UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Pre-ordered Bartender. A friend had me read the manga way back so I'm genuinely interested, but we've been told continuously this is Andrew's baby and given we've had a lot of Gundam this year and pandemic fixes like Screen Anime I'm voting with my wallet (the good kind, not the Tory lobbyist kind).

Also, Eizouken shirt from the Cloud Matsuri sale arrived. It's nice but I wish Crunchyroll had done something a bit more inventive than just splash the show logo on front and back.

I would probably have taken a chance on Bartender (even though I prefer anime dubbed purely because that way I can watch it faster), but I'm a bit short on cash atm so unless the pre-order window is quite long I'll have to wait to purchase. A bit random but wondering: is there any chance of a UK release of Nodame Cantabile at this point? I saw it years ago (all three seasons) and loved it to bits, I'd really love to own it on Blu-ray even if it was offered sub only or with only the Japanese audio and English subs plus the probably quite rubbish Animax dub (basically I'm saying as long as the original Japanese version with English subs is on the discs I don't mind if there's no dub or the dub is terrible). Like, I understand that even if there is a chance of it it might be a different UK distributor I need to ask than AL but I was wondering, cuz it's a wonderful series! Also interested in Honey and Clover and NANA as well (I would ask about Chihayafuru but I've just imported S1 and S2 from the US so I can't guarantee that I'd double dip but would consider it).

was it ever mentioned if AL have the licenses for the 3 Sinners of the System movies or were they only licensing them for the scotland loves anime thing?

I would probably have taken a chance on Bartender (even though I prefer anime dubbed purely because that way I can watch it faster), but I'm a bit short on cash atm so unless the pre-order window is quite long I'll have to wait to purchase. A bit random but wondering: is there any chance of a UK release of Nodame Cantabile at this point? I saw it years ago (all three seasons) and loved it to bits, I'd really love to own it on Blu-ray even if it was offered sub only or with only the Japanese audio and English subs plus the probably quite rubbish Animax dub (basically I'm saying as long as the original Japanese version with English subs is on the discs I don't mind if there's no dub or the dub is terrible). Like, I understand that even if there is a chance of it it might be a different UK distributor I need to ask than AL but I was wondering, cuz it's a wonderful series! Also interested in Honey and Clover and NANA as well (I would ask about Chihayafuru but I've just imported S1 and S2 from the US so I can't guarantee that I'd double dip but would consider it).
Nodame Cantabile I believe in terms of rights belongs to Sony but if Andrew Partridge (El Presidente) is a fan of the series he might try and track it down one day if the opportunity arises.

I reckon Honey and Clover has a good chance given Discotek has done the effort of authoring the Blu-rays in the US, so if it gets the Magic Knight Rayearth treatment then it might happen one day. But it is a long series (24 & 12 eps) which may be a challenge.

Thankyou NormanicGrav :) I was thinking H&C has a better chance than the others, I'm not even sure if there is a blu-ray of NANA in Japan, and am wondering if that is partly because Ai Yazawa is reluctant to have her works remastered in HD or something like that as I don't know if there are BDs of Paradise Kiss or Neighbourhood Stories either. i think it's sad that we never got those, Marmalade Boy or Boys Over Flowers in the UK either. I am gonna hold off on importing Honey and Clover for a bit to see if it gets licensed here as they did do Utena which is about the same length and Honey and Clover is fairly well known for a josei series I think? I am glad that we are getting more shoujo/josei in UK these days it is not considered an automatic sales failure anymore and that's a good thing :)

Thankyou NormanicGrav :) I was thinking H&C has a better chance than the others, I'm not even sure if there is a blu-ray of NANA in Japan, and am wondering if that is partly because Ai Yazawa is reluctant to have her works remastered in HD or something like that as I don't know if there are BDs of Paradise Kiss or Neighbourhood Stories either. i think it's sad that we never got those, Marmalade Boy or Boys Over Flowers in the UK either. I am gonna hold off on importing Honey and Clover for a bit to see if it gets licensed here as they did do Utena which is about the same length and Honey and Clover is fairly well known for a josei series I think? I am glad that we are getting more shoujo/josei in UK these days it is not considered an automatic sales failure anymore and that's a good thing :)
I think with regards to shows like Marmalade Boy (which would be great if they were brought over), there's also the question as to whether SD-BDs (Standard Definition transfer on Blu-ray) is marketable in the UK anime scene. So far Mobile Suit Gundam SEED will be the first anime to utilise SD-BD discs in the UK (they're exclusive to the Ultimate Edition) and if people like them in that way, we could see more shows released in that way, like Marmalade Boy and even Lupin the Third if Discotek decides to release the older series in that format.

