Re:ZERO's Video Quality in UK/US discs Discussion

I reckon this could work for something like a film which AL might want to bring over to Europe. For example AL confirmed Penguin Highway for 2019 so if Dynit got it as well then I guess that would be an example of such.
Mirai could perhaps also work, since AL (UK/FR) and Dynit have the rights to that movie.

However, if there were to be any collaboration with a party outside UK/FR, I'd reckon it's more likely to see a collaboration between AL FR and Cinéart BE/NL than with Dynit, since Cinéart also owns the French language rights.

Okay so before I commented on the issue at all I've been waiting to judge for myself to see whether the banding was as bad in real life, and finally got the time tonight and was disappointed to find that it was worse than I expected, and I don't even sit very close to the TV. As it stands I won't be buying part 2 if this same issue occurs, it's a shame that the awful picture quality really brings down the beautiful set that AL created.

IMG_20180701_001116304~3.jpg
(This was also my expression to be honest)

I'll say this once again. If it's a case of owning or not owning the set then I will buy it. There is no alternative, I don't see why I would cut my nose off to spite my face because of a banding issue.

I'm going to wait for either a standard, or a fixed version. I have no desire to rush into a bad release.

Who said it's ever getting fixed though? Funimation don't care. I'm also baffled as to why some folks are picking up the US set which has exactly the same issue so you're just paying more.

I mean I’d rather not own it when I can (and do) have access to a better version for free and if I really loved the show somewhere will do a good version

Honestly the way AL and Funimation handles this mess baffles me. In fact I probably won't preorder any future releases of AL until there are reviews. This sadly includes any Cardcaptor Sakura related products, because I don't want to get burned twice.

If anyone at Anime Limited is reading these posts, you'll notice I'm the one who has been constantly bringing this up. You must think I hate you guys, but I don't. AL is a rare exception- a company who actually cares about their fans and interacts with them. I only bring it up so often because you are our only chance of getting good quality products.

AL had the best intentions with the Re:Zero release. The packaging is much better than the US release, and using the same discs made it able to be released within the same time frame. However, the picture quality is beyond awful. It is bad, atrocious even. If I were in your shoes, I'd delay it and tell everyone that you get better video as a result, perhaps even showing off FUNimation's release and pointing out the flaws. While the disc isn't technically defective- as in it works- those are some of the lowest standards I've seen. I wouldn't call it disappointing whatsoever, it's insulting.

But, I'm tired of everyone here giving AL a free pass. I'd like to think that the people who actually buy anime Blu-rays care about getting good picture quality, so releasing anything in that state, regardless of good intentions is a cheap move in my book. It's hard to please everyone, and that's the toughest thing. I like this company, Anime Limited, love them even. I especially love when you guys use the same encodes from Aniplex or Japan (like in the case of Outlaw Star- man that is the best). I put my money where quality is, and sadly only the Japanese release is of quality.

Plus, I don't actually like Re:Zero! I think it's an edgy and pretentious piece of garbage, but I'm only this worked up over it because it means a lot to many. I want Anime Limited to succeed, but this is a hard situation- buy it and get garbage quality but supporting western distribution, purchase the Japanese releases supporting the ba$tards at Kadokawa, or just sail the high seas? I'm not gonna do the latter, but many will. If this keeps up, and companies think it acceptable to release BDs with picture quality this bad, then what is the point of buying anime? It's a tough situation, but there's no easy answer, nor a perfect answer.

I hope this lets distributors know where their core market is, and what they want. I do this out of love and respect, though it may sound like I'm being negative for the sake of it, I want Anime Limited to succeed. I don't care about FUNimation despite living in the United States, they have zero quality control. I put my money where quality is, and where passion is. And that is AL.

I dont see why AL should pick ip the tab for shonky masters from Funimation. The fact there have been very little from Funimation just makes me think they hope it all goes away. If it was a less popular show maybe it would. Its about time people called out Funimation for thier anitics such as artcards outside the box and now this.

