Don't go to pieces! Land of the Lustrous simulwatch (completed)

Episode 6

Interesting epsiode. Nice to see more of Gems and to get more sense to their ages and how long some of them have been going through the motions of their lifestyle. It's interesting that they can be close but at the same time wonder why one would deliberately take a hit for them.

I actually like that the story goes in the direction that just because you get a power up doesnt mean you're suddenly able to do anything. Phos is so obsessed with guard duty and being on high alert that when the time comes they miss the Lunarians arrival. Amethyst on the other seems to be goofing off but is immediately on it and ready to fight when the times comes. Not that it helps them much in the end. The Gems are so used to the status quo that even when the recognise something is up they dont seem to have the imagination to be suspicious. Bort seems to be the only one truly on high alert.

And poor Phos. A deer trapped in headlights. The moment she had the chance to do what she wanted, fight, and with super speed legs she freezes. And Bort shows no sympathy whatsoever. That's got to sting!

Clearly the Master knows a lot more about this world then he's letting on. Smashing that table because he thought the secrets might be out! Is he a bit petulant or is he always holding back his strength and in emotional moments it just comes out?

Wasn't sure I picked up on this right from the Spanish: Was it Obsidian making the swords? Is that was they're made of?

this time it turns into something that resembles a Rorschach inkblot
Yeah, I got the same. Also, the snapping jaw/claw part couldn't help but remind me of the Eighth Angel from the film Evangelion 2.0, which has a somewhat plant-like appearance.

And related to that, my ever-observant girlfriend spotted that when the big Lunarian that contained that part was sliced open by the Amethyst twins, the inside rather resembled a lotus seed pod with its hollow cavities:
lotus-lily-seed-head-selena-wagner.jpg

She also felt that the colourful ribbons used by the Lunarians in episode 5 to tie Phos up resembled either Tibetan prayer flags...
Ethical_cotton_Tibetan_Prayer_Flags_for_sale_australia_from_Nepal.jpg
... or perhaps even the Buddhist flag, having somewhat similar colours:
buddhist-flag.jpg

Sensei saying, "Poor thing" is interesting. Since it was singular, he seemed to be referring to the lunarian, but I believe Japanese doesn't always allow for singular/plural distinctions, so I don't know if that was an arbitrary translation choice.
It sounds to me as if he's saying awarenai. It's not an adjective that I'm familiar with, so I had to look it up. It doesn't appear to be that widely recognised, but I found this page...
... which offers the translation "to have an accident; to have a bad experience".

Incidentally, the subs on MVM's BD give Sensei's line as "How sad". Are you watching on Hidive, Dai?

You're right about Japanese not always having clear singular/plural distinction, but there are specific cases.

Wasn't sure I picked up on this right from the Spanish: Was it Obsidian making the swords? Is that was they're made of?
It was Obsidian who was making the swords, yeah. It wasn't actually specified what they were made from, but it could well be obsidian also. My girlfriend gets the credit again for finding this on Wikipedia:
Obsidian is hard, brittle, and amorphous; it therefore fractures with sharp edges. In the past, it was used to manufacture cutting and piercing tools, and it has been used experimentally as surgical scalpel blades.

It has a hardness of five to six out of 10 on the Mohs scale.

It was Obsidian who was making the swords, yeah. It wasn't actually specified what they were made from, but it could well be obsidian also. My girlfriend gets the credit again for finding this on Wikipedia:
Obsidian is hard, brittle, and amorphous; it therefore fractures with sharp edges. In the past, it was used to manufacture cutting and piercing tools, and it has been used experimentally as surgical scalpel blades.
It has a hardness of five to six out of 10 on the Mohs scale
Cool. It makes sense that they are then given theyre black and what we saw of them in the episode where Diamond tried out her new technique with the way they chipped.

First time viewer! Episode 6!

How are we at episode 6 already? time really does fly. Is it Friday yet?

So new fact, Zircon seemed unconscious when not connected to their body. I mentioned previously how the body seemed to act as a mind for memories, but without the head connected to the body, it seems the gem people can't operate at all.

Yellow diamond is also +3400~ years old and is the oldest of them all, I wonder how old the master is given he probaably had a hand in the creation of the earliest gem people. Yellow diamond may be the oldest one alive, but it does not mean they were the earliest one to exist (see: list of gems taken to the moon whilst working with Yellow Diamond).

Watching Phos struggle with the weight of the lightest sword was funny!

Master Adamant is definitely hiding something to do with the humans, as soon as that word was mentioned his entire façade changed, and he cracked the table in two. Later we see that the table is totally broken.

Amethyst reminds me a lot of Rom & Rem from RE:Zero, they are working together to antagonise Phos under the guise of helping him.

