UK Anime Distributor Universal Pictures Discussion Thread

I like them.
Same, and the JP Blu Rays for 2016 fixed a lot of the notorious animation issues, it's not perfect but it's an improvement for sure.
tumblr_ofd5tsWCwk1sjroblo5_r1_500.gif

If there's one thing to point out, it's that Universal author their own discs rather than use Funimation's (judging by Arslan and Seraph so far). So this would be a good opportunity for Drifters if they decide to delay it to include the new content (if Funimation decides to do a simuldub or not)..

Exept for My hero Academia, where it was just a pure import from Funimation.
I hope Universal won't do that again.

Ha, I got hammered for saying that over on the BD.com anime forum - beaten to a pulp, no mercy for me, lol... :(

Personally I found the 2016 & 2017 anime to be alright. It did pretty well on tackling some of the more risque scenes while also adding some comedy in the form of poor CG throughout the series.

Music was quite decent and Susumu Hirasawa's insert songs are flawless (I even imported the album because of it). I'm more disappointed that the main dub cast got changed (and even they wanted to come back for it).

Same, and the JP Blu Rays for 2016 fixed a lot of the notorious animation issues, it's not perfect but it's an improvement for sure.
tumblr_ofd5tsWCwk1sjroblo5_r1_500.gif

That is pretty much the only scene they touched up to make a major difference. Just imagine if the entire anime was like the redone scene then it would be awesome, but alas it is not.

also adding some comedy in the form of poor CG throughout the series.

How you word it makes it seem like they planned to make it look horrible. Berserk deserved better.

Ha, I got hammered for saying that over on the BD.com anime forum - beaten to a pulp, no mercy for me, lol... :(
I remember seeing that actually (I stalk but never post:p) some pretty harsh comments considering the Blu Rays will hopefully feature the Improved animation which looks better, and even with the original broadcast it was still fairly enjoyable. It's such a strong series that even a flawed adaptation can still be decent imo (Miura, Haituses aside, is one of the best manga writers/artists) I'm in the minority here but hey ho

Last edited:
That is pretty much the only scene they touched up to make a major difference. Just imagine if the entire anime was like the redone scene then it would be awesome, but alas it is not.

How you word it makes it seem like they planned to make it look horrible. Berserk deserved better.
From all the comparisons I've seen they have cleaned up some of the stiff animation and smoothed out and improved some of the more awkward character designs. Also nipples, because it's Berserk (and Believe me I'd love to see the new Berserk redone in 2D, or in 3D to the standard of the Golden Age films. It's one of my all time favourite mangas)

I remember seeing that actually (I stalk but never post:p) some pretty harsh comments considering the Blu Rays will hopefully feature the Improved animation which looks better, and even with the original broadcast it was still fairly enjoyable. It's such a strong series that even a flawed adaptation can still be decent imo (Miura, Haituses aside, is one of the best manga writers/artists) I'm in the minority here but hey ho

Well, I don't read manga at all, so as long as an anime can stand on its own, I really don't know or care how the original story was written. Sure the manga could be ten times better, but I will never know that, so that reality will never taint my anime viewing experience - I just enjoy my anime (or not) for what it is, and not what it could be.

Last edited:
The improvements the home release made were most welcome and certainly improve the presentation. Honestly though while I fully intend to buy the release and watch all of the Berserk Anime entries the story is just not as good after the Golden Age arc for me so far (I'm not reading the manga and have only watched 2016 of the new stuff as of this post). The Golden Age arc stands alone pretty well now we have the Studio 4c Films.

Also I just want to torture everyone else with this but can you imagine if the new Berserk stuff had been done by David Production? OMG that would have been incredible.

From all the comparisons I've seen they have cleaned up some of the stiff animation and smoothed out and improved some of the more awkward character designs. Also nipples, because it's Berserk (and Believe me I'd love to see the new Berserk redone in 2D, or in 3D to the standard of the Golden Age films. It's one of my all time favourite mangas)

If they wanted a full 3D CGI anime the production committee shouldn't of been cheap, and got either Polygon Studios, or Toei Animation since they both know how to properly do a 3D CGI anime. It's a shame that a committee's choice to be cheap ruined a chance for an epic adaption. The original anime from the 90s while has a funky OP theme is pretty awesome in terms of animation.

Last edited:
If they wanted a full 3D CGI anime the production committee shouldn't of been cheap, and got either Polygon Studios, or Toei Animation since they both know how to properly do a 3D CGI anime. It's a cheap that a committee's choice to be cheap ruined a chance for an epic adaption. The original anime from the 90s while has a funky OP theme is pretty awesome in terms of animation.
Agreed Berserk 97 is one of the best animes. And the OP is great PUT YOUR GRASSES ON:D

Looks to be that way, I'm half tempted to contact Universal and see if they reply but I doubt that'd happen...

isn't drifters in a bad place atm anyway with the new OVA episode that is the bridge between S1 and S2 on the new BD set in JP?

Yeah, I’m really hoping it appears in some future s2 set in the west. Fortunately I read the manga so I won’t be too inconvenienced (unlike with Food Wars...)

R

Back