General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

I don't understand what's elitist about only wanting to watch what you like. That would be like me not being able to watch Star Wars or Blade Runner because the Twilight Saga exists.

People like what they like and dislike what they don't so I guess we're all elitist to some extent.
He's being dismissive it's like saying I won't watch akira because it's old and it's just anime he's taking it way too seriously and yes there is thinks I dislike like pop because these so called artists are talentless hacks unlike artists from previous decades the 1980s and back.

So why bother watching anime then since you don't like the majority of anime and you sound elitist with the old I only watch serious anime.

I'm gonna dump it in this thread to keep the other on topic but I feel the need to chime in myself here. I agree with @Patient-X - I don't see an issue with just liking what you like. We're all entitled to like different things at the end of the day and it would be pretty damn boring if we were all the same.

I'm a case in point: I actually find anime really hard to get into. Sure there are things I do like and enjoy, but as a medium, I don't find it as approachable as say Disney or Dreamworks, or classic cartoons like Loony Tunes or Tom and Jerry. It's very niche, and with so many styles and genres out there to cater to different demographics, how can you expect to like everything? I'm really selective about what I choose to even look into, because I just know I'm not going to like everything. My appreciation for it lies mostly in it's aesthetics , and even then, there are certain visual styles that I prefer over others - some just don't appeal at all! Then there's characters - I tend to find characters in anime very hard to gel to, and often, plots and storylines can be confusing and hard to follow. Combined with potential factors such as poor writing; bad scripting etc - I never have high expectations when watching an anime, but I need to like enough of it's elements otherwise it's lost me!

I personally don't think you always have to bite the donut to know that it's sweet. I'm someone who isn't going to watch something "just because it's anime". I'm just not even remotelly compelled to check out everything. I was only recently being open to @Neil.T about this very thing actually - about how I'm acutely aware of the fact that we have differing levels of interest in anime, and we're both totally cool about it - I respect 1000+% that he's well into it and loves to read up on stuff. He's really knowledgeable about certain things, but that's because he wants to know that stuff. Personally, I'm just not bothered about all of that - my interest is purely casual in nature by comparison. That said though, I've already said to Neil that I'm definitely up for checking out some of the ones he owns, because there are certain ones that he really likes, but, he knows I'm not going to want to watch everything (I put my foot down at Space Dandy - sorry @HWR!). Even I've made the effort to check things out since I've been here, because I wanted to.

@IncendiaryLemon makes an excellent point about how narrow-mindedness can be of detriment to your appreciation of what's out there, and I agree with that sentiment generally, but at the same time (and as much as it pains me to admit it), I do feel where @Girls wIth Guns is coming from. Sure, he is reeeeeeeally selective in what he likes, but at the end of the day, what's really wrong with that? He likes what he likes and he's happy with that. I personally find it much easier to be open-minded about stuff I already have a fundamental interest in, like art or music for example.

So long as you're not bashing someone else's interests and what they like, then, happy days! I have no interest whatsoever in the type of anime that GWG likes. But, I respect that he likes those things. Let's all just celebrate that we have something in common: we like a bit of anime! 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly don't think you can tell someone who he can dislike, or like regardless if they are being dismissive or not. That sounds more eltist than anything tbh.

I'm gonna dump it in this thread to keep the other on topic but I feel the need to chime in myself here. I agree with @Patient-X - I don't see an issue with just liking what you like. We're all entitled to like different things at the end of the day and it would be pretty damn boring if we were all the same.

I'm a case in point: I actually find anime really hard to get into. Sure there are things I do like and enjoy, but as a medium, I don't find it as approachable as say Disney or Dreamworks, or classic cartoons like Loony Tunes or Tom and Jerry. It's very niche, and with so many styles and genres out there to cater to different demographics, how can you expect to like everything? I'm really selective about what I choose to even look into, because I just know I'm not going to like everything. My appreciation for it lies mostly in it's aesthetics , and even then, there are certain visual styles that I prefer over others - some just don't appeal at all! Then there's characters - I tend to find characters in anime very hard to gel to, and often, plots and storylines can be confusing and hard to follow. Combined with potential factors such as poor writing; bad scripting etc - I never have high expectations when watching an anime, but I need to like enough of it's elements otherwise it's lost me!

