Here it is! The official preview of the first 10 minutes of Evangelion 3.0+1.0. 😀

Screened at an event in Paris, and live-streamed worldwide, proceedings are conducted in Japanese and French. It begins with a stage show of songs, interviews and a message from Hideaki Anno, before the video begins with a short recap of the first three Rebuild films. Subtitles are in French.

Here are the key time stamps:
4min50sec: start
31min00sec: Shinji VA Megumi Ogata on stage
43min05sec: message from Hideaki Anno
52min14sec: video begins

The opening of this film is... bloody spectacular! I love it already.

Here's the link:
https://live.line.me/channels/75/broadcast/11598500
Don't know how long the video will be up for.
Looks awesome, but it's been such a long time since the first three rebuilds that they could probably do with being rebuilt again 😜

Here it is! The official preview of the first 10 minutes of Evangelion 3.0+1.0. 😀

Screened at an event in Paris, and live-streamed worldwide, proceedings are conducted in Japanese and French. It begins with a stage show of songs, interviews and a message from Hideaki Anno, before the video begins with a short recap of the first three Rebuild films. Subtitles are in French.

Here are the key time stamps:
4min50sec: start
31min00sec: Shinji VA Megumi Ogata on stage
43min05sec: message from Hideaki Anno
52min14sec: video begins

The opening of this film is... bloody spectacular! I love it already.

Here's the link:
https://live.line.me/channels/75/broadcast/11598500
Don't know how long the video will be up for.
Text-based translation of the 3.0+1.0 opening scenes:
https://pastebin.com/mcaKEDwb

So ive seen it and I get what they are doing they are making WILLE get Euro NERV's old supplies to fight SEELE/NERV and Mari is going to find Shinji (And Asuka and Rei)

So ive seen it . . .
Who'd have thought that WILLE had access to equipment that'd allow them to restore the Earth to a habitable state! 😮

I guess this is what Kaworu was talking about in 3.33 when he wanted to get the Spears of Cassius and Longinus. Presumably those would've been able to perform the same task, but perhaps on a global scale.

Quite a long watch but interesting. Contains spoilers 🤫
It certainly was interesting. 🤔
I'd heard a little bit before about the potential meta-textual reading (Help me 😅) of the "curse of Eva" in 3.33, but had never seen it explored in detail like this.

After watching that video, it seems very realistic to suggest that Anno may have dabbled with this angle on storytelling before, in The End of Evangelion:
I think that scene in EoE is Anno making a comment on some Otakus relationships to characters (and probably would have been even more on the nose if Shinji did it in his bedroom!)

The quote that I took note of most was during the live action section with characters talking about dreams. Again a swipe at the Otakus (most specifically the ones that attacked him, shown by the images of Internet chat pages). Talk of Shinji not being here and avoiding reality.
But he also takes a bit of a swipe at himself. Of creating a "Convenient fantasy to take revenge against reality"

It also got me thinking about another factor in that, back in the 1990s, post-NGE, the anime industry turned out a number of Eva copyist series such as Brain Powered and (probably the one that's most remembered) RahXephon.

Well, in Eva 3.33 there are some new character designs (the WILLE pilots) with outfits which seem to be blatant rip-offs of the ones seen in RahXephon. So, basically, the designs of an Evangelion rip-off are in turn being ripped off in an Evangelion film. 😅

That's so meta, and perhaps adds further weight to the idea that the world depicted in 3.33 is indeed a sideways reference to what's been happening in the real world (or at least the anime world), post-Evangelion.

Or maybe it's all just overanalysis. Who can say! 😆

Last edited:
Ah, I've seen that video pop up in my youtube recommendations, but if it contains spoilers for the rebuilds, I'll give it a miss.
Major spoilers, so... yeah.

I should've pointed out before that it was partly because of @Adam-M's mention of RahXephon in the FRANXX/Gridman discussion in the Viewing Journal thread that that point popped into my head so readily.

But yeah, one of the most interesting bits of that video is this particular assertion:

"Rei is the synthesis of different character types: [she's] a clone of the protagonist's mother housing the soul of an otherworldly being in the body of an adolescent girl. The doll-like and semi-human Ayanami became the single most popular and influential character in the history of otaku anime; fans still isolate parts of the character to amplify and rearticulate in fan-produced works to produce moe."

Part of that sentiment seems rather familiar from somewhere recently...
I wonder if Anno's apparent disinterest in developing Rei's personality might be part of the key to her popularity. Compared to the other main characters, she seems far more like a blank slate for people to project their own interpretations on to.

Pulled from the Nadia simulwatch thread:

Dare I ask what you made of it? 😅
Haha. From what I remember my over riding feeling was "What?!" I did enjoy it but it felt so far removed from what Eva was to me, at least at the time, that it was a bit wierd. Ultimately, I think it's going to be what happens in the final film that determines my feeling for 3.33.

Having said that seeing as we've recently watched the series with a more critical eye I may have a whole new outlook on it if I rewatch the films now. Just trying to decide if I want to do that now or wait until the last one finally comes out!

It was interesting wouldn’t say good yet. It does seem if you didn’t like 3.33 you won’t like this but that’s my impression he is sticking to as crazy as 3.33 is.

Did it look good?
It's great! 😃
That opening 10 minutes dispelled my doubts about the new story direction, and already solves one of the most puzzling elements of 3.33 without even directly addressing it. It's so clever!

It's honestly bubbling over with imagination, and is clearly the work of a creative team on top form. I think 3.0+1.0 will go a long way towards making up for the arguable missteps of 3.33.

It's great! 😃
That opening 10 minutes dispelled my doubts about the new story direction, and already solves one of the most puzzling elements of 3.33 without even directly addressing it. It's so clever!

It's honestly bubbling over with imagination, and is clearly the work of a creative team on top form. I think 3.0+1.0 will go a long way towards making up for the arguable missteps of 3.33.
'arguable missteps'.......you're so polite, that's not how I would describe it 😏

Back