UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Mobile Suit Gundam titles are licensed and handled on a title-by-title basis - it just so happens that Cucuruz Doan's Island ended up with Crunchyroll so they hold the UK rights on this one, but that doesn't have any impact on our broader plans for Gundam releases. Indeed, although it's been a slower year for Gundam from us we are making progress on the next title in the pipeline - not sure when we'll be able to share news on that one, but keep your eyes peeled as always!
This still baffles me. Sunrise/Bandai closed down the likes of BEI and Beez, briefly tried selling Gundam as Japanese retail Blu-rays with optional English subs before quickly deciding that wouldn't work and so went instead with local regional partners like rightstuf and Anime Limited.

Setting aside the former and Crunchyroll are now one and the same, by what logic does it make sense undercutting one of your regional partners? Reminds me of some of the horror stories I heard when I briefly worked for BEI. How Sunrise would basically tell them "We've decided you're releasing this Gundam next", essentially force them to pay a fat licensing fee, offer no support and then blast them when it didn't sell well.

Indeed, although it's been a slower year for Gundam from us we are making progress on the next title in the pipeline - not sure when we'll be able to share news on that one, but keep your eyes peeled as always!
I have finally ordered the US version of 0080. Sorry to spoil the surprise, everyone, but it's that 😂

Patlabor the movie...

Must have some big brass ones to contemplate that one again following Beez's go at it.
Like many others, I assume, I got those LEs for a fraction of their original price. Best LEs ever, those gold and silver breezeblocks. If AL did get the Manga UK dub though I'd have no choice but to buy them yet again (current count: VHS, DVD, Sentai Blu-rays).

It hasn't had a UK release in over 16 years so, whatever the sales figures then were, I'm not sure how relevant they are to the current landscape. I've been pretty vocal in asking for it (and the rest of Oshii's films) to get a new UK release so hopefully we're moving in that direction - and hopefully if/when it does materialise it improves on the shortcomings of the US releases.

If someone does license Patlabor 1&2 movies I hope they can get the Manga UK dubs since they were not on Sentai/Maiden Japan Blu Rays. This also goes for Venus Wars as well since Sentai decided to redub it and ditch the Manga UK dub sadly.
I'd pay stupid money for blu-ray releases with some of those old dubs: the Patlabor movies, the Vampire Hunter D OAV, and Space Adventure Cobra with the Yello soundtrack especially. Even Discotek couldn't make the latter happen though.

I'd pay stupid money for blu-ray releases with some of those old dubs: the Patlabor movies, the Vampire Hunter D OAV, and Space Adventure Cobra with the Yello soundtrack especially. Even Discotek couldn't make the latter happen though.
Its a shame that older dubs especially Manga ones don't ever make it to Blu Ray since a lot of them become lost. I hate that Sentai has started to redub older anime like Vampire Hunter D and Venus Wars, it just makes me not buy them. Discotek is doing good work on old and lost dubs but it sucks that they couldn't get some like ADVs 5 Centimetre per second dub.

• Crunchyroll USA (Funimation) had recently more "public" delays than ever since I remember
  • Crunchyroll UK (Manga Entertainment) managed to get their releases out on time earlier this year, but are now again in their "usual" delays
  • MVM had several delays
  • did I even mention Media Blasters?
Although it seems Amazon may be bringing out my copy of Dragon Maid S...

Can I once again show my appreciation for @Hanners for coming and talking to us. Right now only AL and mvm seem to want to provide representation which set's you above crunchyroll. Would love for them to have representatives here to talk through issues but seems they don't care but AL and mvm clearly do. Thank you.
My sympathies, I remember when Jerome was head of the now former Manga. to be fair to him, he did communicate to fans. Crunchyfail are a joke never mind physical releases even going so far as having their streaming app on my PS4 keep pausing . Not sure about Switch

I appreciate the delicate balance when it come's to information and what you try to provide and i agree with @Dai on the idea of a RAG rating approach.

As your first post said you guy's are human too so to bring in more fun topic's (and this goes to @anime_andrew and @demiopedia ) what's been your favourite anime release from AL this year.
Andy stole my pick so my second fav release this year was probably Josee, the Tiger and the Fish Collector's Ed. I know it's pretty corny but that's one of the first films I worked on after starting here so it holds a special place!

Andy stole my pick so my second fav release this year was probably Josee, the Tiger and the Fish Collector's Ed. I know it's pretty corny but that's one of the first films I worked on after starting here so it holds a special place!
I've yet to actually watch the thing, but for whatever it's worth I think the Josie CE is one of the nicest AL releases in a while.

I mean, you guys had me at digipak + soundtrack, but everything put together in that release was just more substantial than I was expecting.

A strong choice (and another project I was lucky enough to be product manager for!) Definitely very proud of everything we managed to pile into that Collector's Edition, and we had so many amazing materials and beautiful pieces of art to work with!

@Hanners another question (after saying the last one would be my last but now realised I have another) when is digimon adventure last evolution kizuna coming out on dvd/blu-ray? Your releasing that one right?

We don't have a date for it currently, but we'll certainly be releasing it on home video! We're probably looking at 2023 at this point, but we'll share more details once we have them.

Back