Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Since technically it's 'Anime' in a 'Disc' format (I might be stretching this definition a bit).

Has anyone had any issues with their copy of Evangelion Finally? My pressing seems dire, large and frequent distortions (plays out as a hiss) on disc one. Record itself doesn't look particularly warped, player is fine as I've tried it with various other stuff.
I didn't hear anything when I went through side A but the setup I was using was a bit of a hack job, and I did do a recording at the same time (thank you GPO PR50 and your ability to record to USB) but I'm unlikely to be able to notice any issues due to the added background noise from the compression on the recording.

I didn't hear anything when I went through side A but the setup I was using was a bit of a hack job, and I did do a recording at the same time (thank you GPO PR50 and your ability to record to USB) but I'm unlikely to be able to notice any issues due to the added background noise from the compression on the recording.
Thanks for checking! I may have picked up another variant in the meantime, and that plays fine, so seems I was just unlucky and got a mispress!

Since technically it's 'Anime' in a 'Disc' format (I might be stretching this definition a bit).

Has anyone had any issues with their copy of Evangelion Finally? My pressing seems dire, large and frequent distortions (plays out as a hiss) on disc one. Record itself doesn't look particularly warped, player is fine as I've tried it with various other stuff.
Mine also had similar issues on the first disc. May have just been a bad batch

Anime Limited's 4K release of Your Name is lacking the Japanese Audio w/English songs audio track. Very disappointing considering they clearly had the space as they shoved the French dub on there in DTS-HD MA, a dub that doesn't even bother translating the songs.

ok so I just finished reviewing the MVM Accel World Blu Ray collection from 2020, bought when it released, Accel World Collection [Blu-ray] [2020] and these were my findings:

- the subtitles in general are very lacking, done in an amateur style, both as in placement for signs, most of the time just placed center up, or not even present at all for a lot of signs, and in the quality of translation, one example is Episode 13 where a character says "Mada" and is translated as "Wait" when it should be "Not Yet", for Wait, it's "Matte", Mada/Matte sounds similar in Japanese, clear rookie mistake, not the only one, I would say a lot of the context of the conversations is lost in this translation, not to even mention how the names are handled.... it is a very, very rushed and basic translation and formatting job

also related to subs, Episode 13 has an error in the sub file that causes the episode to end with a few seconds black image and a top left errory image

one more thing to note for the subs, not an MVM issue, I believe it's from the Japanese source, but the hard English used for the various interfaces in the anime is horrible, like having a day count starting with "Day 1th, Day 2th, Day 3th", or very bad comprehension in sentences

- the audio, audio has no glitches, it's synced well, but the overall loudness is lower than the US release I believe

- the visuals, overall good, some episodes have very few scenes where in parts of the image the bitrate seems to go way down, when CGI is used there is some flickering present in rare scenes, BUT, one big problem is in the last episode, Episode 24, where there's a noticeable image glitch for a couple frames glitchy frame 1 , glitchy frame 2

everything above is present in the individual release of the MVM Accel World Blu Ray Volume 2 which contains Episode 13-24, bought it and confirmed it myself Accel World Pt 2 [Blu-ray] , so it looks like these are errors that were present since day one on the first disc release and they were never corrected by MVM on the 2nd disc release for the collection

I can't confirm it, but as far as I know, the audio lower loudness, Episode 13 sub file error that causes the ending glitch and Episode 24 video glitches are NOT present in the US Viz Blu Ray release

Last edited:
when in subs they use their actual names, "Kuroyukihime", but let me guess, this is a nitpick too since the character is the Senpai right?
This list would probably have to include nearly every title if you're going to start including translations. I find it a bit weird when they do this, but equally we don't have an equivalent in English for the way Japanese address each other, so I find it equally weird when you see "big sister", etc. Probably should just leave the Japanese in there, the vast majority of anime fans know what they mean.

This list would probably have to include nearly every title if you're going to start including translations. I find it a bit weird when they do this, but equally we don't have an equivalent in English for the way Japanese address each other, so I find it equally weird when you see "big sister", etc. Probably should just leave the Japanese in there, the vast majority of anime fans know what they mean.
yeah I don't consider the translations to be "defective", I just added my thoughts since I was going to point out the actual problems with the visual glitches in EP 13/24 and the audio loudness difference, so might as well point out that the translations are lacking too, the biggest problem with the translations for this one though is that the cast has a variety of characters, like friendly/serious/casual/professional which express themselves slightly differently but this doesn't come through the subtitles at all, and for that example in particular, it is made a point in the anime that the guy is too shy to call the girl by her name, so he uses Senpai, and is working his way up to calling her Kuroyuki, till he can use her actual name, the subs completely ignore that, that's why I mentioned it

ok so I just finished reviewing the MVM Accel World Blu Ray collection from 2020, bought when it released, Accel World Collection [Blu-ray] [2020] and these were my findings:

