What did you RECEIVE today? PHOTOS EDITION!

I didn't get the K-on hype either after watching it. The characters were fun enough, but reading my mini review from a few years back, my problem seems to be that it had the hook of girls in a band, but then they did anything but play their instruments for episodes on end. I also said there was no plot or character growth which does seem a little odd for CGDCT, but when compared to say Yuru Camp it pails in comparison. I think it comes down to the original work with Yuru Camp being a manga and K-on being a 4-koma so, without having read it, I guess there's not much linking the skits and writers on the show didn't fill in the gaps too well either.
Sound! Euphonium is still my favourite KyoAni which is SOL, but not in a CGDCT type of way and that was a novel adaptation.

I didn't get the K-on hype either after watching it. The characters were fun enough, but reading my mini review from a few years back, my problem seems to be that it had the hook of girls in a band, but then they did anything but play their instruments for episodes on end. I also said there was no plot or character growth which does seem a little odd for CGDCT, but when compared to say Yuru Camp it pails in comparison. I think it comes down to the original work with Yuru Camp being a manga and K-on being a 4-koma so, without having read it, I guess there's not much linking the skits and writers on the show didn't fill in the gaps too well either.
Sound! Euphonium is still my favourite KyoAni which is SOL, but not in a CGDCT type of way and that was a novel adaptation.
I see this all over the anime fan community, but the term slice-of-life gets misattributed to a lot of shows. Pretty much any contemporary high school story tends to be referred to as SoL, regardless of what it really is. It's interesting that the things you didn't like about K-on are practically the defining elements of the slice-of-life genre. It sounds like you you didn't want it to be SoL; you wanted a coming-of-age drama. Conversely, Sound! Euphonium isn't SoL at all; it's pure coming-of-age drama.

I hated K-on for years precisely because I was used to high school band stories being inextricably linked with the coming-of-age archetype, and was frustrated that they wouldn't take the music seriously. It's only in the last year, after acquiring a taste for SoL shows, that I reassessed K-on and started enjoying it on its own terms.

It sounds like you you didn't want it to be SoL; you wanted a coming-of-age drama.
Didn't really want it to be anything, but most shows I've seen that were SOL/CGDCT have a hook which is the "Thing" that they do, so Yuru Camp is camping, Breakwater was fishing, Asteroid in Love was astronomy, Hanayamata was yosakoi, etc, etc.

They went through the trouble of earning money for their instruments, but didn't seem to play them much and then were suddenly great at playing when they performed at the school festival.

You're right about Sound, but my mind was drawing a blank about other shows. There is certainly an element of following the everyday life of a student in every school based show, but with the drama involved with competition it wouldn't qualify.

Didn't really want it to be anything, but most shows I've seen that were SOL/CGDCT have a hook which is the "Thing" that they do, so Yuru Camp is camping, Breakwater was fishing, Asteroid in Love was astronomy, Hanayamata was yosakoi, etc, etc.

They went through the trouble of earning money for their instruments, but didn't seem to play them much and then were suddenly great at playing when they performed at the school festival.
I was drawing a blank in my first post but yeah it's likely that lack of focus and development that ruined it for me with regards to the story. While Laid-Back Camp obviously romanticizes the experience of camping somewhat it still shows real development with Nadeshiko's experience. It's kinda like clickbait with the promise of the characters learning their craft only for the them to spend the rest of the series doing the opposite.

Blimey we sure have gone off topic

Got my most expensive RightStuf order today, a grand total of $773.12. I now have all the Aniplex releases that I want. Just waiting for Heaven’s Feel 3, which got pushed back to 31/8 and hoping that Mugen Train gets announced soon. If the latter doesn’t get announced by 29/9, I’ll import the Japanese release, along with the Kishibe Rohan OVA and both parts of Fate/Grand Carnival.
vv52byfrdwh71.jpg

Here’s a shot of all my Aniplex titles, FMA - Brotherhood were my first ones, that I received in January of this year. There’s a grand total of DKK 31,930 on this photo, or around £3,628….
Salute to you 🔥 Your dedication is simply out of this world and is a true joy to witness 💪

20210818_152849.jpg
I may have gone a bit overboard with my Mandarake haul 😅

Surprised the Love Live fanbooks were that big. Was expecting them to be more manga sized lol
20210818_153158.jpg
Takahashi Akira Toei Animation Precure Works
20210818_153211.jpg
Macross Delta the Movie: Passionate Walküre
20210818_153223.jpg
Muteki-kyuu*Believer with Blu-ray
20210818_153656.jpg
Gee I wonder what my favourite Nijigasaki pairing is. It sure is a mystery.

Decided to get another bunch of old cheap anime. Virus was supposed to be vol1-3 so they let me pick something else from their marketplace for the same price and are gona send me Jyu-Oh-Sei - Planet Of The Beast King
View attachment 20357
I haven't seen any of those, but from the reviews I recall at the time, that photo is Manga's bottom-of-the-barrel period in a nutshell.

I totally forgot that Violence Jack had a UK release. I bet it was cut to ribbons.

I totally forgot that Violence Jack had a UK release. I bet it was cut to ribbons.
Yep the UK release was cut. The Discotek Media release is the best version, but it's not perfect either due to Japan banning the OVA I believe so picture quality is probably not perfect. The infamous episode that was cut in the UK is uncut in the Discotek release but still retains its mosaic I believe.

Seeing old manga DVDs + 18 rating gives me the shivers. It takes me back to a time where a subgroup of anime seemed like it was disgustingly violent for its own sake. I've seen some clips on YT for a couple of those and it never fails to make me squirm. I don't know if the industry was trying to prove it could be for adults too, but damn.

Flashbacks to manga trailers full of extreme gore cut to aggressive and unrelenting techno 😱

@WMD Jyu-oh-sei is actually decent, I've seen all of it on DVD and it was a solidly watchable sci-fi series with pretty animation and art from BONES. Particularly assuming you didn't pay much for it, I'd say it's worth watching once at least :) Vampire Wars I've heard is well animated though it's not really my kind of thing so I haven't actually seen it beyond trailers.

@João Gomes I actually have the Mad Capsule Markets album they used in a lot of those trailers, even though a lot of the anime weren't to my taste I though the music was cool XD I'm not big on ultraviolence myself but I like stuff like the original Vampire Hunter D OVA and think Manga's dub for that is fantastic. I loved Cyber City Oedo 808 as well :)

Back