A plea for game suggestions...

Jambo

Completely Average High School Student
Big confession: I'm 23 and have never owned a games console. Never. (Used to play on a friends N64/Gamecube/wii and got pretty good a smash bros, but thats about it.) Always been a PC gamer, but it seems the world is leaving this old platform behind.

However new flatmate has brought along a PS3 and Xbox 360. So, for the first time, I can actually explore console gaming. To be honest I'm at a complete loss as to where to start - I've been playing some Assasin's Creed 2 at flatmate's suggestion, which is pretty enjoyable. But I know that there is much much more out there.

Can anyone recommend me some games on either platform, regardless of genre (though non-driving/sport if possible), to act as primer for a completly clueless person?

(The subject of recommendation requests has no doubt been done to death (I sense admins waiting in the wings even as I type) so apologies if this is an inappropriate topic.)

Man that was embarrassing...

I would recommend for the xbox as I don't own a ps3, Dragon age, and Dragon age 2, both are incredibly good games IMO, also Batman Arkham Asylum, Lego Harry Potter (for general fun!) & if you're into your sega stuff get the sega mega drive collection. I think those are pretty varied in genre, hope it helps somehow! :)

I second Arkham Asylum. I suspect being a pc gamer you have already played the Orange Box, heaven forfend if you haven't =P Dead Rising 1/2 are both excellent games if you can get past the initially harsh difficulty and single save file system. If you're into Horror I highly recommend Condemned. It's no triple-A title but it is incredibly involving and tense. I would also like to recommend Red Dead Redemption if that's not available on PC and the Gears of War series. Most mass-market shooters don't grab me much at all (COD, Halo etc.) but Gears is a lot of fun, especially 2.

I don't know of many PS3 exclusives but the Uncharted series is highly recommended by my ps3 owning friend, as is Heavy Rain =) Shadow of the Colossus is also worth picking up when the PS3 gets the HD remix of it soon.

Arkham Asylum. I would imagine you will get bombarded with Japanese RPG's but I don't think they are the best start really. Give Mass Effect a go.

Always been a big fan of RTS and RPG games for the PC, things like Oblivion, Neverwinter Nights, Total War etc, current desktop had a semi meltdown a few months ago and I'm relying on my laptop, which is great for the net and watching dvds but next to useless for gaming.

Gears of War has been suggested as a great intro shooter by the flatmate as well and I'm hearing a lot of good things about Dragon Age. Bit wary of rpg games on consoles though (PC gamer talking here) as most would seem to work better with PC mechanics - more suited to stop-starting and inventory management than consoles, which I've always associated with more free-flowing gameplay.

I'm open to anything though!

PS3 > 360, and I have both with which to compare fairly. The PS3 has, overall, the better selection of exclusives, and has more reliable hardware. More and more games nowadays are having to be on multiple discs for the 360, whereas the PS3 version is not only on one disc, but is a superior version too, sometimes with extras. Plus you get the best blu-ray player on the market (multi-region players notwithstanding).

I recommend Demon's Souls. Very good game, fairly challenging too.

I can't think of many good RTS for Xbox 360 or PS3 I am afraid. The control of Joypad doesn't really suit those types of games. The Wii has however got a few good RTS with the Gamecube ports of Pikmin 1 & 2 and Little King Story that come to mind.

There's plenty of good western style RPG on both Xbox 360 & PS3. They can't be customize nowhere near the extent of the PC versions of the same game. They still are very good games and theirs plenty of choices in this field:

Fallout 3 & Fallout: New Vegas
Mass Affect 1,2
Fable 2, 3
Demon's Souls
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (coming soon)

Played Mass Effect 1 and 2 on PC and was a massive fan. Skyrim is a given, love the elder scrolls series.

With Fable its been suggested that 2 leaves 3 standing, any ideas?

Demon's Souls sounds like its got some support - I'll check it out.

Best to check up on the reviews on the titles I mentioned, as my recommendations come from generally the feeling I hear about those games mentioned and the review I have seen.

I find the Video Reviews on Game Trailers give you a good incite to the latest Video Games: http://www.gametrailers.com/game-reviews

Not really into HD gaming, I myself prefer games from Wii & DS and games before them on the whole.

I much prefer my PS3, but it's not always the best port. Rockstar games come in as slightly below HD on the PS3 for some bizarre reason. It's not actually a bad thing because they are superior in other aspects, but in generally its a preference comparison. (PS3 looks more filmic, better shadows etc. 360 sharper, usually brighter).

I thought play them, but it might be a time to give some fighters a go? Street Fighter IV, Mortal Kombat, Marvel Vs. Capcom -- some good new stuff out there.

Metal Gear Solid 4; cheap nowdays and awesome.

Eternal Sonata; one of my favorite JRPG's and has bonuses on the PS3 version. I picked up for £15 new on PS3. (Had it on 360 before it RRoD'd)

Devil May Cry 4/Bayonetta; both good for punchin' out some combos and generally havin' a laugh.

I can list more, but I would go against hte Fallout suggestions; I loved Oblivion but really didn't enjoy Fallout 3 or New Vegas nearly as much.

Oh, LittleBigPlanet may be fun if you have flat mate(s) to play with!

Valkyria Chronicles (Best game this gen)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Uncharted
Uncharted 2
Arkham Asylum
Bulletstorm
Metal Gear Solid 4

And for the love of God, don't get Mass Effect or Orange Box on console like others have suggested. Get the PC versions.

Does the PS3 have backwards compatibility? PS2 is really a better way to go than either current gen console imo.

And yeah, people should stop recommending games he could have played on PC, haha. Even Arkham Asylum has a great PC version.

ilmaestro said:
And yeah, people should stop recommending games he could have played on PC, haha. Even Arkham Asylum has a great PC version.

Jambo has mentioned his gaming PC is broke, so recommending games which are also available on the PC is still an option.

ilmaestro said:
Does the PS3 have backwards compatibility? PS2 is really a better way to go than either current gen console imo.

The older PS3s were all 60gb, which at least makes them easier to track down on ebay. The PS3 upscales PS2 games quite nicely by the way. :)

Back