Simulwatch Planning Thread - Suggest & Discuss

And so on and so forth, but yes, I miss Lagann!
Highly tempting! It’s been a long while since I watched GL.
A simulwatch would be the perfect excuse!
Just out of curiosity, guys... if we were to do a Gurren Lagann simulwatch at some point, would anyone be interested in including the two films and the Parallel Works short animations in it? I know that not everyone will have access to those, so...

Just out of curiosity, guys... if we were to do a Gurren Lagann simulwatch at some point, would anyone be interested in including the two films and the Parallel Works short animations in it? I know that not everyone will have access to those, so...

I have never watched parallel works, so absolutely. The films...I think I may have taken a look real quick, but apparently it makes significant additions to the ending, so I'm all for it. I've got the AL ultimate edition, so in my case it's not a problem, I hope the others have access to the extra stuff too!

I watched Gurren Lagann not too long ago but I would be up for watching the films and short animations

I have never watched parallel works, so absolutely. The films...I think I may have taken a look real quick, but apparently it makes significant additions to the ending, so I'm all for it.
Excellent. I'm excited about this. 💪🔥

The first film streamlines the story for film length by condensing the whole Four Generals arc into one battle royale, featuring new animation that includes a one-on-one, hand-to-hand combat sequence with Yōko! Some other scenes are very cleverly changed or even combined as well. I like it a lot.

The second film as you say makes some very significant changes to the actual story, in particular the final battle. I bloody love the second film, so I think you're in for a bit of a treat.

It's great to watch the films after the series so you can get to compare stuff, too.

I've got the AL ultimate edition, so in my case it's not a problem, I hope the others have access to the extra stuff too!
Very nice. I've got the later Collector's Edition, which has the same discs as your Ultimate.

I watched Gurren Lagann not too long ago but I would be up for watching the films and short animations
Good man! This is gaining momentum.

Would anyone object to me making the thread for it? I can set one aside for whenever we do this.

Would anyone object to me making the thread for it? I can set one aside for whenever we do this.

I OBJECT!!! :< (Actually I have no objections whatsoever, I just always wanted to say that XD ). Not sure if I'll join in with this simulwatch but will consider it, when are we planning to start? :)

Never watched Haibane Renmei, but always wanted to, I just don't have it.
Yeah, I would highly, highly recommend the series to you, dude. MVM released it on DVD in the UK a few years ago, and it seems to still be available.

I OBJECT!!! :<
Ace%2B0.png

😛

Not sure if I'll join in with this simulwatch but will consider it, when are we planning to start?
Not sure yet; still in the early stages with this one. We've got the Land of the Lustrous simulwatch until 16 March, so it won't be until after that. It's nice to plan ahead, though.

As ever, we'll just see what would suit everyone who's interested. 🙂

EDIT: In the meantime, I've booked a space for it. 😉

Last edited:
the two films and the Parallel Works
I'm not sure about parallel works as I only have the standard release for the series (I'm sure I could "find" them somewhere). But no such problem with the films as I have 2 copies due to the Christmas sale cock-up!
Seeing as there's one ongoing maybe this could be an April simulwatch and then with Planetes now currently having a late April release that could be a May one.
Have to think of a tagline. "In space no one can hear you pick up trash"?

Seeing as there's one ongoing maybe this could be an April simulwatch and then with Planetes now currently having a late April release that could be a May one.
Have to think of a tagline. "In space no one can hear you pick up trash"?

Don't think I'm especially in the mood to rewatch it, but I would definitely follow a thread on Planetes - I'd be interested to see what people make of it.

would anyone be interested in including the two films and the Parallel Works short animations in it?
Alas my standard blu ray set does not have the movies...I had no idea the movies were meant to be that good. They seem to be in the dvd set but not the blu ray one?!! Very sad... May have to source them separately if they're easily available...
would definitely follow a thread on Planetes - I'd be interested to see what people make of it.
Looking forward to getting the set and then watching together. Have therefore held off its screenanime screening this month.

Do you guys ever do more than one simulwatch at a time for those who want to watch something else or is that too much?

I'm guessing I could manage two sub-30 min episodes a day (though maybe I'll wait and see how I manage to keep with the current one during the weekdays...).

Do you guys ever do more than one simulwatch at a time for those who want to watch something else or is that too much?
Being realistic I would not want to commit to doing more than one concurrently.

I like to put a bit of time into my replies, reading what other people said etc, doing two at once would probably be a bit too much time commit.
I'm the same as Lordhippos. There was one time that two simulwatches overlapped each other (the second Kon/Ōtomo simulwatch and the anime war films one), but it's not something that I would choose. I do think it works better when there's enough time to allow discussion as well. 🙂

Yeah, it's not the watching part that takes the time, I could easily watch a whole 1 cour show on a day off. I don't because unless it's a really interesting show I start getting bored and lose focus. But I can watch 1 episode per show of at least 10 different shows in a day if I get behind in my seasonal stuff.
No it's the thinking about what to write and doing extra research, either having a flick through the manga as we go like I did with Evangelion (and will with Planetes, probably) or the historical stuff as with the WWII thread.
Plus I write my replies on my phone which takes extra time. This took at least 5 mins for example.

Yeah I'm seeing what you guys mean; just spent a good while reading everyone's thoughts on today's episode and it really isn't worth spreading oneself too thin and not getting the most out of the simulwatch. Overambitious (& greedy heh) suggestion withdrawn!

Back