UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

sounds like a reasonable estimate. Both shows are 26 episodes long and while Evangelion has also two movies in it, it probably wont include any CD discs as bebop did.

the only problem is that Cowboy Bebop UE was £300, according to what I see on the internet... That's way more expensive than majority of users in this thread hope for
well if it is in line with Bebop, I won't be buying, I own no UE's yet and was hoping that may change, if it is that expensive, no chance.

Not seen Eva? Shame! Shame! Shame!
I have dishonoured 🙇‍♀️ I shall repent with a marathon once I possibly get my hands on the home release 👀

Don't worry, you're not alone - I've only seen the 1.0 and 2.0 movies 😅
Same here + 3.0 ( ´◡‿ゝ◡`)

I've never watched any Evangelion stuff yet (and I haven't seen any Gundam stuff either 😜 ), so you're not alone, I swear there are dozens of us! Dozens!
I own quite a few Gundam BD sets myself but haven't even touched it yet. Besides a little bit of Iron Blooded Orphans.

I can never motivate myself to delve into the Mecha genre and has always remained backlogged.

Polish_20210812_210148932.jpg

I honestly have no idea whether this is something I'd be into or not, but I'm pretty sure the price is going to rule out a blind buy for me, so I'll probably try watching the 1st couple episodes before the early bird ends to see if I'm interested.
That's a big 🧠 move there and something I should consider as well before the EB ends or even before the pre-orders start (possible sellout?)

That sucks

I don't really understand what the issue is with the song; if it was included on previous releases, then I would have thought that the licence still applied. I thought the problem with the Netflix release was that because it was a new dub then they would have had to licence it again, but that wouldn't apply to using the ADV dub or the original Japanese so....maybe someone else can chime in with more insight.

if it is that expensive, no chance
Same; I think they need to price it carefully - considering that Netflix has all episodes + movies and considering that Netflix made a new dub specifically for this, it's easy to assume that Evangelion isn't going anywhere from there anytime soon
I don't really understand what the issue is with the song
Yeah, weird stuff. I would rather buy a regular BD with Fly Me to the Moon than some overpriced Ultimate Edition with pins and postcards. As for your question regarding ADV dub, it still wasn't confirmed that new release uses it. maybe there will be a new dub. maybe even Netflix dub (although unlikely)

Last edited:
Same; I think they need to price it carefully - considering that Netflix has all episodes + movies and considering that Netflix made a new dub specifically for this, it's easy to assume that Evangelion isn't going anywhere from there anytime soon

Yeah, weird stuff. I would rather buy a regular BD with Fly Me to the Moon than some overpriced Ultimate Edition with pins and postcards. As for your question regarding ADV dub, it still wasn't confirmed that new release uses it. maybe there will be a new dub. maybe even Netflix dub (although unlikely)
I own Eva on DVD an old ADV set, so no real need to spend a huge amount for a BD upgrade, with or without the proper ending theme or ADV dub.
I don't really have to but I wouldn't mind an upgrade, just not at any price, I'll probably wait for a CE/SE

I have dishonoured 🙇‍♀️ I shall repent with a marathon once I possibly get my hands on the home release 👀

I am not a die-hard Eva fan or anything, but I watched it and enjoyed it, which is unusual as I don't normally like older anime that much.

It has it's fair share of problems, but it was clearly a product of it's time. I'd put it out there as something every anime fan should at least watch/try at least once in their lifetime.

I felt the EoE film was necessary to closing out the series properly, without it the ending is lacking.

@Neil.T what do you think? i remember you mentioning that Khara insisted on some changes in Netflix dub or something like that
To me, personally, it seems quite obvious that it'll be only the Netflix dub that Khara will have mandated for inclusion. It's usual in contracts between Japanese licensors and overseas distributors that any dub produced by those distributors becomes the intellectual property of the licensor. So, basically, even if Netflix paid to dub Evangelion into English, Khara will be the owner of it.

Given that Khara are clearly very fussy about how Eva is presented, they'll surely want the most recent version with the Khara-approved script to be the dub included on an English-language release.

That's my firmly held view, and I'll be surprised if it transpires otherwise.

It's kind of sad that AL are offering absolutely no clarification as to the release structure, dub or pricing, etc, despite the huge amount of genuine inquiries on facebook, etc. Perhaps the co-release with GKIDS or licensing stipulations with Khara means they have to keep hush on these things, but it's honestly a trend I've noticed going on for a while now, where their social media posts largely consist of the same automated advertisements & faux-engagement questions that you encounter with every faceless pr bot , while offering barely any actual communication with the people replying.

I mean it was their decision to do a public countdown: is it going to end in an immediate backlash because people weren't told until the checkout line that this was not the product or price they wanted? Who the hell knows. Maybe people will be happily surprised in the end, but it wouldn't make the process of blindly waiting any more pleasant to experience. There's a key difference between revealing what the packaging, extras etc. look like and whether it's going to include a fundamentally vital component to people's adoration with the show.

I mean I can see why anyone becoming jaded over time & start viewing it as a thankless task, but I feel there's a difference between learning to ignore all the constant minor gripes that emerge from niche corners like this one and being as remote on public social accounts designed for communication.

Maybe it's unfair to still treat AL as the oddball little start up it once was, but I still miss the days when the staff were genuinely eager to talk with commentators in a general sense rather than just occasionally clarifying their purchasing choices. At least they have their excellent write-ups between the churn.

Last edited:
So, basically, even if Netflix paid to dub Evangelion into English, Khara will be the owner of it.
Insane.

So basically all of this means that Khara is OK with exclusion of Fly Me to the Moon? I used to think that Netflix is the one who couldnt get the rights on that song, but now I think that Khara is the one struggling with it

My personal favourite is the TV Spot for End of Eva which is batshit insane and has to be included
Bloody hell, I somehow missed this altogether. How's that for an inside look of a nervous breakdown in progress...
Packaging is an interesting one but I reckon they might go for a Gundam style route where it's using Amaray cases and rigid boxes plus an outer box to house them all.
No chance of that dreamy Japanese CE packaging unfortunately...
Dude, don't even joke about putting EVA and amaray in the same sentence,
Heheh couldn't agree more but their recent trend with releases is not particularly promising in that regard...
Hoping for amarays just to see people get big mad :p
That's just plain mean!
Not gonna lie but I feel like I'm the only one in this universe (Anime viewer) who hasn't even watched the original EVA as of present.
!!!! You young-uns have a classic to look forward to then heh.

Back