UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

You do realise that almost all of the current anime are not composited at 1080p, right? Most now are composited at resolutions at 720p or higher, and rarely at full 1080. Actually, Garden of Sinners was composited not at 720p, but around 540p which is half that of 1080, exactly like Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.

Gankutusou was composited at 480p, and Bloodlust (if you're talking about Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust) as composited digitally at some resolution I don't know, but as the original files no longer exist (or something to that degree), a 35mm print was scanned at 2K for Discotek's BD (which AL replicated).

I remember when Naruto Shippuuden started airing, and it was a big deal that it was widescreen instead of 4:3 like the original series. It hit me back then that anime was behind the curve and/or didn't much care.

I knew Ganku and Noein were standard definition, simply because I watched them around when they came out on the internet. The Blu-rays were such obvious upscales; the images lacking sharpness to the point it wasn't much difference than the DVDs. Noein especially disappointed. Nowadays I've come to accept only old school cel anime and not 2000's anime on BDs will look razor sharp. A pity when mid-2000's anime was where I found many of my favourites.

Didn't Perfect Blue have a similar issue to VHD: the original materials being lost/the BD underwhelming? I'm hoping Millennium Actress looks a wee bit better. Come to think of it, I thought that was out...

...oh, KnK: no, I didn't know that was originally 540p. I read that Brotherhood's DVDs looked as good as the BDs, and I recall thinking my imported DVDs looked good, way back when. For the record, I thought KnK5 looked fine. Tbh, I don't understand how modern anime is created; just that digital anime would have to be remade to go above the resolution it was created at. Or something like that. I think. Maybe.

I remember when Naruto Shippuuden started airing, and it was a big deal that it was widescreen instead of 4:3 like the original series. It hit me back then that anime was behind the curve and/or didn't much care.

I knew Ganku and Noein were standard definition, simply because I watched them around when they came out on the internet. The Blu-rays were such obvious upscales; the images lacking sharpness to the point it wasn't much difference than the DVDs. Noein especially disappointed. Nowadays I've come to accept only old school cel anime and not 2000's anime on BDs will look razor sharp. A pity when mid-2000's anime was where I found many of my favourites.

Didn't Perfect Blue have a similar issue to VHD: the original materials being lost/the BD underwhelming? I'm hoping Millennium Actress looks a wee bit better. Come to think of it, I thought that was out...

...oh, KnK: no, I didn't know that was originally 540p. I read that Brotherhood's DVDs looked as good as the BDs, and I recall thinking my imported DVDs looked good, way back when. For the record, I thought KnK5 looked fine. Tbh, I don't understand how modern anime is created; just that digital anime would have to be remade to go above the resolution it was created at. Or something like that. I think. Maybe.

Perfect Blue was the same way. The original BD of Perfect Blue is better than the "remastered" disc that was released recently- that has quite a bit of DNR to it.

Millennium Actress' original materials do exist and the new Shout Factory BD uses the new 4K scan of it which is generally fine, but with more DNR than I'd like (though I don't remember it being too distracting in the theater).

As for FMA Brotherhood, I seriously find it hard to believe the DVDs look as good as the BDs. Yes, the BDs from FUNi were far from perfect, but the increase in storage along with resolution and codec make it leagues better than DVD.

As for "digital anime would have to be remade to go above the resolution it was created at"- nope. It would have to be re-composited, but that's only assuming the base files still exist.

Perfect Blue was the same way. The original BD of Perfect Blue is better than the "remastered" disc that was released recently- that has quite a bit of DNR to it.

Millennium Actress' original materials do exist and the new Shout Factory BD uses the new 4K scan of it which is generally fine, but with more DNR than I'd like (though I don't remember it being too distracting in the theater).

As for FMA Brotherhood, I seriously find it hard to believe the DVDs look as good as the BDs. Yes, the BDs from FUNi were far from perfect, but the increase in storage along with resolution and codec make it leagues better than DVD.

As for "digital anime would have to be remade to go above the resolution it was created at"- nope. It would have to be re-composited, but that's only assuming the base files still exist.
The original resolution for FMA:B was 580p which is just over the PAL resolution of 576 lines. The only real difference between the UK dvds and bds is compression and the slight change in frame ratein in terms of quality.

Fellow user @Bakauchuujin had asked MVM on Twitter regarding their release of Monogatari Second Season. MVM have confirmed that they're using the same discs (with Hanabee's masters) from their volume releases.

EDIT: I just saw Bakauchuujin mention this on the "What did you receive today?" topic, a few hours before I posted this. However, this post is staying on this topic nonetheless.

Last edited:
FWIW, I can't recommend Kill Me Baby highly enough: it's hilarious. One of my absolute favourites.

That probably doesn't help, eh? 😅

Oh I've seen it lol. I had plundered it once while sailing the seven seas.

Well I don't need it, I won't need crunchyroll or funimation either now that I have all these shows on my shelf to watch first lol.

Back