The first season of Nodame has a dub, not a good one but it does exist, it was made by Sony for broadcast on their Animax service, I bought the Hong Kong release way back. Paris hen and Finale aren't dubbed though to my knowledge but it's better in Japanese as the sounds Nodame comes out with are awesome.

Couldn't the spine for Children Who Chase been a little nicer color... Green or Blue... Rather than brown lol

Your name - follows case art
Weathering - follows case art
5cm - Follows Sakura theme
CWCLV - brown as its???

I'll be buying it just for the collection

Only film that hasnt had a CE or Steelbook is Garden of Words. Hopefully that's an option in the future.

Nodame Cantabile I believe in terms of rights belongs to Sony but if Andrew Partridge (El Presidente) is a fan of the series he might try and track it down one day if the opportunity arises.
I think there was a reddit ama with the RS president, him saying that Nodame is something he'd love, but licensing is complicated.

I think it was one of the reasons I got the JP BD box together with my jp Hyouka, because there was just no sign of any of the two back then. (Hyouka popped up eventually though.)

That being said.... My Nodame is still sealed. 😅

(Would have been interested in the Animax Dub for a listen. Siren released it on dvd in AUS, was tempted, but AUS imports from sirens site were so expensive shipping wise and didn't know about jbhifi then...)

I as I said have the Hong Kng release, it has the dub but is also long OOP, the dub is average, not terrible but when you are used to the Japanese VAs it jars to hear in English, without the same quality or voice type, Chiaki sounds really gruff in the dub.

Yeah I am tempted to import the Japanese BD set as I do have a player that should be able to play it and even if it was unsubbed I think I could pick up enough of the show to enjoy it as I have seen it all subbed before. Does the JP BD set include Paris-hen and Finale or just the first series? :)

Yeah I am tempted to import the Japanese BD set as I do have a player that should be able to play it and even if it was unsubbed I think I could pick up enough of the show to enjoy it as I have seen it all subbed before. Does the JP BD set include Paris-hen and Finale or just the first series? :)
It's all series iirc (or should or I would not have bought it at that jp price, lol)
I'm not sure about all this specials though. Iirc the contents list didn't list ask if their titles, just something ambiguous, so I was meaning to find out as I rewached it. Which. Uhm. Hasn't happened yet.

I still think it's really too bad they didn't use the occasion of the BD box for some box special. Opera-hen is about the only thing unadapted from the Manga.

I’m not too familiar with how Anime Limited typically handle their releases but will 5cm Per Second and Children Who Chase Lost Voices get regular non steelbook releases too?

Last edited:
I’m not too familiar with how Anime Lomited typically handle their releases but will 5cm Per Second and Children Who Chase Lost Voices get regular non steelbook releases too?

I am not sure, I think it depends on a lot of factors. I would say that if you want the OST as well it is worth buying the steelbook edition as they might not be included in a standard release (particularly if they offer an early bird discount on the steelbooks that means that the price of the BD and OST combined is cheaper than buying them separately), but if you just want the film on BD then it might be worth waiting as they did do standard editions for all the other Makoto Shinkai films they have released eventually, though for the Place Promised and Voices double pack they did I think there might have been a big gap between collector's and standard release dates? I could be wrong about that though.

Dang it, I wish the pre-orders were up now for the 5cm and Children steelbooks, I would have ordered them with the Early Bird Bartender set to help spread out the £25 international shipping. oh well, I'll just order the US Bartender release and get the steelbooks through Zavvi near the end of the year.

Back