The General Conversation Area

It’s strange to think that there are kids who may already be unfamiliar with VHS, I recall having a fat TV with a VHS player and wearing down my classic Doctor Who ones.

It’s strange to think that there are kids who may already be unfamiliar with VHS, I recall having a fat TV with a VHS player and wearing down my classic Doctor Who ones.
I remember the day we first rented, that's right rented our first VHS player. I could actually record and keep movies. That's when my movie collecting obsession started.
As much as I love DVD, Blu-ray discs or UHD discs, I still think video cassettes were the greatest thing ever. They enabled you to have your own library.

I remember the day we first rented, that's right rented our first VHS player. I could actually record and keep movies. That's when my movie collecting obsession started.
As much as I love DVD, Blu-ray discs or UHD discs, I still think video cassettes were the greatest thing ever. They enabled you to have your own library.
The only downside... rewinding your tapes.

I remember taping an episode of Robot Wars and being devastated that someone had accidentally recorded over it with the evening news.

I remember taping an episode of Robot Wars and being devastated that someone had accidentally recorded over it with the evening news.
On a bizarre note I have a similar story, basically the same, only difference being instead of the news it ended up as part -only part- of a film.

Thought we should move this over here.
I was just watching Demon Slater and in the OP sung by a female, LiSA, part of the lyrics is "Boku wo". As the MC is a male maybe the lyrics are from a male point of view!

I was just thinking whilst writing that, that the scene in Anthem of the Heart where the female MC sings would be totally different with a male:

I was just watching Demon Slater and in the OP sung by a female, LiSA, part of the lyrics is "Boku wo".
Curiously, "boku" is actually used as a unisex first-person pronoun in Japanese lyrics. 🤨

In conversation, it can also be used in the third person as well by an older person talking down to a boy. (See also "bouzu" and "bouya".) It's used in this way in a scene in Porco Rosso, where Porco's love interest Gina uses it towards Porco's love rival Curtis, much to the latter's obvious dismay! 😅

The actual literal meaning of the word "boku" is something akin to "manservant" — just as the Japanese word "shujin", used in the modern day to mean "husband", actually has its roots in its original meaning of "master". 😬

Last edited:
This rotten thing is like the family sized bag of crisps that you keep eating in the hope that the next one will taste as good as the first one did, despite knowing that you've already eaten about three packets worth at this point.
And if you're anything like @Neil.T, you can eat more than three family sized bags of crisps and still not gain a pound!

I want to know where it all goes! 😂

Back