The Football Thread

Saw the England game last and they were excellent and Jordan Henderson actually scored
If they play like that - which they should anyway they will play imo Italy in final - Spain ? Be surprised
But....sorry to be a downer England wont win the Euros / hope im proved wrong

Furious with Southgates management this game. He wanted to sit back and defend for 80 mins, brings on Henderson when you need a goal, let’s Mount who did jack **** all tournament play the full 90 and then let’s a 19 yr old take the 5th penalty?? Where were the senior players stepping up? Where was Sterling and Grealish? Making two subs specifically for pens for both of them to miss as well?
Absolute joke.
I really feel for Pickford too. Saving two penalties and it still not being enough.
England and penalties are just not compatible.

Last edited:
The way the England fans boo national anthems, cause havoc in the streets, try breaking into the stadium, shine lasers into goal keepers eyes and say racist stuff towards players is a great example why I've always hated football.

Not much has changed over the ???~odd years it seems... total lack of sportsmanship

I'll still support Chelsea FCW as it was fun watching the WSL

Last edited:
The way the England fans boo national anthems, cause havoc in the streets, try breaking into the stadium, shine lasers into goal keepers eyes and say racist stuff towards players is a great example why I've always hated football.
If I were to base my enjoyment of anything on the behaviour of the fans of that thing there wouldn’t be a whole lot left for me to enjoy, starting with fans of “being alive”.

England did incredibly well to even get to the final, and they took away a well-deserved silver medal which reflected their performance, the best in 55 years. Italy were, for most of that final match, the better team and for people to blame one or two players for failing to score penalties is just petty. That those players are receiving abuse for it is very sad and I would much rather it wasn’t happening, but I doubt the human desires to live vicariously and look for people to blame are going to disappear any time soon.

Exactly because it’s about time we had some luck
Furious with Southgates management this game. He wanted to sit back and defend for 80 mins, brings on Henderson when you need a goal, let’s Mount who did jack **** all tournament play the full 90 and then let’s a 19 yr old take the 5th penalty?? Where were the senior players stepping up? Where was Sterling and Grealish? Making two subs specifically for pens for both of them to miss as well?
Absolute joke.
I really feel for Pickford too. Saving two penalties and it still not being enough.
England and penalties are just not compatible.
I agree - Jack Grealish should of came on in the second half straight away really and Rashford & Sancho coming on with about 2 mins left of extra time and they hardly kicked the ball was mad - imo Rashford should of came on earlier & though a lifelong Man Utd fan & yes Sancho hasn’t played for them yet but I’m not a great fan and he’s not worth £80m plus
But...the racist crap which unfortunately was expected has no lace in our society
This right wing government led by an upper class old Etonian snob are not going to do anything about banning racist trolls etc on social networks
- if they are serious about it they would of taken action last year but never

But...the racist crap which unfortunately was expected has no lace in our society
This right wing government led by an upper class old Etonian snob are not going to do anything about banning racist trolls etc on social networks
- if they are serious about it they would of taken action last year
I think the best thing people can do (and are overwhelmingly doing) is to counter that abuse with positive and supportive statements. The social media platforms have the power to ban users, and hate crime laws (while I might not personally agree with them where they only involve use of language) already exist as a means of redress for anyone who is being abused.

I am noticing the steady flow of articles in the press about how awful this is with a definite undercurrent of “something must be done, restrict people’s freedom of expression further please, government” and given that’s something the government have already made clear they’d love to do, it’s the last thing I want to see happen. Personally, I think it’s better knowing who the racists are than forcing them into silence and underground but it depends what people value more - The opportunity to confront and perhaps change the minds of people with opposing views, or for them to just be silenced so no-one has to see it or feel bad, but for their views to go unchallenged once they, as Boris put it “crawl back under their rock”. Hidden, yes. But also safe from criticism. Better to have these discussions in the open where it can be made clear that plenty of people disagree and are willing to stand up to them than allowing these views to fester in the dark, where resentment that they are being persecuted and the likelihood of them simply doubling down can only grow.

Last edited:
I think the best thing people can do (and are overwhelmingly doing) is to counter that abuse with positive and supportive statements. The social media platforms have the power to ban users, and hate crime laws (while I might not personally agree with them where they only involve use of language) already exist as a means of redress for anyone who is being abused.

I am noticing the steady flow of articles in the press about how awful this is with a definite undercurrent of “something must be done, restrict people’s freedom of expression further please, government” and given that’s something the government have already made clear they’d love to do, it’s the last thing I want to see happen. Personally, I think it’s better knowing who the racists are than forcing them into silence and underground but it depends what people value more - The opportunity to confront and perhaps change the minds of people with opposing views, or for them to just be silenced so no-one has to see it or feel bad, but for their views to go unchallenged once they, as Boris put it “crawl back under their rock”. Hidden, yes. But also safe from criticism. Better to have these discussions in the open where it can be made clear that plenty of people disagree and are willing to stand up to them than allowing these views to fester in the dark, where resentment that they are being persecuted and the likelihood of them simply doubling down can only grow.
Trouble is that like all subjects whatever it is - racism unfortunately is here to stay & it’s been around as everybody knows for hundreds of years
Social networks are doing damn all to fight racism and this government are postponing the banning of disgusting treatment of people on these sites via Twitter/ Facebook etc for another two years when they could of taken action last year
This was talked about on Good Morning tv - not the right wing channel..,,,,

Not much has changed over the ???~odd years it seems... total lack of sportsmanship

I'll still support Chelsea FCW as it was fun watching the WSL
The best part of football(besides the game) is the banter between fans of different teams. It was kinda funny seeing Chelsea fans singing about how 'great'(gag) their team is after the game(which they won) and having Leicester fans say some er, 'nice' things back. Nothing too bad but its just the kind of banter stuff you see in the game. Good spirits all around as they went back to the train station.

Back