The Amethyst twins seem to be trying their best to put Phos off track on trying to work with them. I strongly felt like this job was not the right one for Phos, and he will wind up working with Cinnabar somehow instead.

I mentioned before but the gems don't seem to be very communal, the Amethyst twins had to introduce themselves to Phos despite living for hundreds of years, and there only being 28 gems.

The arrival of the Lunarians was somewhat expected, but I think this is the biggest Lunarian force we've seen so far. The pattern they seemed to produce on entry was a bit like the inkblots you see on those psychology tests.

Bort blamed Phos for their inaction to help the Amethyst twins, but I got the impression that Phos is not cut out for this job a while ago, and Phos' inaction was partially out of exhaustion, and partially out of being out of their depth. Akin to throwing a soldier with no training into battle.

The outcome to the Amethyst twins would have been the same, with or without Phos being present.

Side Notes:
  • The gem people memories are stored in their bodies, but Yellow Diamond seems to have forgotten why they are even fighting.
  • Can gem people gain muscle strength? Phos said they'd train with the sword, but even holding it up seemed to be a challenge. Can Phos improve at this without some form of body modification?
  • How do the gem people forecast the arrival of the Lunarians much like the weather. % chance to appear? What is this based on?
  • What do the Lunarians arrive on? towards the end of the episode Bort apologised to the transport before taking it out. Seems like the transport is a living entity of some kind.

Last edited:
Incidentally, the subs on MVM's BD give Sensei's line as "How sad". Are you watching on Hidive, Dai?
I'm watching the MVM blu-ray too, just the English dub. I'm not a bad enough dude to watch it in raw Spanish. Well, I have watched all 200 episodes of Sailor Moon in German, but that was because it was the only available option at the time.

Episode 6: First Battle

Phos takes on lookout duty with a pair of twins who seem less than enamoured to have the help, and when the danger comes along those speedy new legs aren’t all that useful. The cliffhanger here is nicely done as well.

Episode 6
Really nice episode, but quite brutal on Phos. Gaining a new and unexplained power didn't result in Phos suddenly becoming the strongest fighter of them all. Instead, it painfully painted how weak she still is. Not being able to wield even the lightest blade and lacking in fighting experience.

Seeing that the patrols can often be uneventful and sometimes entail small errands, makes it less strange for Phos to be sent out. I don't think the master really envisioned her battling, but her speed could be of some use. For example, when encountering a sunspot she could rush back to inform the others.

This makes it all the more painful what transpired. Even without Phos there the outcome would likely have been the same. But at this point she is confronted with her shortcomings. First off, she didn't seem to take patrolling all too serious, and was quite literally sitting back on the third day (granted it is likely very taxing on her). Secondly when the combat commences she is unable to contribute in a meaningful way. Thirdly, she is unable to act at all. Her speed would've allowed her to get help as quick as possible, but instead she sits there frozen, while others like Bort and the master act swiftly.

Not sure where that leaves Phos' self-esteem. She already seemed troubled by not being able to fulfil the promise to Cinnabar, but now she might blame herself for the events that took place.

Sensei saying, "Poor thing" is interesting. Since it was singular, he seemed to be referring to the lunarian, but I believe Japanese doesn't always allow for singular/plural distinctions, so I don't know if that was an arbitrary translation choice.
The sub on Hidive translated it as "You poor thing..." which also led me to believe he was referring to the Lunarian(s?). Part of it was also due to the context and his action that immediately followed, so even if it was meant plural, I'd probably still think it refers to the sunspot.

While the Master is generally quite stoic, he does clearly show his anger. But unless I'm misremembering things, he never seems to really show anger/hatred towards the Lunarians. I still can't figure out what the deal is with the Master, but he probably knows the true nature of things and his goals must be related to it in some way. Could it be that he might actually aim to rejoin the three parts whereas the Lunarians try to be the sole remaining party? The scene where he reacts to the word "humans" was nicely done, especially the table being completely split when Phos looked back.

One thing that I noticed is that Yellow Diamond states that she doesn't really remember why they are even fighting in the first place. Yet at the same time seems taken aback by Phos' reason for wanting to fight. While in the end she does agree with the statement, it leads me to believe that she at the very least does know the actual reason for her (and likely many others up until that point) was different.

• The gem people memories are stored in their bodies, but Yellow Diamond seems to have forgotten why they are even fighting.
  • Can gem people gain muscle strength? Phos said they'd train with the sword, but even holding it up seemed to be a challenge. Can Phos improve at this without some form of body modification?
  • How do the gem people forecast the arrival of the Lunarians much like the weather. % chance to appear? What is this based on?
What a coincidence! I've literally jotted down these exact same points while watching the episode, namely "no perfect memory?", "training to improve technique or build strength(?)" and "11.4% how do they know?".

