GB originally :)
Mine too. ^_^ Fortunately it was not much trouble to replace it with an actually useful size of HDD. ^^;

ilmaestro said:
Rui said:
Mine too. ^_^ Fortunately it was not much trouble to replace it with an actually useful size of HDD. ^^;

Yes, I think its original 20GB drive was useful for about 2 weeks ^^; just about enough time for me to order and receive a meatier replacement.

R

My favourite PS3 game is Yakuza 4. At heart it's an RPG with surprisingly deep action-based combat as its primary component, but it's a game so huge and with so many fun distractions that you're bound to find plenty more worth doing.

Also highly recommended:
Valkyria Chronicles (innovative and beautiful strategy RPG)
Sly Collection (three accessible PS2 platformers tarted up in HD)
Uncharted 1 & 2 (spectacular cinematic action games)

Jambo said:
Bayonetta for some action based good times.
Bayonetta is brilliant but seeing as you have access to both HD consoles I'd recommend the 360 version. The game was developed for the 360 then apparently given a quick and dirty PS3 port, and the results were not good.

fabricatedlunatic said:
My favourite PS3 game is Yakuza 4. At heart it's an RPG with surprisingly deep action-based combat as its primary component, but it's a game so huge and with so many fun distractions that you're bound to find plenty more worth doing.

Also highly recommended:
Valkyria Chronicles (innovative and beautiful strategy RPG)
Sly Collection (three accessible PS2 platformers tarted up in HD)
Uncharted 1 & 2 (spectacular cinematic action games)

Jambo said:
Bayonetta for some action based good times.
Bayonetta is brilliant but seeing as you have access to both HD consoles I'd recommend the 360 version. The game was developed for the 360 then apparently given a quick and dirty PS3 port, and the results were not good.

You missed this post, Rui.

Back