I think it annoys me more now that im having to import more from them due to lack of any physical realses over hear for new Funimation/ Crunchyroll shows.

They are working with Funimation though so may have a successful outcome with both sides. And the fact people are basically saying ALs “set” looks nice means rubbish to me as the Your Name De Looks nice doesn’t make the discs less defective.

Honestly the way AL and Funimation handles this mess baffles me. In fact I probably won't preorder any future releases of AL until there are reviews. This sadly includes any Cardcaptor Sakura related products, because I don't want to get burned twice.

Woah there. At the risk of being taken out of context on ANN twice in a month, I just wanted to pop in briefly to this before it escalates any further.

I’m very sorry to hear if my first reply was ambiguous or the silence has lead to query how it’s been handled. To clarify - what I have been saying all along is that I need to look into it before I formulate a course of action.

Let’s summarise the scenarios briefly here:

A) If I promised we would fix things -> This would have worked _*if*_ we were certain materials exist in the international licensee side that would allow things to be fixed. If it isn’t and we have to wheel back? That’d be even worse frankly and I’m not going to give false hope where there is none for example.

B) If I said I will never fix it and then we do somehow for our standard edition (or just didn't) -> That would also be a no go for all of us at Anime Ltd on either count. If you’re buying a premium product from us then it makes sense if a standard version comes out with fixes to significant issues with the premium version, then steps should be taken.

C) If we promise we are looking into it, do look into it, form a solution then present something -> Which is indeed what we’re doing. As it became clear after the first phases of checking that it wasn’t a simple “someone done goofed” during the authoring process, we’ve been hard at work to establish what has happened and (more importantly to me) if/what the fixes are before we come back. As this does involve more than just talk to the authoring company (in this case Funimation for the UK) - it takes longer.

If my lack of communication since the initial messages has been taken as me ignoring folks or refusing to do anything, then I’m sorry too!

###

We make an effort to correct things because it is the right thing to do and unfortunately this actually draws a lot more unrelenting criticism and negativity than the alternative that many companies go for by not engaging - which often means complaints just pass by long term (doesn’t make that a cool strategy mind you!)

TL;DR - I still care as much as before - just want to have something definitive to say before I actually enact anything :).

Sadly, taking things out of context is one of the worst things that happen in communication and/or attempts to condense down complex statements or ideas. I am sorry for some of the things I may have said due to that. It sucks, but these things happen, and unless everyone replies stating their true intentions, we will never have a full grasp of everything. I apologise for some rude things I may have said, or have misquoted AL upon. I just feel like doing this after you wrote an incredible response. Thanks for all the hard work, Andrew.

Is it me or do those look better?
The French set has a higher bitrate, but that's it. A higher bitrate is good, but it does not automatically mean a better result. Even with more space (2 BD 50s instead of the 1 BD 50 and BD 25 FUNimation uses) it still looks bad, so the source is most likely the issue. Despite that, they look about the same. Just as awful.

Unless someone like mp3dom goes frame-by-frame and manually debands it (like he did with Madoka Magica), it would still probably look bad.

The French set has a higher bitrate, but that's it. A higher bitrate is good, but it does not automatically mean a better result. Even with more space (2 BD 50s instead of the 1 BD 50 and BD 25 FUNimation uses) it still looks bad, so the source is most likely the issue. Despite that, they look about the same. Just as awful.

Unless someone like mp3dom goes frame-by-frame and manually debands it (like he did with Madoka Magica), it would still probably look bad.
Ah thanks for the insight. I was viewing them from a phone so just wanted to be sure if it wasn't because of the small screen :x

Bitrate isn't the issue. Take a look at this video at 26 minutes and 16 seconds in.

This is with David Mackenzie, the greatest compressionist for live action films. Both have the same bitrate, but it is the settings that made the earlier shot look worse. If I had to guess it is either the source, or FUNimation has monkeys for compressionsts who have the wrong settings.

Back