Upcoming UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Artwork

@Lutga It's a definite improvement.
hissatsu said:
Since I was pretty sure Ergo Proxy has an HD broadcast and they described it as having ハイビジョン映像 and not some variation of the word remaster, I figured it would take a new level of douchebaggery to release an upscale. So I pre-ordered. As expected, it's not an upscale. The R1 DVD screenshots are from the original Geneon singles release (I believe the same discs were used for the Funimation distributed 2008 box set release).

(DVD screenshots bicubic resized to 1920x1080)

01 R1DVD | JPBD
02 R1DVD | JPBD
03 R1DVD | JPBD
04 R1DVD | JPBD
05 R1DVD | JPBD
06 R1DVD | JPBD
07 R1DVD | JPBD
08 R1DVD | JPBD
09 R1DVD | JPBD
10 R1DVD | JPBD
11 R1DVD | JPBD
12 R1DVD | JPBD
13 R1DVD | JPBD
14 R1DVD | JPBD
15 R1DVD | JPBD
16 R1DVD | JPBD
17 R1DVD | JPBD
18 R1DVD | JPBD
19 R1DVD | JPBD
20 R1DVD | JPBD
21 R1DVD | JPBD
22 R1DVD | JPBD
23 R1DVD | JPBD
24 R1DVD | JPBD
25 R1DVD | JPBD
26 R1DVD | JPBD
27 R1DVD | JPBD
28 R1DVD | JPBD
29 R1DVD | JPBD
30 R1DVD | JPBD
31 R1DVD | JPBD
32 R1DVD | JPBD
33 R1DVD | JPBD
34 R1DVD | JPBD
source

Pretty decent.

The weird thing about Ergo Proxy is that I remember the quality of the art varying massively through the series. Some episodes looked remarkably good, whereas others had the characters so off model it was laughable.

Even so, it's crazy to think it came out in 2005 - like stuff like Last Exile and GITS SAC it looks miles better than most of what was around at the time in terms of shading / colouring / general fidelity etc.

Sorry if someone has put this up, but I haven't seen it here.
Anime Limited's Harmony box art
HARMONY_PACK3D_UK_1024x1024.jpg

This looks really tasty - like most of Rintaro's stuff, definitely an anime that will look all kinds of stunning in HD (someone pick up the X movie next please!)

Hopefully this opens the door for more potential anime releases from Eureka.

I hope this release does well for Eureka, Im a fan of the film so will be picking up the steel book. I expect that will sell out fairly quickly given its liited run. Its a shame the artwork on the Standard edition is better. As Lutga hopefully this will lead to more anime releases from them. There is certainly a gap in the UK market for older titles.

My favourite anime, re-released just in time for my birthday? How curiously convenient.

(Though it does mean that my raw Japanese import will have to be replaced.)

It's hard to know what else Eureka would pick up - they generally focus on real 'landmark' art-house / historically noteworthy films, and when it comes to anime, most of the obvious ones are sewn up already. I guess some of the other lapsed titles might be ones to go for...

Millennium Actress
Cowboy Bebop The Movie
Memories
Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust
Barefoot Gen
Jin-Roh
Patlabor 2

It's hard to know what else Eureka would pick up - they generally focus on real 'landmark' art-house / historically noteworthy films, and when it comes to anime, most of the obvious ones are sewn up already. I guess some of the other lapsed titles might be ones to go for...

Millennium Actress
Cowboy Bebop The Movie
Memories
Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust
Barefoot Gen
Jin-Roh
Patlabor 2
Anime Limited are already doing Cowboy Bebop the Movie next year.

Ahh, I think I must have missed that announcement somehow.

You can add Steamboy to that above list too - another one that'd look stunning on Blu Ray.

It's hard to know what else Eureka would pick up - they generally focus on real 'landmark' art-house / historically noteworthy films, and when it comes to anime, most of the obvious ones are sewn up already

This is part of their new licensing deal with Sony, who were previously a no-go for all UK labels but as of the past few months now licence to Eureka and Indicator (and AL, if Cowboy Bebop The Movie is really happening). So Tokyo Godfathers, Steamboy and Memories are probably most likely.

I'm a huge fan of Lang's Metropolis so I'm quite tempted to blind buy the Eureka release, how similar is the animated version to the original film?

I'm a huge fan of Lang's Metropolis so I'm quite tempted to blind buy the Eureka release, how similar is the animated version to the original film?
Well this film is an adaption of the Osamu Tezuka manga of the same name which itself is loosely based off of the 1927 film. In fact, the manga was just based off of a single still image that Tezuka saw of the film and so although this bares some resemblance to the Lang directed masterpiece, be its inspired art deco architecture that populated the 1927 film and some core themes, this film is neither silent nor black and white and is ultimately its own thing, one that takes liberties from even the manga of which its based upon.

In fact, the manga was just based off of a single still image that Tezuka saw of the film and so although this bares some resemblance to the Lang directed masterpiece, be its inspired art deco architecture that populated the 1927 film and some core themes, this film is neither silent nor black and white and is ultimately its own thing, one that takes liberties from even the manga of which its based upon.
The liberties it takes are very substantial. Lang, Tezuka and Rintaro offer three very different stories united under a similar name and visual style, each bearing thematic content that the others lack.

Anime Limited

Gundam Reconguista in G: Limited Edition (Blu-ray)

IMG_51881-850x850.jpg

IMG_5158-850x850.jpg

IMG_5159-850x850.jpg

IMG_51601-850x850.jpg

IMG_5164.jpg

More pics on Anime Ltd. blog

I must say, absolutely love those clear cases. Much more elegant than the default blue cases.

Back