DARLING in the FRANXX: Episode 24

The latest reference this time around is Gunbuster & Diebuster and Gurren Lagann:
Our main two protagonists go through space to defeat the enemy while the rest of humanity is back on earth doing their stuff and growing up. They eventually return many many decades & centuries later. Only in this case our main two protagonists are basically 'reincarnated' into different people who look like them.

The latest reference this time around is Gunbuster & Diebuster and Gurren Lagann:
Our main two protagonists go through space to defeat the enemy while the rest of humanity is back on earth doing their stuff and growing up. They eventually return many many decades & centuries later. Only in this case our main two protagonists are basically 'reincarnated' into different people who look like them.
I could buy decades but not centuries. they only spent two years to reach VIRM after all. I felt that it tried to put too much in, everyone else's story, squad 13 almost single handedly repopulating earth, could have done better if there was more to what VIRM is, the anti-spiral in Lagaan was developed compared to them

I could buy decades but not centuries. they only spent two years to reach VIRM after all. I felt that it tried to put too much in, everyone else's story, squad 13 almost single handedly repopulating earth, could have done better if there was more to what VIRM is, the anti-spiral in Lagaan was developed compared to them
I could buy that it was centuries that it took for them to get back to Earth, because in episode 23 they went through the gate thing which I'm assuming allow them to travel vast distances into space instantly.

I was a bit disappointed that they went the root of reincarnation, I was hoping they were going to somehow get back to earth have a couple kids etc. I did like the fact that the rest of the people on earth did all start having kids and figuring out how to survive on the earth without using the magma energy they had left, and i did like that Futoshi job was a baker it just seemed like the perfect fit for him. Overall I really enjoyed the series and I would give it a 8/10

As finales go, this was actually one of the better ones. It was well paced and we saw how the rest of squad 13 did on Earth and the future of Earth.

The last quarter of the show was absolutely mad but overall I enjoyed the experience.

Satisfying conclusion to a huge mess of a show. I don't think Franxx every accomplished what it set out to do, but the ride has been fun and the ending offered enough closure where I'm not disappointed.

Man though, everyone had so many kids! I'm happy with the couplings everyone ended up in though and the idea of Hiro and Zero 2 eventually meeting back up was just what the show needed to finish it off.

Having not looked at these posts I’ve got no idea what people have said or what’s gone on but am currently catching up with this series, I’ve enjoyed it up to where I am (episode 10 or thereabouts) and am definitely interested to see where it god. May end up sharing more thoughts when I finish this series.

Not the worst ending ever but the writing was a mess. Studios really need to invest in better writers if they go anime original. Franxx was a fun ride but also disappointing as to what could have been.

It felt like a total cop-out to me. A way to finish the story (albeit badly) but still leave it open for a second season. Only this time they get to have the same character designs but with new stuff for whatever will replace the mechs. Merchandising ahoy!
I see them making a second season where humanity makes the same mistakes but VIRM are the baddies.

Pretty much every character or plot twist in this series could be compared to another anime. I enjoyed the characters though and wanted to see which anime they'd rob next.
It was a 7/10 previously but that finale was very disappointing for me, makes the series on a whole not worth the investment and brings my overall rating down to a 5.
I don't think I could recommend it to someone knowing what they come out of it with.
Also, given the LWA and Kill La Kill games, how long til they do one of this? Not getting the character development of the series wouldn't result in much.

I never really found the series to be all that bad. Sure there were a couple of minor issues along the way but that's all they were to me. I was honestly quite happy to see the references to previous Trigger/Gainax works and the big Gurren Lagann style ending was a nice resolution to the character's I've come to like over the season.

My one issue is that maybe if they had another six episodes (unlikely with the current cour standard) then maybe they could have eased us into the VIRM arc better and expand on some plot points.

In the end I would seriously place this among my favourite Trigger (even if it was a collaboration with CloverWorks) shows though to be fair all the Trigger shows I've seen have been pretty great. Not quite as good as Gurren Lagann or KLK but more around the level of LWA and Kiznaiver.

I only spotted this thread yesterday, so let me chime in after the fact. :)

My opinion is simply that a two-year slow crawl through space doesn't make for much of a finale. Also, Hringhorni, whose construction was hinted at in the same way as Evangelion's Mark.06, was just as much of a damp squib in the end.

And then the very last part threw in the concept of reincarnation, which had never been a theme of the series up until that point.

And future Futoshi's moustache looks silly. So there.

I've never seen Evangelion, Gunbuster, or Diebuster, dropped that horrible Gurran Lagan after just a few episodes, and hated Kill la Kill - so the Franxx ending, whatever it is, will be totally fresh and new to me, lol... :cool:

I still have not had the time to watch the final episode, I hope to get to it maybe this weekend.

I've never seen Evangelion, Gunbuster, or Diebuster, dropped that horrible Gurran Lagan after just a few episodes, and hated Kill la Kill - so the Franxx ending, whatever it is, will be totally fresh and new to me, lol... :cool:

I still have not had the time to watch the final episode, I hope to get to it maybe this weekend.

You dropped Gurren Lagann that early yet stuck with Franxx until the end?! Absolute madman!

You dropped Gurren Lagann that early yet stuck with Franxx until the end?! Absolute madman!

Lol, I have no Idea why I stuck with Franxx, giant robot mecha series are usually a big turnoff for me, and these mech were even stupid-cartoony looking. I really was not into the series much at all until after the beach episode, then it got into more of the relationship stuff that I much preferred over a bunch of mindless mech battles. Still, for some reason (maybe because Zero Two was pretty hot looking?) it kept my interest much more than the beginning of Gurren Lagann, which was just total crap from the very first episode.

Lol, I have no Idea why I stuck with Franxx, giant robot mecha series are usually a big turnoff for me, and these mech were even stupid-cartoony looking. I really was not into the series much at all until after the beach episode, then it got into more of the relationship stuff that I much preferred over a bunch of mindless mech battles. Still, for some reason (maybe because Zero Two was pretty hot looking?) it kept my interest much more than the beginning of Gurren Lagann, which was just total crap from the very first episode.

And yet you provide absolutely no reasoning for your write off of a total classic.

Got to say the ending did nothing for me. If they had not swapped the enemy out or had had time to build up the new enemy it may have worked better, as it is it totally detracts from the show for me.

Back