UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

(despite the subtitles, yes that means Sakura is excited)

Is Sakura going to be a 4K-only release, or will there be a standard BD version as well?

Just to be clear, it doesn't mean we'll be doing a UHD or such of it though - just a regular BD. What it means though is like the latest JP BD release, it takes advantage of the best possible video we can though (figured I was somewhat ambiguous before!)

Will we have redone subs from the NISA as I hope Bestie isn’t included. And the weird spelling of Syaoran

can't wait! - i'm also intrested in what subs your using (please use Syaoran not Xiaolang)

Can't make a firm guarantee just now as we need to look into a bunch of points on it. But we're taking our time on this one and globally are aware of the issues raised on subtitles (most of which centre on poor Syaoran if I understand right) so are investigating what can be done.

AP

Can't make a firm guarantee just now as we need to look into a bunch of points on it. But we're taking our time on this one and globally are aware of the issues raised on subtitles (most of which centre on poor Syaoran if I understand right) so are investigating what can be done.

AP

I'm glad to see you're aware of the subtitling issues on NISA's release.

What is the likelihood of the "You're Wonderful, Sakura-chan! Tomoyo's Cardcaptor Sakura Video Diary" shorts being included, or is that a separate license altogether? I know they were excluded on the NISA release and (if I'm correct) on Black Box France's release, the latter of which uses the recent 4K transfer.

I'm guessing a 1-disc digipack would look something like the Love Live! Sunshine! digipack, but with one side being clear artwork instead of having a disc tray? I wonder that would work practically - like, would one side have to be thicker to off-set the weight balance?

That's about right, yeah! Alas the weight wouldn't be balanced though so it'd weigh the same as the other under part or all sorts of hell breaks loose in production sadly. If the right project comes up where we get a great idea for the artwork though we'd definitely consider it :).

Speaking of digipacks, I was looking at my shelf and was reminded that the Lupin the 3rd: Part IV set is gorgeous. A chonky thing, but a think of beauty. Hopefully Part 5 will match it when the time comes.

We live in hope - I'd very much not like to have to do two different releases for the language tracks though this time! It's on our radar atm so we'll see what we come up with in due course...

Best,

AP

We live in hope - I'd very much not like to have to do two different releases for the language tracks though this time! It's on our radar atm so we'll see what we come up with in due course...

Ah yea I remember getting that email with a discount for the dub only standard edition. Also now that the sub only collectors edition is sold out I'm curious what's the plan with that one.

Also I'm not saying directly I would throw obscene amounts of money at you for a Lupin part 2 Ultimate Edition but... (actually I will stop dreaming as I concede it's impossible even at the best stretch of my imagination :p)

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla (a relatively small independent group) switched to single-disc digipaks for all their releases about five years now - they’re half the thickness of standard DVD/BD cases and I think they look really nice.

I’m a weirdo - I don’t really like fancy limited/special/collector edition sets with big fancy boxes, but I really like single-disc digipaks.

Sure do - it's on for this year just now, the slowdown is we're currently retrieving the latest version of the BD masters which were upped to 4K as we figure if we're doing this, best do it properly and use the best version we can!

I hope the disc compression and authoring is handled by MediaOCD and not the French studio with the lewd name (Com'On Screen). If it is by them (the previously mentioned French company), I don't think I'll buy it and instead get the JP BD Box.

So maybe a question for Andrew or maybe a question someone with better knowledge of licensing than me can answer.
While going through Amazon video the other day I noticed a few Lupin the 3rd movies available to stream or purchase: (all HD, dubbed & subbed)
Goemon's Blood Spray
Jigen's Gravestone
Fujiko's Lie
Goodbye Partner
So my question is who owns the rights? Someone must have licensed them in this country and any chance of AL sub licensing from them?

So maybe a question for Andrew or maybe a question someone with better knowledge of licensing than me can answer.
While going through Amazon video the other day I noticed a few Lupin the 3rd movies available to stream or purchase: (all HD, dubbed & subbed)
Goemon's Blood Spray
Jigen's Gravestone
Fujiko's Lie
Goodbye Partner
So my question is who owns the rights? Someone must have licensed them in this country and any chance of AL sub licensing from them?
TMS likely. Heard some of their stuff went on Amazon recently

I hope the disc compression and authoring is handled by MediaOCD and not the French studio with the lewd name (Com'On Screen). If it is by them (the previously mentioned French company), I don't think I'll buy it and instead get the JP BD Box.
I doubt it would be Com'On Screen, as Black Box already released it on BD in France with the 4K transfer.

I kinda hope it’s not the new company either after lazy lazy Ballroom with no extras and subs copied from amazon
If I'm correct, Ballroom wasn't even done by an authoring house, but by an individual person who does a few odd projects for a few companies. The authoring house you were referring to were generally good with their subtitles (timing-wise at least), although the picture encoding needs improvement.

Back