UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Yeah the Eureka 7 set is lovely, though I do still wish the external branded packaging was a bit nicer than a disposable postal package, seeing as I would never chuck that. However the rest of the packaging on that is lovely and fits on the shelf!

Hopping back in folks! Been busy++ so not been able to check in as much - but figured I'd surface briefly to catch up as much as I can - apologies if I miss stuff.

Eureka Seven and Wolf's Rain Ultimate's were during a phase of me investigating formats that work. In that case the concept had been offering ways to put artbooks with your other artbooks, the homevideo part with your other homevideo releases. The disposable postal package was exactly meant to be that, but the nice design of them foiled that somewhat as I can see why folks didn't want to get rid of them!

If you're wondering where that train of thought went (as I love our Wolf's Rain and Eureka Seven's artbooks dearly) and branched full sized art book releases to more like Perfect Blue & B the Beginning.

- Andrew

But in December they announced them all before and let us plan. Why are they being worse that’s what is confusing. Why did they set a method in December, 8 months later ignore it and make it worse it’s confusing.

We're always adjusting how we do the ones outside of Christmas time (this was the first one we did with new product launches like this in a non-festive sale). Tweaks are made based on feedback both external and internal going forwards too so you can rest assured we've paid attention to what folks are saying for future sales :).

Not a big surprise too but the Christmas sale (while a few months away) will follow a similar format this year, so you can expect something similar from us all in the run-up to the sale this year to!

- Andrew

It's kind of sad that AL are offering absolutely no clarification as to the release structure, dub or pricing, etc, despite the huge amount of genuine inquiries on facebook, etc. Perhaps the co-release with GKIDS or licensing stipulations with Khara means they have to keep hush on these things, but it's honestly a trend I've noticed going on for a while now, where their social media posts largely consist of the same automated advertisements & faux-engagement questions that you encounter with every faceless pr bot , while offering barely any actual communication with the people replying.

I mean it was their decision to do a public countdown: is it going to end in an immediate backlash because people weren't told until the checkout line that this was not the product or price they wanted? Who the hell knows. Maybe people will be happily surprised in the end, but it wouldn't make the process of blindly waiting any more pleasant to experience. There's a key difference between revealing what the packaging, extras etc. look like and whether it's going to include a fundamentally vital component to people's adoration with the show.

I mean I can see why anyone becoming jaded over time & start viewing it as a thankless task, but I feel there's a difference between learning to ignore all the constant minor gripes that emerge from niche corners like this one and being as remote on public social accounts designed for communication.

Maybe it's unfair to still treat AL as the oddball little start up it once was, but I still miss the days when the staff were genuinely eager to talk with commentators in a general sense rather than just occasionally clarifying their purchasing choices. At least they have their excellent write-ups between the churn.
Hey, wanted to let you know that we very much hear folks re: communication about our upcoming Evangelion release. This is the challenge inherent in an announcement of an announcement, and while it's not how we normally would do things, this is a joint release across three continents and for a very beloved title that necessitates information to be shared in very specific ways.

I'm personally excited to answer all the questions you may still have on the 19th, and you should expect our responsiveness across social to be much more back to what you're used to then.

- Andrew

Hey, wanted to let you know that we very much hear folks re: communication about our upcoming Evangelion release. This is the challenge inherent in an announcement of an announcement, and while it's not how we normally would do things, this is a joint release across three continents and for a very beloved title that necessitates information to be shared in very specific ways.

I'm personally excited to answer all the questions you may still have on the 19th, and you should expect our responsiveness across social to be much more back to what you're used to then.

- Andrew
Quick question about the evangelion pre-order if you are allowed to answer. Will it be a limited print run or are you going to copy Italy where it's on demand based on pre-orders. Only asking because I get paid the week after the pre-orders go up on the tuesday.

Is Evangelion preorders going to be live on Thursday then or is it just the announcement of the product and telling us when the preorders go live. As the site says get an email for when preorders launch not that when that countdown ends preorders begin…

- Andrew
A random question for you, what are your thoughts on the very unique main menu for The End of Evangelion on DVD?

I think Blu-rays can't replicate it but it would have been really cool to have something similar.

It must clearly be a countdown to giving us some information on the release itself because...
Yeah my guess is that it's going to be handled similarly to Utena.

i.e. Thursday 19th May 5pm is the official details of the Ultimate Edition release
then Friday 20th May 5pm will be the start of the pre-orders being made available.

Everyone has already manned their stations preparing for the pre-orders anyway 🤷‍♂️
by stations i.e. mugs.

Evangelion_Shinji_Mug_1.jpg

A random question for you, what are your thoughts on the very unique main menu for The End of Evangelion on DVD?

I think Blu-rays can't replicate it but it would have been really cool to have something similar.

Personally I think Manga UK's dvd menu & their original trailer for End Of are probably the greatest Eva-related things to ever come out the west. I imagine the chance to be able to re-use then as extras is pretty low, but I do love to occasionally dust off my old dvds & just soak in their atmosphere

Quick question about the evangelion pre-order if you are allowed to answer. Will it be a limited print run or are you going to copy Italy where it's on demand based on pre-orders. Only asking because I get paid the week after the pre-orders go up on the tuesday.

In my entire history of making Ultimate Editions - we've never had one that sold out before release date. This is helped by when planning the quantities for these editions, we always prefer to round up than round down especially with the well loved titles. Even when faced with extremely high demand for some of those Ultimate's, we always had units available on release day for purchase. I strongly believe this will follow that trend.

Looking forward to being around on the 19th to dig into more questions!

- Andrew

2.0 and 3.0 never got a Blu-ray release. That designation refers to the theatrical version. The Blu-ray versions are designated 2.22 and 3.33 (or 3.333 if you consider the recent reissue).

And yeah all entries count as separate licenses. If Funimation still holds the license then Anime Limited won't be able to release them
Yeah but they are still out of print. Can't find 2.22 anywhere. Only 3.33 is available.

In my entire history of making Ultimate Editions - we've never had one that sold out before release date. This is helped by when planning the quantities for these editions, we always prefer to round up than round down especially with the well loved titles. Even when faced with extremely high demand for some of those Ultimate's, we always had units available on release day for purchase. I strongly believe this will follow that trend.

Looking forward to being around on the 19th to dig into more questions!

- Andrew
Thank you for replying Andrew :)

My goodness dude you keep coming up with some EoE gold for me. Just had to crack open my manga dvd to confirm that I very sadly, definitely do not have the same unique main menu.... Same lovely classical music though. Why? Why does my copy not also have this menu?!?!

Back