Multiple Fatalities Confirmed in Kyoto Animation Fire

Truly horrifying news. May the souls of the innocently deceased RIP, and may my thoughts and best wishes reach all the families affected by this utterly barbaric attack.

Please don't fall for this. As I write this, he and four others are still missing. I've seen a lot of people on Twitter fall for this... Don't listen to unconfirmed / fake sources!

It typically takes Japanese media a long time to name casualties due to respect for the families and a desire to get things right with the identification process (not to mention the time difference). There's a much greater focus on personal privacy in Japan than in the UK/US. It's quite ghoulish to speculate on an individual's death based on no evidence aside from them not having been seen in a while (for example) so it is best to ignore unsubstantiated reports until anything official is said. Japanese (and foreign) forums are drawing up lists on whose safety has been confirmed and whose has not been mentioned which appears to be the only real source for the rumours.

What we do know is that a lot of creative people were robbed of their lives. More details will likely continue to emerge tomorrow, Japan time.

R

I feel rather conflicted about Sentai's fundraising efforts. While I understand that people want to be supportive, I can't really feel happy about it however much money they might raise. Perhaps it's the fact it was so immediate.

When it's a building like Notre Dame, just a thing that can be replaced with enough cash I understand it better, but when we're talking about people's lives... I don't know. Something about the idea of love or sympathy being measured in monetary terms doesn't sit so well with me. Even a hundred million quid isn't going to bring those people back or heal the mental and physical scars the survivors are going to have to live with and it feels a little bit cynical to think that any amount of money can ever put that right.

Last edited:
If this goes on for a few days those who've donated will end up paying for every single brick of a new building.
May I make a suggestion that may never come to fruition, and build a statue of violet where the former building was as a memorial?

KyoAni has a shopfront for high resolution digital image downloads, which you can download immediately after purchase.
There is a tutorial for non-japanese people here, too:

I was a bit put off myself at first, after noticing that the URL is quite diffrent than the usual KyoAni shop url, but there wasn't any news suggesting it's fake showing up. Then I learned the normal shop links to it, so it must be genuine.
( 京アニショップ! | the button right below the blue twitter button leads to the shop.)

Funds obviously go to KyoAni directly this way (and are perhaps also easier in term of tax stuff?).

Last edited:
I feel rather conflicted about Sentai's fundraising efforts. While I understand that people want to be supportive, I can't really feel happy about it however much money they might raise. Perhaps it's the fact it was so immediate.

When it's a building like Notre Dame, just a thing that can be replaced with enough cash I understand it better, but when we're talking about people's lives... I don't know. Something about the idea of love or sympathy being measured in monetary terms doesn't sit so well with me. Even a hundred million quid isn't going to bring those people back or heal the mental and physical scars the survivors are going to have to live with and it feels a little bit cynical to think that any amount of money can ever put that right.
money could go towards funeral costs or additional health care stuff, insurance will probably cover most of their lost technology but i think in cases like these they can take a while for them to process everything

So many lives and so much talent lost. Kyo ani had some highly skilled people working for them which is why they are loved by many.

Awful news and it's hard to see how the company will recover. I really hope the culprit gets what he deserves.

The more details come out the more heartbreaking it is

The GoFundMe has now reached $1.26million, which when converted is over £1million. Nearly 40,000 have donated.

"Started the fire, because a novel was stolen" is the headline of the article and allegedly what suspect Aoba has said.

Back