I personally don't think you always have to bite the donut to know that it's sweet. I'm someone who isn't going to watch something "just because it's anime". I'm just not even remotelly compelled to check out everything. I was only recently being open to @Neil.T about this very thing actually - about how I'm acutely aware of the fact that we have differing levels of interest in anime, and we're both totally cool about it - I respect 1000+% that he's well into it and loves to read up on stuff. He's really knowledgeable about certain things, but that's because he wants to know that stuff. Personally, I'm just not bothered about all of that - my interest is purely casual in nature by comparison. That said though, I've already said to Neil that I'm definitely up for checking out some of the ones he owns, because there are certain ones that he really likes, but, he knows I'm not going to want to watch everything (I put my foot down at Space Dandy - sorry @HWR!). Even I've made the effort to check things out since I've been here, because I wanted to.

@IncendiaryLemon makes an excellent point about how narrow-mindedness can be of detriment to your appreciation of what's out there, and I agree with that sentiment generally, but at the same time (and as much as it pains me to admit it), I do feel where @Girls wIth Guns is coming from. Sure, he is reeeeeeeally selective in what he likes, but at the end of the day, what's really wrong with that? He likes what he likes and he's happy with that. I personally find it much easier to be open-minded about stuff I already have a fundamental interest in, like art or music for example.

So long as you're not bashing someone else's interests and what they like, then, happy days! I have no interest whatsoever in the type of anime that GWG likes. But, I respect that he likes those things. Let's all just celebrate that we have something in common: we like a bit of anime! 👍
Space Dandy is a comedy, and comedy is probably the most divisive genre when it comes to personal taste and preference so I totally understand that you might not care for it like others do. I’ll give the series even more love on your behalf, baby!

Space Dandy is a comedy, and comedy is probably the most divisive genre when it comes to personal taste and preference so I totally understand that you might not care for it like others do. I’ll give the series even more love on your behalf, baby!

I think yeah, comedy is very subjective, and it does really depend on what you like. Some comedy is very sharp and clever, and relies on it's play of words (as well as timing), while some is more slapstick and visual, and not all of it is going to appeal to everyone. Anime caters to so many genres, and at the end of the day, since I'm not even a massive film/media buff as it is, that in itself probably makes it less accessible than stuff like Disney for example, which I've always been a massive fan of, not only for it's animation, but also just the quality of films they produce. Even now with the CGI stuff - I never used to be a fan of CGI, but with improvements in technology and the ability to make things look less rigid, they just look so impressive and immersive - I forget I'm even watching something that's made by computers, and that's testament to the strong storywriting skills, visual development and character designs of the production staff.

I mean, I'm not a fan of graphic violence for example, so why would I want to watch an anime that has graphic violence in it? Same with horror - I'm not into horror in the slightest, so I'm hardly going to be compelled to watch an anime horror. That said, things like the Ghibli films could be considered more accessible and appealing to a general audience, but personally, I'm not a fan. That's not to say at all that Miyazaki is lacking in any quality as a creator, but personally, his films just don't appeal to me. His style of storytelling isn't my cup of tea.

I’ve been told what I should like many times especially in the anime community
You're likely hanging out with the wrong crowd there mate. Nothing wrong with well-meaning reccomendations from people (and even then, no one's forcing you to watch it), but if people are actually telling you what you should like, then that's probably an element of the more toxic side of fandoms - just my opinion, but you'd do better to steer clear of those.

Just enjoy what you want to enjoy :)

..... That said, things like the Ghibli films could be considered more accessible and appealing to a general audience, but personally, I'm not a fan. That's not to say at all that Miyazaki is lacking in any quality as a creator, but personally, his films just don't appeal to me. His style of storytelling isn't my cup of tea.

Nothing wrong with only liking what you like and all, but I still find it hard to believe that's the same person who watches RWBY...

Lol, Yay RWBY! ;) I've already bought four tickets again this year just like last year, to go see the Fathom Event Premier for first episode (Chapter) of RWBY Volume 6 at a local theater on October 25th, two days before the Chapter 1 release on Roosterteeth's site. So it's not just me who enjoys RWBY - The next door neighbor couple in their 30's are going again this year, as is my 75 year old mother - and they all love RWBY and are excited for the new season. And if you make fun of my mum for loving RWBY, I'll beat you up! :mad::D

Can't wait for the JP LE box set release for Volume 5 coming soon - They do love their RWBY in Japan, too, as you can tell by the amazing look of their releases compared to the plain-vanilla US releases. I've got all of the previous volumes in my collection, they're absolutely gorgeous... Here's the first three volumes comprising the Beacon Arc:

3rwbyjple.jpg

Last edited:
Back