So while I don't have the answers, my guess is that Phos might be able to work on her technique instead of actually building strength. And for the forecast I recall from an earlier episode they mentioned something about once every three sunny days. Having the historical data of when and where they appear together with weather forecasts might be the answer. Though the exact percentage seem to imply quite a sophisticated way of calculating it, which I find unlikely given what we've seen thus far.

Masters reaction to the mention of humans suggests to me he might be one of the oldest beings in this world. Old enough to remember them somehow or to know the origins of the new races at least. Perhapes he is aware of the multi-moon situation mentioned previously? I think it's kind of implied that maybe he had a hand in creating the gem people to a degree as well. Otherwise I wonder what his relationship to them is beyond the master/pupil dynamic?

Yes I very much feel is must be at least the age of Yellow Diamond, quite possibly a lot older!

Episode 6
We finally find out why Phos wants to fight despite her frailty: everyone loves Sensei. Could he be the first guy to have a harem lasting over 2,000 years?

I love this! the oldest harem ever! 🤣

Clearly the Master knows a lot more about this world then he's letting on. Smashing that table because he thought the secrets might be out! Is he a bit petulant or is he always holding back his strength and in emotional moments it just comes out?

To me the master has been suspect all this time, he's definitely hiding information. I think he knows why the attacks are going on.

And related to that, my ever-observant girlfriend spotted that when the big Lunarian that contained that part was sliced open by the Amethyst twins, the inside rather resembled a lotus seed pod with its hollow cavities:

She also felt that the colourful ribbons used by the Lunarians in episode 5 to tie Phos up resembled either Tibetan prayer flags...

... or perhaps even the Buddhist flag, having somewhat similar colours:

I think there is definitely some religious shenanigans going on, your gf gets a fist bump from me this time! :cool:🤜

What a coincidence! I've literally jotted down these exact same points while watching the episode, namely "no perfect memory?", "training to improve technique or build strength(?)" and "11.4% how do they know?".

So while I don't have the answers, my guess is that Phos might be able to work on her technique instead of actually building strength. And for the forecast I recall from an earlier episode they mentioned something about once every three sunny days. Having the historical data of when and where they appear together with weather forecasts might be the answer. Though the exact percentage seem to imply quite a sophisticated way of calculating it, which I find unlikely given what we've seen thus far.

It's little details and questions like these that I absolutely love seeing answers for in the next episodes to come!

However, why did they go with her wish of letting her brother regain consciousness? Did they not foresee what he could do?
Yeah I was wondering the exact thing whilst watching him happily escape and questioning their incompetence, but, maybe it was their plan all along for him to be freed for a purpose yet to be revealed...
Did the others experience how Phos came to be? How does that even work (just washing ashore as a baby rock... I don't think so)? Would it be possible to change your rock type by slowly replacing body parts (Ship of Theseus)? Are the memories tied to the "Inclusions" or really tied to the fragments? Are certain memories fixed in certain parts or can they move throughout the body? Is there significance in which memory resides where?
Yes exactly, very interesting questions posed on what actually constitutes the self/memory/soul/consciousness in the gems and as an extension, in humans - is one's soul just mineralogy/biology or something as yet unknown & ethereal? Is it linked to or in fact personality (but the latter can change with brain damage which implies biology)?
While the lunarians have always appeared out of symmetrical formations, it's interesting that this time it turns into something that resembles a Rorschach inkblot.
I wondered about what the show was trying to imply about their nature & goals with that reference.
The Amethyst twins didn't seem like the most reliable sempais at first (they're not metal, but they sure are head-bangers)
Can we please have a summarised best of/greatest hits of the comedy zingers from Lordhippos, Dai & everyone else when this simulcast ends please? Hilarious stuff heheh.
Can gem people gain muscle strength? Phos said they'd train with the sword, but even holding it up seemed to be a challenge. Can Phos improve at this without some form of body modification?
I assumed as much when the same night of receiving the sword, Phos seemed to be able to easily lift it up to observe it whilst lying in bed!
Could it be that he might actually aim to rejoin the three parts whereas the Lunarians try to be the sole remaining party? The scene where he reacts to the word "humans" was nicely done, especially the table being completely split when Phos looked back.
It does seem to be that Sensei is from ancient times and certainly aware of, if not having first hand witnessed, humans' past existence. But maybe his anger is directed directly at humans themselves, whom he hates? He therefore actually sympathises with all the new devolved species (like what he said before destroying the lunarians threat) and wants them to stay that way and in fact not rejoin into a true human form - thereby keeping the sea off limits for the gems, to avoid a discovery of the aquatic race (should any remnants have remained depending on what he knew of their fate; also what of the gem that octowaifu mentioned was in the sea? She implied being honest about that when admitting her ulterior motives to Phos); and perhaps keeping the lunarians at a distance by indoctrinating the gems into taking them as enemies and fighting them on sight (maybe yellow diamond's not being able to recall the reason for the fighting hints at
this?)
Episode 6 - Phos' reason for wanting to be on patrol is just so innocent, is that because of her personality or age?

