UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I think SLA is good and a good idea. Its just now people act like you cant be fans without going which is more of the problem,
I dont oppose the north getting more stuff its just got to be fair so what does the south have in comparison?

Oh cool this BS is still going, how dare Scotland get something. >_>

I for one am very happy SLA is in Scotland because it means I can actually go, God knows I wouldn't attend if it wasn't near by.

Speaking of SLA, City Hunter movie please...pleeeeeease ;_;

Its just now people act like you cant be fans without going which is more of the problem,
Maybe just ignore people like that, they're clearly idiots.

It’s not that Scotland gets something it’s there’s nothing comparable for other people and just said you wouldn’t go if it wasn’t nearby that’s how I feel yet here this went.

I dont oppose the north getting more stuff its just got to be fair so what does the south have in comparison?
Cons happen where people make them happen. I think it’s probably time for a thread split if we wanna discuss this more, but in all honesty doc there’s nothing stopping you or someone in your area from organising a local con if you think there’d be demand. If you don’t think there’d be demand, that’s probably why there isn’t one.

Also I feel like you guys probably need to shop around for rail fares and split-ticket. Or I should open an anime con travel agency.

As I said before, Glasgow and especially Edinburgh have put decades of effort into making themselves cities that are attractive for events like this, yes there should be similar events down south but I don't think it's fair to complain about uk premieres being in a part of the country that has worldwide recognition for its festivals.

Concerning Tanya- valid points have been made but I still think it was stupid to schedule it to overlap with another anime panel. I remember back when we got MCM Loves Anime a few years ago, there was going to be a Sunrise panel after the Gundam screening. But as this was an external ticketed event, that panel was wisely moved to inside the actual convention the next day where more people could attend for 'free'.

Another reason I'd love to go to SLA some time. Anime stuff at MCM often ends up at the whims of the show organizers, who don't always make the best choices.

Checked train prices to SLA from where I live.

£173,90 and would be a 16 hour journey

MCM would of cost me £41.90 just in train travel.

Trains are not cheap. If they are where you live then good for you.

The thing with virtually no cons in Wales (none focused on anime, I think there was kamehacon but that's actually gone now) is that Wales doesn't really have a very big community for it, we only get cons for huge franchises like star wars, trek Dr.Who among a few other "home grown" franchises.

I think one of the main problems is that no one wants to go to Wales

It’s not that Scotland gets something it’s there’s nothing comparable for other people and just said you wouldn’t go if it wasn’t nearby that’s how I feel yet here this went.

I do understand how tough it is to spot stuff outside of your own area so here's a list - as you'll see there are definitely some other things on:
  • In the North of England: There's Leeds Film Festival - which runs an anime day every year still and we share programming ideas with annually. Run in November.

• In Wales: There's Kotatsu Film Festival which is comparable because I assist in programming it year-on-year and runs in September time

• In the South: Everytime we do a premiere, we do it there with guests. London Film Festival annually programs 1-3 anime films into its line up. The BFI also hosts a bi-annual Anime Weekend (next one is coming up soon!)

• In Ireland: The Japanese Film Festival programs a good anime line-up annually every April - I love the festival & Dublin so strongly recommend folks try that if they also fancy a bit of live action too!

• Across the UK: Covering Northern Ireland out in a cheeky way - the Japan Foundation run every year programs anime and runs across the UK. I know QFT usually screens the JF line-up inc the anime anyway.
A film festival is blood, sweat and tears and I have worked for 10 years solid to create something that is recognised to this degree and gets such a reaction from people. It's had a huge amount of pitfalls and struggles to get there.

Also worth keeping in mind us when I founded SLA, there was N O T H I N G in Scotland for anime film unless we were blessed by a Ghibli film in the cinemas. We got one test of the Anime All Nighter from Sci-Fi London in 2004 that showed Lady Death, Parasite Dolls, RahXephon the Movie and something else I forget now and that was it at the time!

There's also a limited quantity of premieres around so of course one event will come to prevalence in the end - after ten years I'd hope that's us! Guest costs are always high but they deliver immeasurable to you, the cinema goers, that I think makes for an unforgettable experience. That's something that AL does support as I see a strong value to it from an anime community point of view so of course I'll run it where I grew up.

Re franchise film - Why I made a film festival is I want to show people things I love and make a medium I adore deeply available to as wide a group as possible. Anime is an amazing medium to tell a story and it's of interest to so many people who just don't know it yet. That means that when I do program a franchise film it has to be in some way accessible if someone who has no knowledge of the show walks in really (it's why when we do Evangelion it's usually as the full selection of films for example).

So I don't hate films like FREE - but they often lose out in the priority chain to original anime or other accessible franchises (would love to put them on sometime though!)

Best,

AP

I do understand how tough it is to spot stuff outside of your own area so here's a list - as you'll see there are definitely some other things on:
  • In the North of England: There's Leeds Film Festival - which runs an anime day every year still and we share programming ideas with annually. Run in November.

• In Wales: There's Kotatsu Film Festival which is comparable because I assist in programming it year-on-year and runs in September time

• In the South: Everytime we do a premiere, we do it there with guests. London Film Festival annually programs 1-3 anime films into its line up. The BFI also hosts a bi-annual Anime Weekend (next one is coming up soon!)

• In Ireland: The Japanese Film Festival programs a good anime line-up annually every April - I love the festival & Dublin so strongly recommend folks try that if they also fancy a bit of live action too!

• Across the UK: Covering Northern Ireland out in a cheeky way - the Japan Foundation run every year programs anime and runs across the UK. I know QFT usually screens the JF line-up inc the anime anyway.
A film festival is blood, sweat and tears and I have worked for 10 years solid to create something that is recognised to this degree and gets such a reaction from people. It's had a huge amount of pitfalls and struggles to get there.

Also worth keeping in mind us when I founded SLA, there was N O T H I N G in Scotland for anime film unless we were blessed by a Ghibli film in the cinemas. We got one test of the Anime All Nighter from Sci-Fi London in 2004 that showed Lady Death, Parasite Dolls, RahXephon the Movie and something else I forget now and that was it at the time!

There's also a limited quantity of premieres around so of course one event will come to prevalence in the end - after ten years I'd hope that's us! Guest costs are always high but they deliver immeasurable to you, the cinema goers, that I think makes for an unforgettable experience. That's something that AL does support as I see a strong value to it from an anime community point of view so of course I'll run it where I grew up.

Re franchise film - Why I made a film festival is I want to show people things I love and make a medium I adore deeply available to as wide a group as possible. Anime is an amazing medium to tell a story and it's of interest to so many people who just don't know it yet. That means that when I do program a franchise film it has to be in some way accessible if someone who has no knowledge of the show walks in really (it's why when we do Evangelion it's usually as the full selection of films for example).

So I don't hate films like FREE - but they often lose out in the priority chain to original anime or other accessible franchises (would love to put them on sometime though!)

Best,

AP

Random note Andrew, for the North area could you also consider teaming up with The Light cinema at some point? They recently ran an anime season that screened mostly Ghibli but also Broly and Mary Witch Flower. Both The Light Cinema (cinema chain in various locations, more incoming) and Showroom Cinema in Sheffield could be useful for some one-off anime season titles, like imagine a four-film mini-festival dedicated to Penguin Highway, Maquia, Mirai, and Ride Your Wave later down the line. Just saying.

Disclaimer: I watched Penguin Highway at the Showroom cinema during the Japan Touring Programme, was a great film.

Back