Upcoming UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Artwork

Interesting we dont have the slipcover like AL FR
KIZNAIVER_collector_3D-open_BD-FR-shopexclu_1024x1024.png

The Miss Hokusai UE slip was perfect, one spine with the logo's, the other side clean. That's the only time they ever did that though AFAIA.

Hopefully the slipcover art is in one of the books at least.

So then the UK set has a text-less spine, it looks like. I like wrap-around art but they should still put the tile on the spine, at least. But I suppose text-less is still better than having to see that unappealing AL elephant-butt logo on the spine.

The title is on the spine it's just hard to see because it clashes so much with the artwork, I'd definitely would have preferred the slipcover tbh, even if I do love the artwork.

Not to sound too petty, but I'm a little bit bummed we don't get that outer sleeve, makes ours feel a bit more incomplete by comparison.

I think it’s because people hate the AL logo in UK while France seems they don’t care

The title is on the spine it's just hard to see because it clashes so much with the artwork, I'd definitely would have preferred the slipcover tbh, even if I do love the artwork.

Actually - it's because I did the design work and France has one for two reasons:
  • Firstly - They have 2 SKUs - 1 BD and 1 DVD so they need to differentiate and an O-Card is the best way to do that.

• Secondly - There was a lot of promotion around simulcast done using the keyart a lot in promotion so wanted the set be recognisable (plus physical retail is still a big thing in France).
On the other hand I was taken by the box art and wanted folks to get full visibility. The logo is both spot UV'd to stand out on the spine and is also large on the reverse side of the box as well so at events it'll still be obvious in advance at events when selling and outside of that we don't expect much on physical retail for this one (the standard is another story but that'll use the keyart).

The downside to an O-Card is it usually sits there all the time, kind of over-riding the artwork underneath as it only gets shown when you want to access the discs (unless you're an anarchist and hide your O-Cards elsewhere!)

So there's the logic on it folks, like it or not it was a design choice from me based on my preferences here! You may now throw rocks at me ohohoho~

So then the UK set has a text-less spine, it looks like. I like wrap-around art but they should still put the tile on the spine, at least. But I suppose text-less is still better than having to see that unappealing AL elephant-butt logo on the spine.

Man you've seen some odd elephants in your time (and obviously spent a while staring at their behinds too...), glad you switched from doing that to watching anime! We tend to keep our collector's packaging pretty neutral now by the by unless there's an O-Card on it then it goes on, so by not including one our logo is just on the top of box and the onsert :)

Best,

AP

I think it’s because people hate the AL logo in UK while France seems they don’t care
Actually no, some people complained they had an ego problem like Kazé, putting their logo on all the spines (top, bottom…) but they just deleted the comments and banned the complainers. Classic.

Yes - the one on the right doesn't have hemorrhoids... :p

See, I'm very evil - now that I've compared the logo to an Elephant's butt, everyone can't not see it now, lol... ;)

And, you basically copied my post on BR.com from two years ago, Patient-X - I was comparing it to an elephant's butt way back then:

Blu-ray Forum - View Single Post - Kickstarter Projects - Anime & Manga

Sorry Andrew! I actually avoided importing AL releases until after you started doing clean CE boxes, without the AL and BBFC logos on the front and spine - now I have almost two 3-foot shelves full of mostly AL releases. :cool:

Last edited:
Back