What did you RECEIVE today? PHOTOS EDITION!

V0ozVJeh.jpg

To my surprise, Mobile Suit Gundam Wing Part 2 arrived in the mail today. You can view more photos on my blog.

4K_UHD_November_2019.jpg

Figured it was about time that I shift gears and keep the future-proofing collection going on with three more films for the 4K Ultra HD format. First up is The Shining which recently got released, the film/book's sequel title Doctor Sleep has been getting positive reviews so I decided to check out the predecessor. Next is Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, which I heard was surprisingly decent for a soft reboot franchise and there's a sequel on the horizon so I figured I'll check it out. And next is Baby Driver which I had been meaning to check out for months/years now.

Rocketman will likely be the last film I'll pick up for the 4K format for this year (as I plan to get it for Christmas) unless I decide to import Suspiria and Space Adventure Cobra for random reasons from the US.

First up is The Shining which recently got released, the film/book's sequel title Doctor Sleep has been getting positive reviews so I decided to check out the predecessor.
I hope you enjoy The Shining Grav, I'm looking forward to seeing it in 4k myself, it's one of the greatest films ever made as far as I'm concerned. Even a lot of films I love I haven't seen all that many times, but I could sit in a dark room and watch The Shining over and over again Howard Hughes style.

Regarding Doctor Sleep however (spoilers potentially for both films follow) while I'm not averse to the idea of a sequel, I hate everything I've heard about it. I do enjoy some of Stephen King's work (though mostly his earlier work) but the film of The Shining improves greatly on the book and one of the key things I love about it, one of the things I think makes it absolute peak horror is that the antagonist of The Shining is Jack's own mind (and to some extent, Danny's as well). The horror is the horror that lurks in people's heads, and that's more terrifying and interesting than any physical villain or monster could be.

Doctor Sleep, from what I understand (I haven't read the book) has as it's antagonists a gang of quasi-satanists/quasi-vampires who go around draining the Shining out of people (however the **** that's supposed to work) and grown-up Danny has to save kids from them. As soon as I heard that, I wanted to get an axe myself. I'm not even against the idea of a sequel in principle, I'm sure something interesting could have been done with the idea of an older Danny struggling with the demons in his head in the same way his father did (the book was based on King's experiences with alcoholism after all), but that sounds like such an utterly uninspired and by the numbers plot for a sequel to such an extraordinary film. I doubt that any amount of good acting or faithfully recreated sets can save it for me if it doesn't at least try to stick with the central theme of someone's own isolated, dark thoughts being their own worst enemy.

Last edited:
Back