Ahh that is a shame, but thank you very much for confirming! Is there any reason in particular why those are unlocked? Night on the Galactic Railroad is my all time favourite animated movie so I feel very lucky for that.
I'll have to look into investing into a US-friendly blu ray player.
I don't believe there's any proper reason for Night of the Galactic Railroad and School Days to be honest.

As for the others, Discotek has Australia, New Zealand and South Africa rights for City Hunter so they were able to add Region B support for their Blu-ray releases. Robot Carnival is Region A, B & C as they have worldwide outside Japan rights I believe.

I don't believe there's any proper reason for Night of the Galactic Railroad and School Days to be honest.

As for the others, Discotek has Australia, New Zealand and South Africa rights for City Hunter so they were able to add Region B support for their Blu-ray releases. Robot Carnival is Region A, B & C as they have worldwide outside Japan rights I believe.
Thank you very much for all of the information, I appreciate it!

Ahh that is a shame, but thank you very much for confirming! Is there any reason in particular why those are unlocked? Night on the Galactic Railroad is my all time favourite animated movie so I feel very lucky for that.
I'll have to look into investing into a US-friendly blu ray player.
It (Night on the Galactic Railroad) was Region Free by mistake. It was accidently looked over in Scenarist (the program for authoring discs), and we've never went back to correct it.

Little Nemo is another Region Free title, as well.

I'm considering getting the Orguss BD, but I'm debating about whether to do so yet, as it's a 3 disc set, and I'm not sure if Orguss is using the same case as Dear Brother, which had the incident involving one of the discs being broken (I was lucky enough to avoid that happening when I got my copy).

Discotek's December 2021 line-up has been revealed. No surprise titles here, and Project A-ko was announced for this release window prior.

AnimeSRPAudio/SubsContentFormat
Cutie Honey The Live$49.95Japanese
with English Subs
26 episodes
[Live-action]
Blu-ray
Girly Air Force$39.95Japanese
with English Subs
12 episodesBlu-ray
Legendary Armor Samurai Troopers (Ronin Warriors)$79.95English & Japanese
with English Subs
39 episodesBlu-ray
Project A-ko$29.95English & Japanese
with English Subs
FilmBlu-ray
Robot Carnival$34.95English & Japanese
with English Subs
Film4K Ultra HD

Just Girly Air Force for me out of those.

I wish I was interested in having a copy of that glorious HD presentation they were showing for project A-ko since they found the original film elements, but it's just not an anime I would care for. Perhaps I'd consider getting it under $20 during a Discotek sale to put me over a free shipping threshold, just to have a copy in my collection.

EDIT: Oops, Ok, I just noticed with my Got Anime membership at Rightstuf, the Project A-ko Blu-ray is already only $17.97, so I'll probably just go ahead and throw it in with my order for Girly Air Force. How silly can A-ko really be, anyway? Lol.

Last edited:
Man, I really want Project A-Ko - it occupies a place of nostalgia for me as the first anime I ever saw back when I was a little whippersnapper, and I'd absolutely love to own a remaster especially seeing the work that's gone into restoring it.
However I am assuming this will be region A locked so I'm **** out of luck unless I buy a region A/multi-region BD player :(
Would anyone here like to speculate on the chances of it getting a UK release later on? Do Diskotek releases often/usually end up here?

Man, I really want Project A-Ko - it occupies a place of nostalgia for me as the first anime I ever saw back when I was a little whippersnapper, and I'd absolutely love to own a remaster especially seeing the work that's gone into restoring it.
However I am assuming this will be region A locked so I'm **** out of luck unless I buy a region A/multi-region BD player :(
Would anyone here like to speculate on the chances of it getting a UK release later on? Do Diskotek releases often/usually end up here?
Maybe Rose Of Versailles and Dear Brother possibly if there's enough demand.

AL France released Rose of Versailles a while ago and I feel they may still be interested at releasing it here.

I hope AL manage to grab Dear Brother before the Diskotek license expires.

Man, I really want Project A-Ko - it occupies a place of nostalgia for me as the first anime I ever saw back when I was a little whippersnapper

AL did release Discotek's Konosuba, but that's a newer title with broader appeal. Apart from that, there hasn't been a lot of interest in their output from UK distributors, even with films like FotNS which I would think has a chance of selling reasonably well.

Based on that, I wouldn't be confident that A-ko will come out over here.

I don't love A-ko, myself, but I do share your sense of nostalgia for the film. It was one of the first anime released by Manga UK in the early 90s and one of the first I watched.

Discotek's January 2022 line-up has been revealed. One Blu-ray upgrade while the rest were already known.

Appleseed (1988)$29.95English & Japanese
with English Subs
FilmBlu-ray
Case Closed: Sunflowers of Inferno$29.95Englsuh & Japanese
with English Subs
FilmBlu-ray
Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple Season 2$59.95English & Japanese
with English Subs
25 episodesBlu-ray
Ninja Robots Tobikage$79.95English & Japanese
with English Subs
43 episodesBlu-ray
Urusei Yatsura: Remember My Love$24.95English & Japanese
with English Subs
FilmBlu-ray

Discotek's January 2022 line-up has been revealed. One Blu-ray upgrade while the rest were already known.

with English Subs
FilmBlu-ray
with English Subs
FilmBlu-ray
with English Subs
25 episodesBlu-ray
with English Subs
43 episodesBlu-ray
with English Subs
FilmBlu-ray
It's good to see another one of the UY movies getting a firm date. When the first one was delayed I worried it might take them a couple of years to release all of them.

It's good to see another one of the UY movies getting a firm date. When the first one was delayed I worried it might take them a couple of years to release all of them.
only 3 more after Remember my love.
I wonder if there is a chance for the OVAs and TV series to be rescued and BD released also.

with English Subs
FilmBlu-ray
with English Subs
FilmBlu-ray
with English Subs
25 episodesBlu-ray
with English Subs
43 episodesBlu-ray
with English Subs
FilmBlu-ray
Very happy to see Ninja Robots get released with the strange and/or memorable dub that Discotek has been showing off (and essentially selling me on it so congrats, the by proxy marketing worked) and filling the remaining section of the show's dub audio that they couldn't find with some newly recorded stuff, I am absolutely getting hold of that. Great stuff.

Last edited:
Just wondering.
Does SD Blu-Rays work on PS3?
Planning to get SD BDs for Kodocha and Marmalade Boy this month

I'm sorry to report that after testing both of the SD-BD discs in the set, only the first one will play on an unmodded (as far as I know, I did get it secondhand from CEX) PS3 - the second disc contains episodes 41-76 plus the movie and extras so you'd be missing out on a lot if you can't play both discs!

Back