General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

I honestly don't think you can tell someone who he can dislike, or like regardless if they are being dismissive or not. That sounds more eltist than anything tbh.
I didn't tell him/her what they can and can't watch just mix it up a bit now and then he/she may find something they do like.

Props to your Mum for enjoying her anime to be fair! 👍

I first got my mother hooked on Avatar: The Last Air Bender series years ago, but she has also seen and loves a slew of actual Japanese anime, too - She's of course seen all the Ghibli movies at my six Ghibli Movie Marathons I've hosted in my theater, and I've been showing her a never-ending string of series over the past 3-4 years... A few I've shown her that she is really into are Gosick, A Lull in the Sea, Twelve Kingdoms, Brynhilda, Guin Saga, Moribito, Eden of the East, Snow White with the Red Hair, Yona of the Dawn, Kurau Phantom Memory, Escaflowne, Noir, Last Exile, Emma, Children of the Whales, Violet Evergarden, and Ancient Magus Bride. :cool:

She recently got a new Roku TV in her bedroom and watches anime on my Netflix and Crunchyroll accounts on her own. She's also heavily into K-Dramas on Netflix now as well, lol...

I first got my mother hooked on Avatar: The Last Air Bender series years ago, but she has also seen and loves a slew of actual Japanese anime, too - She's of course seen all the Ghibli movies at my six Ghibli Movie Marathons I've hosted in my theater, and I've been showing her a never-ending string of series over the past 3-4 years... A few I've shown her that she is really into are Gosick, A Lull in the Sea, Twelve Kingdoms, Brynhilda, Guin Saga, Moribito, Eden of the East, Snow White with the Red Hair, Yona of the Dawn, Kurau Phantom Memory, Escaflowne, Noir, Last Exile, Emma, Children of the Whales, Violet Evergarden, and Ancient Magus Bride. :cool:

She recently got a new Roku TV in her bedroom and watches anime on my Netflix and Crunchyroll accounts on her own. She's also heavily into K-Dramas on Netflix now as well, lol...
Fair play! 👍

I'll stick to me Pokemon! 😅 😆

Right Stuf's new mascot looks familiar...

DobhOhbUwAArguN.jpg

I think they are getting at its just a more anthropomorphic version of All the Anime's mascot.
I'm still comparing it, but it also looks like aggretsu. Someone being cute could land them in a heap of trouble! (It's from the creators of hello kitty, too. Branding is pretty much how they've made any money)

First thing I thought of immediately was AL's mascot - but this one is much creepier - kinda makes me not want to buy anything from them, actually... and it's not just a joke, is it - they're serious... :rolleyes:

For me it is that lack of male character merchandise especially when MC is find silly.
Kazuma in Konosuba got his dendroid last and he is MC I just boggles the mind the me. And the women sell more is these days (with a western viewpoint I admit) Kinda sexist.

For me it is that lack of male character merchandise especially when MC is find silly.
Kazuma in Konosuba got his dendroid last and he is MC I just boggles the mind the me. And the women sell more is these days (with a western viewpoint I admit) Kinda sexist.

It's not sexist, it's supply and demand. Taken as a whole, male fans still outnumber female fans, and male fans would much rather buy merchandise of female characters, so it's only logical that more merch would exist for them. They're not going to pour a ton of money into merch that isn't going to sell as well as the alternative.

That's largely a cultural thing I think. Japanese culture doesn't really hold women in such "equal" regard as in the west - heck, even one of the radicals that makes up the kanji for "housewife" is - "broom". I mean, women are seen as important, but it's with regards to domestic duties.

Also, I don't know statistics, and I know that there's anime for all demographics, but I'd bet that a large portion of it's viewing base is male. I mean, you only need to look around here!

Where all mah ladies at? 😸😹😸

Last edited by a moderator:
But in Japan women buys things there must be a reason is selling Free S3 is selling more BDs than Violet Evergarden did.
And it is culture but AL are selling it in the UK so I would they follow our culture and ask where is Free! from KyoAni stuff and where is Kaworu and Shinji on the EVA stuff

But in Japan women buys things there must be a reason is selling Free S3 is selling more BDs than Violet Evergarden did.

I was talking about the west, Japan is a whole different kettle of fish. The problem in Japan is that guys are more likely to buy the anime while the female auidence just buy manga and the merch.

*waves*

I've only skimmed this thread, but I agree with the general statement that sadly there are more guys in the viewing base than girls, but I also think some of that is because the girls just aren't as vocal so it comes across that way even if it isn't 100% true.
*Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeze* 😹😸😹

I'd say you raise a good point there Demelza 😺

Could it be a case of girls perhaps worrying that they'd perhaps get the mickey taken out of them for admitting to liking anime? I kind of get the same vibe from the hardcore gaming fans - the consensus that we're just not allowed to like these things?

Back