The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Does anyone know if Manga UK's release of Madoka Magica (the series) still comes with the cardboard slipcase? I have the chipboard CE of the first 2 movies and the release of the third one with the slipcase, would love it if the series also had its slipcase.

Does anyone know if Manga UK's release of Madoka Magica (the series) still comes with the cardboard slipcase? I have the chipboard CE of the first 2 movies and the release of the third one with the slipcase, would love it if the series also had its slipcase.
Doubtful, I bought it like 2 years ago and it didn't have the slip, you're gonna have to go 2nd hand I reckon.

For planning ahead - How does AL's annual chrismas sale usually work out? I remember some prices were dropping a bit and there was this mystery thingy. But I don't remember it very much in details, because, because I saw a lot of "UK-only" which made me crunching my teeth and moan and try forgetting about it as soon as possible. But this year that's not as much of a problem anymore~
(Namely I'm considering the best timing when I should be getting Charlotte Part 1-2. Had to pass on the early birds of part 1 because the EA savings was lower than shipping and Charlotte P2 is up on Amazon for den EA price. But then, AL's international shipping is a flat, so if I am getting a lot of stuff, it's cheaper again and if the UK-only stuff is waaay cheaper than even adding Royal Mail's shipping might be cheaper.)

For planning ahead - How does AL's annual chrismas sale usually work out? I remember some prices were dropping a bit and there was this mystery thingy. But I don't remember it very much in details, because, because I saw a lot of "UK-only" which made me crunching my teeth and moan and try forgetting about it as soon as possible. But this year that's not as much of a problem anymore~
(Namely I'm considering the best timing when I should be getting Charlotte Part 1-2. Had to pass on the early birds of part 1 because the EA savings was lower than shipping and Charlotte P2 is up on Amazon for den EA price. But then, AL's international shipping is a flat, so if I am getting a lot of stuff, it's cheaper again and if the UK-only stuff is waaay cheaper than even adding Royal Mail's shipping might be cheaper.)

I believe they usually do a 12 Deals of Christmas, where they have 12 different deals over 12 consecutive days. They can vary from discounts on older stuff to cheap pre-orders for upcoming releases, sometimes with extras like the exclusive art book that came with Belladonna of Sadness, to the mystery boxes that we got last year, which was a first.

Might create a Amazon JP account to get an art book but have a few of questions.

Anyone have a rough idea of what the shipping would be? the art book is 2808Y?

Also what sort of packing to they use? Don't want an artbook turning up with bashed corners.

Lastly, do they pre charge the VAT? I believe Amazon US does. Shouldn't do in this case as I'm sure I've read books are 0%.

Books are indeed 0%

From what I've heard packaging is better than the standard Amazon fare, some people have said books are shrink-wrapped to a supporting cardboard piece others have had items loose with the usual paper padding.

It shows you shipping price and such on checkout, here's what a 3000yen 248 page book pre-order direct from Amazon JP cost me with AmazonGlobal Priority Shipping:
NnkDI2i.png
hqiVzsZ.png

As with Amazon USA, you also get VAT refunds occasionally. Easiest way to check the shipping is just to take a look like qaiz did :)

I've never had a problem with Amazon JP's packaging. Sometimes DHL opens it for inspection which is a lot rarer from other suppliers, but they are lightning fast and the stuff always arrives in one piece. The packaging often borders on excessive but even when I order flimsy magazines they turn up looking fine.

R

Thanks for the replys. Can't get to the checkout without an account so I couldn't check like Qaiz did.

Decided to order from Play-asia as I already ahve an account there. Wasn't much difference in price, maybe £2 more(excluding the import deposit). Couldn't be bothered to create an account to save such a small amount.

Took a chance and went with the shipping option that doesn't pre-pay the VAT seen as books are 0%. Just got to hope Play-asia mark it as a book.

Last edited:
What are CeX online like with limited edition sets? Notice they have MHA for £35 currently out of stock though.

There is always a risk with any second hand product especially if you cant see it before hand. My experience with CEX has been positive, all the ones I've received on blu ray have been in good condition (this is usually because they are newer titles). DVD sets are more of a risk as the sets tend to be old and DVD's are easier to scratch.

Back