Anime That is Cut in the UK: The Definitive Thread

I think I have an old issue of Manga Mania from the 90s that discusses some of the cuts made back then I'll see if I can dig it out it might make for interesting reading :)
AFAIK, at the very least some of the Overfiend releases and stuff like Adventure Kid didnt even make it past the censors.

I think I have an old issue of Manga Mania from the 90s that discusses some of the cuts made back then I'll see if I can dig it out it might make for interesting reading :)
AFAIK, at the very least some of the Overfiend releases and stuff like Adventure Kid didnt even make it past the censors.
Urotsukidoji 4 had about 50 minutes removed to pass certification, someone still thought it was a good idea to release it in such a state too.

All 4 Urotsukidoji titles have some level of cuts in the UK.

Please verify:
It seems that a few seconds of footage involving a Nazi flag (Episode 8, around 9:08) are missing on the Universal Blu-ray release of Drifters.

It seems that the scene is included, however might be skipped depending on language settings.

Last edited:
No point linking to the BBFC anymore, given the uselessness of their site.

My Girlfriend is Shobitch is cut.

Episode 3 has 2 minutes and 49 seconds of sexual innuendo involving an infant removed.

No point linking to the BBFC anymore, given the uselessness of their site.

My Girlfriend is Shobitch is cut.

Episode 3 has 2 minutes and 49 seconds of sexual innuendo involving an infant removed.
Well, it's certainly been a while since this has happened. Do you have any more information on the cut? Such as where it took place, etc?

(And yeah, I checked the BBFC website and it's useless lol).

From around 4:40 to 7:20 of episode 3 is all gone.
I just watched that segment on HIDIVE and... yeah, I can see why...

For those who don't know, the sequence is basically flashbacks to Kosaka as a 4 year old, and her mother's observations really sexualising her behaviour...

Last edited:
In all honesty, I had a feeling that the BBFC would cut that particular scene from the moment MVM announced a release of Shobitch.

If anything, when I watched the series on HiDive a few years ago, I found the scene to be very unsettling, so I can understand why it was cut.

Last edited:
An update on Shobitch: I reached out to the BBFC and they replied to me today, confirming that the scene was cut. I also asked them about the episode still being uncut on HIDIVE:

We classified My Girlfriend is Shobitch 18 with cuts in June this year. Cuts were issued to a scene in which a child is portrayed in a sexualised context. These cuts were issued in accordance with BBFC Guidelines, policy and the Video Recordings Act 1984.

With streaming services, there is currently no legal requirement for platforms to submit content to us for classification. However, some do on a voluntary basis. It's also very common for streaming services to use the same cut versions as on home entertainment and the cinema for consistency.

Song Substitution:
UK BD release of Napping Princess replaces the licensed cover of The Monkees' Daydream Believer (sung by the lead voice actress IIRC), played during the closing credits.

I have no idea is this the same case with other English speaking region releases, but I'd wager that it'd be a high probability.

4K BD of Ghost in the Shell (1995) released in the US by Lionsgate has the One Minute Warning by the Brian Eno and U2 playing during the end credits. (I think this is probably the case with every Western release of the film ever.)

4K BD of Ghost in the Shell (1995) released in the US by Lionsgate has the One Minute Warning by the Brian Eno and U2 playing during the end credits. (I think this is probably the case with every Western release of the film ever.)
I'm 99% sure the track is only changed on the 4K version. I watched the previous western Blu-ray and DVD releases enough times to know that the original music was intact at least on the Japanese track.

In fact I found it very jarring when I first watched the 4K disc and it played something else at the end, because it still does like the first two chords of the proper track and then switches to the U2 one when the credits start. It may in fact be an error where it was only meant to play the U2 credits music on the dubbed track but not the Japanese one, and it was included on the Japanese track by mistake. The fact that the track is still intact during the opening credits would lend some credence to the idea that this was done in error and wasn't a licensing issue.

Song Substitution:
UK BD release of Napping Princess replaces the licensed cover of The Monkees' Daydream Believer (sung by the lead voice actress IIRC), played during the closing credits.
Damn, that sounds like it would fit rather well as an ending song. I can't actually remember what the UK BD of the film does use. 🤔

It may in fact be an error where it was only meant to play the U2 credits music on the dubbed track but not the Japanese one, and it was included on the Japanese track by mistake.
That's a really interesting idea. I can't think, though, of an example of a release where the music differs between audio tracks. It's usually just the dialogue.

That's a really interesting idea. I can't think, though, of an example of a release where the music differs between audio tracks. It's usually just the dialogue.
The reason I suspect it's an error is because when Motoko is looking over the city in the last moments, the correct music does start to play as normal, but then suddenly cuts off when the credits screen appears, implying that the other music wasn't supposed to be there.

Also the fact that the real music is perfectly intact during the opening credits and during the bit where Motoko walks through the city. I can't see how the licensing would be intact for the song to play twice but not the normal three times. And I had heard somewhere that there was a version of the English dub which had different end credits music.

Also I believe Lionsgate's SAC Blu-ray set at least initially had an error which would cause the incorrect audio track to play sometimes. So this kind of error wouldn't be unique for them. The UK 4K disc is based on the Lionsgate release.

Song Substitution:

I have no idea is this the same case with other English speaking region releases, but I'd wager that it'd be a high probability.
The UK BD uses Shout Factory's discs, so it affects the US release too.

I can't think, though, of an example of a release where the music differs between audio tracks. It's usually just the dialogue.
Manga replaced music quite a bit in the 90s, though most of those dub tracks have been lost to time due to licensing. Cyber City Oedo 808 was one, as @RadFemHedonist mentioned, and AL have thankfully resurrected that.

Manga replaced all the music in the Space Adventure Cobra movie with songs by Yello, which works surprisingly well. That dub is only available on the original VHS and the French DVD.

They replaced Ko Otani's orchestral score for Gamera: Guardian of the Universe with some awful generic techno. I don't think that version had a release after VHS and it's no great loss.

The opening and ending songs in Dominion Tank Police were replaced, though I can't remember if the score was different too. I think the DVD has the Manga music on the dub track, but I can't remember for certain.

And I had heard somewhere that there was a version of the English dub which had different end credits music.
Ghost in the Shell 2.0 doesn't use One Minute Warning.

Cyber City Oedo 808 is the first example that comes to mind
Cyber City Oedo 808 was one, as @RadFemHedonist mentioned, and AL have thankfully resurrected that.
That's really interesting. I haven't watched my AL Blu-ray yet, so I've only see it in its Manga-dubbed form from when it was screened at Scotland Loves Anime a few years back.

I'll look out for the soundtrack differences. 👍

By contrast...
Manga replaced all the music in the Space Adventure Cobra movie with songs by Yello, which works surprisingly well. That dub is only available on the original VHS and the French DVD.
... I've only seen this in Japanese. The UK DVD I have includes a dub, but it's sadly not the Manga one, which I'd have loved to see because, based on the trailers, the Yello soundtrack seems like it really is a good fit.

But why is the Manga dub included on the French DVD of all releases? 🤨

Back