View attachment 17505
View attachment 17506
Gorgeous concept art as always.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier was how much I like the light reflecting off the gems' hair on to their shoulders - beautiful touch methinks.

Lastly, I was more hopeful, and I guess I remain so still, that Phos' ultimate purpose will be more nuanced and in developing better understanding and communication between the humanoid offspring/species and that the role on the frontline is a distraction, and may be put to bed after Phos froze when needed, and not a move into the shonen category.

Right, now to get back to my attempts at bingeing as much Revolutionary Girl Utena as possible given that I've never seen it and just discovered it's leaving Amazon prime on 20/3 aaarrrggh!

Episode 5&6

Much as I am enjoying it, I often don't feel like I have a lot to say about the show on an episode-to-episode basis. It did catch my attention that the snail people knew exactly what to offer up to fix Phos's missing legs though. Phos receiving the new, more powerful legs also seems to mark them apart from the other gems in quite a conspicuous way. Going on Vladmir Propp's old academic text on analysing folk tales, this seems very much like the hero's brand, and would suggest that Phos will become the gems' hero in the end, but I suppose only time will tell if that's where they're going with it.

Episode 7 - The Phos Awakens

Phos feeling guilty over her fear of the Luminarians decides to help out in the winter patrol with Antarcticite (a rare mineral discovered in the 60's in Antartica according to Wikipedia).

We also get a name drop for the blue spikes which made up the Luminarian weapon last episode, Sapphire. Sapphires have a hardness rating of 9 and are just below diamonds in toughness. Makes you wonder what kind of power the Luminarians might have if they were able to break a sapphire.

We also get some more world building as we are introduced to sentient ice bergs which can communicate with both Phos and the Master. Going by how the episode ends I think I trust master when he say's they only speak to amplify your anxieties. They really get into Pho's head at the end there and they certainly aren't harmless either as they take her arms.

The Titanic sinkers have a lot of mystery around them, why does master call them sinners? What is their motivation for playing on Phos's mind and eating her arms? I don't think they have anything to do with the Luminarians so do they want to gather minerals for their own purpose maybe?

I like Antarcticite, she is a social recluse sure which is understandable since she is only around when the other gems are hybernating. But she is also probably the only one who has actually given time to help mentor Phos in any capacity besides Master.

Episode 7

Great change if pace this episode as we see a new side to the lives of the gems. Every winter they have a fancy pyjama party!

As @Vincentdante I really like that we see Antarticite actually help and mentor Phos. Even if they don't voice it it mist be really nice for them to have another gem around for the first time in their very long lives! It's also fun to see the different types of work they have to do from clearing snow to settling down the sleep walkers! Which is all very charming and makes the world feel even more lived in.

Then we come to the spooky icebergs! I really liked the mechanics of using spiked high heels to create fracture points so that the whole thing would come apart with a single well placed strike. It was a nice unique touch. Other than that everything else about the icebergs plays out like a horror film. It's very chilling (sorry) to say the least. And now Phos is once again down 2 appendages!

Finally I just want to say that the sound design in this episode is excellent. From the discordant scraping into screaming, the explosions and even the sound of Phos face planting her way through the snow. It's so good.

Episode 7: Hibernation

A nice little episode with a snowy aesthetic and some great moments of humour like Phos intruding upon a certain “yearly tradition”. Of course there’s another cliffhanger to try and entice me to watch more - something I recall doing when I initially watched the series and bingeing it all in one sitting.

Last edited:
Episode 7
The winter contingent of Sensei's eternal harem wakes up, and Phos goes against her nature by being the only one not to doze off. The highlight of this episode was Phos doing her Rod Reiss impression through the snow. This show has a knack for switching back and forth between funny and serious at a moment's notice without it becoming jarring, and this episode is both one of the funniest and most unsettling.

The ice floes clearly attended the Ramiel School of Screaming Geometrically. The creepy voices luring Phos into the water reminded me of the Dead Marshes from The Lord of the Rings; lost souls trying to drag others down because that's the only thing left that they can do.

And so Phos loses the last of her original limbs. She's probably now down to less than half of the memories from her 300-year life. If a gem's memories are diffused throughout their bodies, then what of their personalities? Are memories integral, or does the personality exist independently of them? At a certain point, would she cease to be Phos?

Back