UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Mirai CE got dispatched earlier today (I received a dispatch e-mail a few hours ago). And despite the significant loss of many extras (which is a real shame), I don't regret my purchase.

At least LWA has english support. You can say where is ALs violet Evergarden as Australia has it

Does AL even have the license for Violet Evergarden?

I am more curious if AL would become more willing to release a UK versions of their french counterparts like Cat's Eye or Treasure Island.

I regret not buying Cat's Eye DVD from Nozomi! That series is high on my want list!
That Cat's Eye BD box from AL France is realy nice but having no UK subs is a real downer. So the french box is a no buy.

I am more curious if AL would become more willing to release a UK versions of their french counterparts like Cat's Eye or Treasure Island.
I wish they would, but I don't think there's much of a market for older anime in the UK. There's nostalgia for a lot of older shows in France because they were shown on TV over there, but they never were over here.

Still, English subtitles on the French releases wouldn't go amiss.

Has Anime Limited fell out with Odeon? Most cinema releases for that kind of thing used to go to Odeon but now they seem to be going to Showcase. Any ideas?
Mentioned this at the time but at the special Code Geass fan screening we got someone from I believe the Odeon events team thanking us and saying they were excited for future AL events.

So if Odeon went in deep and screenings have sadly underperformed...well.

AL has released some great movies but I'd be amazed if they touched numbers of Broly or the MHA movie.

I'd probably watch it again just due to how they built up Joker and Akechi's relationship, I really appreciated it for that even though it was badly adapted otherwise.

What are the chances of anything like this happening in the UK before the year is out?

(He asked, setting himself up for disappointment...)

I wasn't sure if what I'm about to say is appropriate for this thread or the Defective/Disappointing Discs thread, but I asked on the Blu-ray forum who authored and encoded AL's release of Welcome to the Ballroom Part 1 Blu-ray, due to the subtitle issues as pointed out by Just Passing Through on his review on myReviewer, and the fact that previous UK authored releases, which were done by the authoring house that has yet to be named, had no subtitle issues whatsoever (as far as I'm aware), and I also wasn't sure if this was like that on the Amazon Prime streams.

Mangaranga responded to my question with this:
Apparently they're not done by an authoring house, but an individual person who does a few odd projects for a few companies (or something like that, it was mentioned by an AL Staff member on Discord). I haven't seen the show itself nor do I own the BDs, but I'd imagine any subtitle issues are due to subtitles being taken directly from Amazon. I briefly checked the start of episode 4 and the episode title is indeed the only thing translated.

If any staff feels that this is more appropriate for the Defective/Disappointing Discs thread, feel free to move this post to that thread.

So they didn’t sub signs because amazon didn’t sub signs?
And yes I remember the error in Amazons ep 4...
So yep AL got them from amazon doesn’t bode well for VE... or Kakeguri or B.

So they didn’t sub signs because amazon didn’t sub signs?

That's probably it. Sorry to go a little bit off-topic, but weren't there any subtitle timing issues with Madman's release of Violet Evergarden, due to the subtitles taken from Netflix's translation (if I'm correct, Netflix has trouble showing subtitles and signs at the same time for the Netflix Originals)?

That's probably it. Sorry to go a little bit off-topic, but weren't there any subtitle timing issues with Madman's release of Violet Evergarden, due to the subtitles taken from Netflix's translation (if I'm correct, Netflix has trouble showing subtitles and signs at the same time for the Netflix Originals)?
Yeah the signs weren’t translated in the 4 eps I’ve seen so far. (Trying to watch Symphogear and VE isn’t going to well)

Yeah the signs weren’t translated in the 4 eps I’ve seen so far. (Trying to watch Symphogear and VE isn’t going to well)

That's the trouble with physical releases using subtitles from streaming sites that lack the ability to show more than one subtitle at a time, even if the person/group who authored such titles have the ability (strangely, Netflix didn't have this problem with other shows, as I found out when I was watching Guilty Crown).

So basically whoever handled Welcome to the Ballroom simply copy/pasted the translation from Amazon and didn't bother to go over and redo it?

Well it doesnt have any extras either its a lazy release disc wise ngl I was disappointed.
Isn't the person who authored it a single person so I doubt they could check translations too.

Back