UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

could be mandates from the powers that be,
Unlikely as Italy and Korea announced their Ultimates first so doubt there's a set date to announce things.
Probably going to sound silly coming from me but from a marketing standpoint they shouldn't have said anything about a standard edition yet. Wait until its sold out, then say we have standard plans, then announce in a month or Xmas sale. Literally what AL have done before!
It's better optics than:
'yes there's a standard, it's all finished planning, we know when it's coming, its all set'
'Cool, can I see?'
'Hell no! Give it a week and a half!'
No sense other than to capitalise on FOMO 🤷‍♂️

I did the math, for anyone else in Ireland looking at this, don't forget as well as the 23% vat, you're also going to get hit with customs duty @ 12% because it's over €150, and add the fedex charge of €18.45 (last I checked), with current exhange rates you are looking at a grand total of €258, and that's with the 10% animeunlimited discount, it'll be €283 without it, and this is with free shipping.

Looks like it's going to sell out anyways so kind of a non-issue unless you're ready and willing to jump on an order straight away, which I'm not, I do feel bad for my EU neighbours though, who don't even have the option (and it'd cost them even more due to shipping if they did).

edit; I presume the other releases in the EU won't even have english subtitles, as is usually the case?

Unlikely as Italy and Korea announced their Ultimates first so doubt there's a set date to announce things.
Probably going to sound silly coming from me but from a marketing standpoint they shouldn't have said anything about a standard edition yet. Wait until its sold out, then say we have standard plans, then announce in a month or Xmas sale. Literally what AL have done before!
It's better optics than:
'yes there's a standard, it's all finished planning, we know when it's coming, its all set'
'Cool, can I see?'
'Hell no! Give it a week and a half!'
No sense other than to capitalise on FOMO 🤷‍♂️
Thing is this set is being coordinated with the US and Aus versions so its 3 companies (4 with the Japanese licensor) that have to agree a schedule for release of the various sets and presumably this was all agreed in advance.

438 copies left. It's sold more at £200 a pop in 90 minutes than most normally priced releases sell over their lifetime.

At this rate, doubt it'll be still here by the end of the day, or by tomorrow evening at the latest.

haha this aged well

They are probably watching the count go down thinking, "Did we make too few? This usually isn't the problem."
Guess the extra editions are for the rest of the crowd who desperately want it.

Bought it immediately. As for the directors cuts. I believe almost all of the entire sequence of asukas encounter with the angel in 22 is directors cut. You know the bit if youve seen it. the repetition of the phrases 'my name is asuka, look at me look at me, anta baka' I had the original vhs tapes (non directors cut) of the show until recently and that part was not in them. That sequence is one of my favourites, be it in japanese or ADV. We know for certainty now that at the very least the new dub discs will include the directors cuts.. I hope that the original dub has the option for OG or DC as the platinum DVDs gave the option, and ADV did dub the extra material too.

Is there something that could prevent AL from confirming if orders from EU will be cancelled? I have asked from AL several times if EU orders will be cancelled and if they will cancel it before December but I haven't received any answers. Other people have asked the same from AL but no answers. I will gladly settle for Standard Edition but I would like to have my money back before December.

Last edited:
I'll see if I have any spare cash and if they've got any left in Dec/Jan/Feb or whenever it releases. Asking for 200 quid upfront when it's at least three and a half months way is something I just won't do.

As lunatic Ataru states, this is the sticking point for me: I do not want to pay £200 3+months in advance. Especially when AL are not known for their timely, reliable releases. With the way AL and delays go together, this could end up being some kind of elaborate bank account interest scam by the time it arrives. Andrew didn't even think this would sell out until December. Here we are, a few hours after going up, it's nearly sold out. Even I knew Eva are rabid creatures and supply/demand would be skewered by desperation.

That, and it's shady they are teasing but not showing cheaper editions. Not as shady as when Manga sold me a £100 UE GitS SAC square and weeks later announced a cheapo edition, mind. It's caused people in this thread to order just in case a dub here won't be there, on the 30th. I can see a lot of people getting buyers regret on the 30th and cancelling.

Also, though this is a more personal point: fduck gigantic square ultimate editions. I'd said under £200 + EoE = get. I wish they'd done the decent thing and priced me out now, tbh. 1p~

Last edited by a moderator:
This may help reduce them numbers 😂
DescriptionQuantity
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Ultimate Edition Blu-ray
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Ultimate Edition Blu-ray1500 → 375

It's actually episodes 21 to 24 that have a TV version and a director's cut, just so folks know.

Though, as you'll know, there are also some noticable differences between the original TV version of episodes 1, 6 and 19 and subsequent home video versions.

Thing is this set is being coordinated with the US and Aus versions so its 3 companies (4 with the Japanese licensor) that have to agree a schedule for release of the various sets and presumably this was all agreed in advance.
Yeah 100% agree coordinating a simultaneous release across 3 countries is a mammoth task. But that criticism goes to them as well, I'd assume this has been bounced back and forth with approvals since before it was announced. There is no way they aren't ready to go on the standard edition with all the packshots and blurbs for every company waiting to be uploaded.
My whole point was it was a calculated business decision to wait 11 days to announce it and one I personally think is wrong.
Announce it at the same time or announce it in a month, don't say we could've announced it but didn't 😂

As lunatic Ataru states, this is the sticking point for me: I do not want to pay £200 3+months in advance. Especially when AL are not known for their timely, reliable releases. With the way AL and delays go together, this could end up being some kind of elaborate bank account interest scam by the time it arrives. Andrew didn't even think this would sell out until December. Here we are, a few hours after going up, it's nearly sold out. Even I knew Eva [redacted] are rabid creatures and supply/demand would be skewered by desperation.

That, and it's shady they are teasing but not showing cheaper editions. Not as shady as when Manga sold me a £100 UE GitS SAC square and weeks later announced a cheapo edition, mind. It's caused people in this thread to order just in case a dub here won't be there, on the 30th. I can see a lot of people getting buyers regret on the 30th and cancelling.

Also, though this is a more personal point: fduck gigantic square ultimate editions. I'd said under £200 + EoE = get. I wish they'd done the decent thing and priced me out now, tbh. 1p~

I'm 12 and what is this 🤔

Last edited by a moderator:
Still have my Platinum Edition tin DVD Box set and debating whether I should get this set or go for the standard edition.
Would prefer a edition with just the artbook and/or artboards tbh.

Back