UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I feel like UC OVAs would be a good move, I see a lot of love for them on AUKN but I don’t recall any of them receiving UK releases in the DVD era. Slightly selfish because I’d just like to have a complete UC collection in AL’s lovely boxes, but I do think War in the Pocket, 08th MS Team, Unicorn etc. would be winners. I’d certainly prioritise them over anything Seed...

Agreed. I don’t care for seed. Leave that series for last. AL should finish up the UC collection first.

Well Discotek is providing small distributors in America can make UHD Work.
The key phrase there being “in America” where the market is considerably bigger. Nozomi may well be able to do Gundam UHDs at some point, but I think it’s a big ask from AL.
I can see War in the pocket coming, though it was overrated.
I happen to agree (it is pure distillation of Gundam’s central message, but too short to actually make me care very much about the characters) but a lot of people seem to consider it peak Gundam, so I think there’s probably a pretty decent market for it. I’d still buy it.

The key phrase there being “in America” where the market is considerably bigger. Nozomi may well be able to do Gundam UHDs at some point, but I think it’s a big ask from AL.

I happen to agree (it is pure distillation of Gundam’s central message, but too short to actually make me care very much about the characters) but a lot of people seem to consider it peak Gundam, so I think there’s probably a pretty decent market for it. I’d still buy it.
No cos UHDs are region free they are aiming it for anyone. So the fact AL could make it easier for say Americans to import it I could see a CE selling.
And yeah 0080 length is what damages it as the two adults characters relationship was rushed

Seed is “popular” and BBFC’d so makes more sense than a risky sub only Victory
It was popular when it came out, but I’m not sure the intervening years have been as kind as they have to say, Wing. Also wasn’t Seed Destiny pretty disliked even at the time?

Honestly, I’d have said the same about Victory but AL did manage to release ZZ, which had never before had a UK release and was considered by many to be the worst UC series. V can’t sell worse than ZZ, surely?

I remember SEED being super popular up until Code Geass. Never saw it mentioned, after that. Kira/Athrun was quickly eroded from collective consciousness by Lelouch/Suzaku. Even the trainwreck that was R2 was loved, unlike Destiny, so Geass was able to keep going after all these years. SEED meanwhile has been forgtten by most.

I think Wing is similar to Dragon Ball Z in that early anime yank-Toonami/whatever nostalgia keeps it relevant/££££££. SEED also had reused animations in the last quarter, quite heavily, iirc. It hasn't at all well.

SEED aired one episode a week when it aired in the US. Which is torture given how long anything takes to happen. Takes them the entire first cour just to get to Earth.

I still maintain Wing did so well because it avoids the Gundam trope of authority figures. It's 5 15 year olds who get to pilot giant robots at their own discretion whilst also outclassing trained soldiers in hand to hand. It's a power fantasy and the rest of Gundam doesn't really match it.

Shouldn't someone create a seperate topic for "all that Gundam"?
It exists, but when people are talking about AL's potential releases they tend to get discussed here rather than there. Part of me thinks it's good for AL to see what people want since they read this thread and probably don't read that one, but mods can fold this discussion in there instead if they really want to.

CCA got the UHD treatment in Japan too though, I honestly don’t see the UK getting Gundam UHD releases - The market is already small and can you imagine how much they’d have to charge for them to satisfy Sunrise and turn a profit?

I feel like UC OVAs would be a good move, I see a lot of love for them on AUKN but I don’t recall any of them receiving UK releases in the DVD era. Slightly selfish because I’d just like to have a complete UC collection in AL’s lovely boxes, but I do think War in the Pocket, 08th MS Team, Unicorn etc. would be winners. I’d certainly prioritise them over anything Seed...
The first 2 got bd releases from BEEZ repackaging the international version just like all the subsequent ovas and movies. They did not get released on dvd here though.

Which two are you referring to? I don't recall Beez releasing any Gundam on BD...
Unicorn episodes 1 & 2. BEEZ released the international version. It is identical to the Honneamise version in the US, except the sleeve has the BEEZ instead.

The rest probably would have been released too only they were wound up. They were sold as an Amazon exclusive too iirc as some kind of dodge on getting it bbfc'd.

Unicom was a pain in general. We were promised to be in on the global release, then weren't. A site emerged for France eventually but the UK one we were promised didn't follow. It wasn't until volume 2 was sold through Amazon that we'd get a way to buy volume 1 too.

I ended up getting both 1 and 7 from America as a result. 7 was ludicrously priced for the amount of actual content.

Unicom was a pain in general. We were promised to be in on the global release, then weren't. A site emerged for France eventually but the UK one we were promised didn't follow. It wasn't until volume 2 was sold through Amazon that we'd get a way to buy volume 1 too.

I ended up getting both 1 and 7 from America as a result. 7 was ludicrously priced for the amount of actual content.
I was able to buy volume 1 direct from Andrew at a cinema screening of the episode. Got 3 & 4 from UP1, 5 & 6 from WowHD really cheap and 7 from Amazon jp. Ended up getting 2 second hand on ebay with another copy of 1 for €30.

We got a cinema screening of the first Unicorn episode?
It was in Dublin as part of a festival. It was shown as a double bill with Blood: The Last Vampire. Evangelion 1.0 and 2.0 were both shown that weekend too.

Eva 2.0, Summer Wars to Be Screened in Dublin in March

The "mystery title" mentioned in the article was Gundam UC1 and was printed on the ticket as such despite being listed as a mystery on the website.

Last edited:
Back