- the subtitles in general are very lacking, done in an amateur style, both as in placement for signs, most of the time just placed center up, or not even present at all for a lot of signs, and in the quality of translation, one example is Episode 13 where a character says "Mada" and is translated as "Wait" when it should be "Not Yet", for Wait, it's "Matte", Mada/Matte sounds similar in Japanese, clear rookie mistake, not the only one, I would say a lot of the context of the conversations is lost in this translation, not to even mention how the names are handled.... it is a very, very rushed and basic translation and formatting job

also related to subs, Episode 13 has an error in the sub file that causes the episode to end with a few seconds black image and a top left errory image

one more thing to note for the subs, not an MVM issue, I believe it's from the Japanese source, but the hard English used for the various interfaces in the anime is horrible, like having a day count starting with "Day 1th, Day 2th, Day 3th", or very bad comprehension in sentences

- the audio, audio has no glitches, it's synced well, but the overall loudness is lower than the US release I believe

- the visuals, overall good, some episodes have very few scenes where in parts of the image the bitrate seems to go way down, when CGI is used there is some flickering present in rare scenes, BUT, one big problem is in the last episode, Episode 24, where there's a noticeable image glitch for a couple frames glitchy frame 1 , glitchy frame 2

everything above is present in the individual release of the MVM Accel World Blu Ray Volume 2 which contains Episode 13-24, bought it and confirmed it myself Accel World Pt 2 [Blu-ray] , so it looks like these are errors that were present since day one on the first disc release and they were never corrected by MVM on the 2nd disc release for the collection

I can't confirm it, but as far as I know, the audio lower loudness, Episode 13 sub file error that causes the ending glitch and Episode 24 video glitches are NOT present in the US Viz Blu Ray release
ok, so update to this, I got the Viz US Blu-Rays Set 1 and 2 and checked to see if the errors are present, the results were very surprising

apparently the UK version is a copy of the AU Hanabee version, so this applies for both, but I'll refer to it as the UK MVM version as that's the one I have and speak for both

1. the visual glitch in a couple frames in ep 24 is not present in the US Viz version
2. the sub file error in ep 13 is not present in the US Viz version
3. the audio is way higher quality and louder in the US Viz release
4. on average, episodes are 1 GB bigger in the Viz US version than UK MVM

so this is nice and well, all my complaints resolved, but I was shocked to discover the DRASTIC difference in colors in some areas, the Viz US version is so much better, I can't even believe how they made it look so bad in the UK MVM version, it's day and night, examples in the IMGUR album

It's apparently well known that card sleeves disc holders scratch discs, already saw people complaining about the DBZ 30th Anniversary box, Godzilla Criterion Collection, well now there's K-On! Some of my discs are scratched, and the set happens to have the discs in card sleeves instead of in proper plastic disc holders. We should have gotten a proper case!!!

Ignore all that stuff, the discs aren't scratched, they're just not compatible with multiple player brands so the video glitches only happen on LG and Sony players including PS5s.

Last edited:
Made in Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul has audio glitches on the Japanese audio at 29:29 and 88:32. Noticed on a Panasonic Home Cinema. Mentioned as the TV series discs had similar glitches that turned out to be player specific.

Made in Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul has audio glitches on the Japanese audio at 29:29 and 88:32. Noticed on a Panasonic Home Cinema. Mentioned as the TV series discs had similar glitches that turned out to be player specific.
Never noticed anything when watching on my PS4 so might be player specific again.

I dunno if this applies to the UK release, but my French Beez BD of Sword of the Stranger has died. The FR BD was replicated by MPO, so it's probably one of those French discs that was manufactured with bad resin.

Mastering SID Code: IFPI LZ21
Mould SID Code: IFPI 128A

I dunno if this applies to the UK release, but my French Beez BD of Sword of the Stranger has died. The FR BD was replicated by MPO, so it's probably one of those French discs that was manufactured with bad resin.

Mastering SID Code: IFPI LZ21
Mould SID Code: IFPI 128A

Happened to me a while back with the UK Beez release…

Post in thread 'In Memoriam: When DVDs become coasters'
https://forums.animeuknews.net/threads/in-memoriam-when-dvds-become-coasters.19291/post-601134

Back