Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

I think why it’s cindusing to people is they are authoring discs in France theorefore they are authoring discs....

Until I see proof of the contrary, I'm convinced the video assets will be identical to Funimation's, just with French language options swapped with the English ones. I honestly don't see why the video would change. Plus, they author discs in France out of necessity, there is no other French version in the world, I'm sure if AL FR could copy someone else's discs and save a boat load of money, they totally would.

Last edited:
Not really? Their hands are tied. It's expensive for them to author their own discs, hence why they only resort to doing so when other masters don't exist, so really they only have what Funi give them. They can't fix authoring issues on a disc they did not author. Yes, it sucks, but AL can not do a single thing about it unless Funi themselves do a reauthor. I can see where you are coming from on it, but you have to understand the perspective of AL too.

But they did set a precedent with Durarara!! on BD, when Siren's master turned out so poorly that they went and reauthored it themselves further down the line, and offered a disc exchange. It raises expectations.

I had a quick look at the GITSSAC check discs before passing them on to another reviewer on MyReviewer, and I was happy enough to keep my pre-order. It does have issues, although I didn't notice any chaptering problems with the episodes I sampled. The interlacing problem is one of 30fps footage not converting to 24 fps smoothly. That's basically the CG stuff, the rest of the animation is fine.

I had a quick look at the GITSSAC check discs before passing them on to another reviewer on MyReviewer, and I was happy enough to keep my pre-order. It does have issues, although I didn't notice any chaptering problems with the episodes I sampled. The interlacing problem is one of 30fps footage not converting to 24 fps smoothly. That's basically the CG stuff, the rest of the animation is fine.

So pretty much what I assumed was what the interlacing was referring to early on. Overall it's safe to say that this UK release is still better than the Anchor Bay US release, however the Korean release still wins for the folks who want the very best experience altogether. While I would like to get Manga's CE I currently cannot afford it *sobs*.

Until I see proof of the contrary, I'm convinced the video assets will be identical to Funimation's, just with French language options swapped with the English ones. I honestly don't see why the video would change. Plus, they author discs in France out of necessity, there is no other French version in the world, I'm sure if AL FR could copy someone else's discs and save a boat load of money, they totally would.

Unfortunatly for you AL France confirmed to a menber of a French review site that they won't be using the same master they don't work with Funimation, they are using the Japanese masters.
They'll do a in-house authoring, like what they alway do for French exclusive editions, aka : GITS, Cat's eyes, Cobra, Gate, Jin-roh etc.
Even Kill la Kill has not the same authoring in France than in the UK (The UK is better in this case tho).
Also don't forget the "You Name" case, AL could use the same master (to recoup the cost) but no, the result was a perfectly fine French release in comparaison to the ugly UK/AUS edition.

Last edited:
For anyone curious, a French reviewer I know, ViCklatereur will be doing a review on his channel of the French @Anime set of Re:Zero, so he can confirm the picture quality (as I've shown him how terrible the US/UK set is).

I mainly got the UK GitS set for the book and the packaging, as I already own both the JP box sets and the KR Lenticulars for the two series and movies - although the chapter stop issues on the discs will bug me the most, because I always skip the OP and ED after seeing them once, along with any recaps, credits, or previews, as I prefer to binge-watch episodes as a continuous movie.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Collector's Edition Blu-ray

Content:
Video:
  • Interlacing issues reported throughout. This is likely to be caused by the series presented in 1080p when the Japanese master was in 1080i.
  • While UK reviewers have yet to report on this, as this is based on the French master there will be video banding as well.

The standard edition Blu-ray discs will feature correct chapter stops (confirmed via press release).

What I meant was, if the discs are actually the same physically - same disc art, episodes per disc, and disc count for the first season, then it would be possible at the very least to purchase the standard set on sale at some point and replace the discs ourselves - if no formal replacement scheme comes to fruition.

Escaflowne Blu-ray Anime Limited.

Episode 9, Disc 3 (the reissued disc) Audio dropout in Japanese track for about a tenth of a second at 8:39 into disc. Note that the audio is fine on the Bandai DVD.

I should've stated this a long time ago, but the audio dropout was also on the defective disc (with the subtitle size issue) at the exact same time (this was also for a tenth of a second).

Back